Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

I fear in the absence of our leader the town has gone slightly insane  send on the Dancing Girls

Curvy%2BLadies%2BFrom%2BEdwardian%2BEra%

there should be a prize to whom ever brings the meeting back to order

Nick

Little Mix?

They scrub up well!

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should mention that.

Miss Stepney again, riding side-saddle on the locomotive of an obscure emu-operated light railway somewhere foreign.

Blimey Kevin, you've excelled yourself this time. Where on earth do you dig 'em up from? Did you just google "girl sitting on emu"? I can imagine that might throw up some non-RMweb-compliant results...

there should be a prize to whom ever brings the meeting back to order

WEEEELL!! If we're ordering, mine's a large malt Whisky, neat, no ice! :sungum:

Jim (just off to pour one to help this d****d cold I have.  It possibly has no medicinal properties, but it does make you feel better!)

I don't mean to be the thread's resident struthiform pedant but I'd contend that the bird in the photo is a male ostrich.

An emu is feathered further up the neck, somewhat smaller and has feathers of a nondescript scruffy colour all over, whereas the white feathers on the wing tips and tail are characteristic of the male Struthio camelus.

Struthiomimus meaning of course an ostrich mimic, so the photo wouldn't be a million miles away.

Just to get us back to modelling, I have a one of these in a cupboard from when I was 13:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/games-workshop/images/0/0a/Cold_One_knight.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20150731002037

Oh wow, that's old school.

• RMweb Gold

While we are rambling about with Edwardian ladies on strange mounts my grandfather snapped this while wiring up Abbassia Barracks in 1912-13. This print was dated on the back - 1912, but another copy of the print had 1913 on the back. Both were in the same hand-writing. Let that be a lesson to you - you can't always rely on the information on old photos.

post-14351-0-25369500-1545169002_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

Wombats aren’t used for hunting.

They are used for playing wom.

They produce dice. Nicely shaped, just use a cocktail stick to make the required number of dots on each face. Handy thing to know if you're stuck in the antipodean Bush and discover you've lost part of your ludo set.

Crikey.  Even with the holidays coming up, I may now never catch up with this topic.

There was some great stuff, including shipping.

My first Norfolk-inspired idea was for a very decayed coastal railway running diminutive 0-4-0STs along the top of sea defences on the north Norfolk coast.  The line would have run to a partially silted up harbour, capable only of accommodating shallow-draft sailing vessels. This idea was inspired by visits to Burnham Overy Staithe.

Well, ultimately the idea became Birchoverham Staithe on the West Norfolk Railway, though I still hanker over that decrepit little coastal line.

Then I built those Castle Acre inspired cottage backs and I found myself modelling Castle Aching, and the opposite end of the line! 

So, the shipping pictured seems perfect for the imagined Expanded Norfolk.

Anyhow, I have been flat out and still have more work to get through than there are working days before Christmas! 

The Eric Ambler novel proved a very good investment, by the way. 

With my Newfound Wealth, I have ordered a louvred chimney pot from Scalelink for the Drill Hall.  Such extravagance!

EDIT: PS, Don't know about Wombats, but I do know that there is nothing that a Wompom cannot do!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7

They produce dice. Nicely shaped, just use a cocktail stick to make the required number of dots on each face. Handy thing to know if you're stuck in the antipodean Bush and discover you've lost part of your ludo set.

Best played wearing those nice blue nitrile surgical gloves!