• RMweb Premium

Honestly... politics, pictures of beautiful women, drug taking...

Careful chaps, we're *modernising*! :O

Yeah... to 1891 when the first Sherlock Holmes came out... It had all that..

post-15969-0-99980800-1545306406.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

Careful chaps, we're *modernising*! :O

But weren't gentlemen of the upper classes into all of these things in Edwardian times?

Jim

• RMweb Gold

But weren't gentlemen of the upper classes into all of these things in Edwardian times?

'Twas ever thus.

Edited by ian

It would probably be possible to make a sound case that social hierarchy, the thing necessary in order for there to be an 'upper class', owes its very existence to alpha-males battling for control of everyone else (politics), nubile women, access to pleasures (drink, drugs, rock n roll), and (missing from the previous list, but taken for granted) food and shelter resources, which usually translates into land, and doing so in order to increase the probability of spread of their genes.

As noted in previous posts: the software shall inherit the Earth.

My very limited Greek tells me aneucaptic means non-smoking, sort of, but they didn't have the technology to do that in 1829. What gives?

Rule 3: "The engine must effectually consume its own smoke"

http://www.railalbum.co.uk/early-railways/rainhill-trials-rules.htm

As noted by Nearholmer, achieved by using coke as the fuel.

Looking at the list, it also pretty well set the standard British loading gauge in that the top of the chimney should not exceed 15ft.

And for an intrinsically beautiful lady, in her "French" mode of 1904,

post-21933-0-23732600-1545314382.jpg

GWR 171 "Albion".  Now THATS "Modern Image"!

Built 1903 as a 4-6-0, converted to 4-4-2 to run as a comparison to the De Ghlen Atlantics and conveted back to 4-6-0 in 1907, having proven that you DON'T need to use compounds for economical running! 171 was a Saint (29xx) class prototype, renumbered as 2971 and scrapped in 1946. 

post-21933-0-23732600-1545314382.jpg

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4

Is it bad that my first thought when you said "French mode" was the high running plate thus revealing the lady's legs? :O

Shakes head

Actually, I was just thinking that the high running plate looked something that Riddles might have come up with in the early 50s.

Never mind lads, one more big push and it'll be over (600) by Christmas!

• RMweb Premium

Shakes head

Actually, I was just thinking that the high running plate looked something that Riddles might have come up with in the early 50s.

Never mind lads, one more big push and it'll be over (600) by Christmas!

That’s just writing posts for the sake of writing.. (dur)... posts......(trails off)

That’s just writing posts for the sake of writing.. (dur)... posts......(trails off)

As if anyone here would commit such a heinous and mischevious act!

post-21933-0-56722500-1545316965.jpg

Anyhow, here's a seasonal photo of an Edwardian home, a pre-grouping Christmas tree!

• Like 5

And for an intrinsically beautiful lady, in her "French" mode of 1904,

attachicon.gifAlbion.jpg

GWR 171 "Albion".  Now THATS "Modern Image"!

Built 1903 as a 4-6-0, converted to 4-4-2 to run as a comparison to the De Ghlen Atlantics and conveted back to 4-6-0 in 1907, having proven that you DON'T need to use compounds for economical running! 171 was a Saint (29xx) class prototype, renumbered as 2971 and scrapped in 1946. 

Is it bad that my first thought when you said "French mode" was the high running plate thus revealing the lady's legs? :O

High running plate, part of Churchward's shockingly American aesthetic.

The French, on the other hand,..... 

post-25673-0-64926400-1545318446.jpg

post-25673-0-50972900-1545318469.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure fruit traffic from the area served by the WNR has been considered before, but here are some M&GN wagon labels. Urgent fruit, red on buff, non-urgent fruit, black on green? Or just a change in style - the red ones seem to be 1907, the black one 1920. The Ancoats and Glasgow labels specify the Midland route but Walton CLC could go either Midland or Great Northern / Great Central. Note also that the 1907 labels include space for details of sheets and undersheets, implying that the traffic could be conveyed in open wagons.

post-29416-0-85638900-1545318661.jpgpost-29416-0-49450100-1545318671.jpgpost-29416-0-53165300-1545318688.jpg

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Those fairies looks a bit heavy for the top branch of the tree.

To get back to serious matters  - sorry - how about some invalid saloons visiting CA for health giving visits to the bracing West Anglian coast? I have come across about a dozen examples in the GWR drawings i have recently been listing, and some are definitely pre-Edwardian  If he GWR had so many I am sure other companies also had some.

Please Moderators remove this post if it is too on-topic.

Jonathan

PS to Talltim - did you enjoy the John Betjeman book when your father read it to you?

• Like 3

I'm sure fruit traffic from the area served by the WNR has been considered before, but here are some M&GN wagon labels. Urgent fruit, red on buff, non-urgent fruit, black on green? Or just a change in style - the red ones seem to be 1907, the black one 1920. The Ancoats and Glasgow labels specify the Midland route but Walton CLC could go either Midland or Great Northern / Great Central. Note also that the 1907 labels include space for details of sheets and undersheets, implying that the traffic could be conveyed in open wagons.

attachicon.gifMGN fruit Ancoats.jpgattachicon.gifMGN fruit Walton.jpgattachicon.gifMGN fruit Glasgow.jpg

The Walton on the Hill one (as might be deduced) Is for Hartleys Jam factory in Liverpool.

Those fairies looks a bit heavy for the top branch of the tree.

To get back to serious matters  - sorry - how about some invalid saloons visiting CA for health giving visits to the bracing West Anglian coast? I have come across about a dozen examples in the GWR drawings i have recently been listing, and some are definitely pre-Edwardian  If he GWR had so many I am sure other companies also had some.

Jonathan

PS to Talltim - did you enjoy the John Betjeman book when your father read it to you?

Topic?  What topic!  :jester:

(Are we there yet...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have we done invalid saloons? I know we've done family saloons and picnic saloons, probably more than once each.

EDIT: updated links to the posts in which Edwardian himself discussed Great Western 6-wheel family and picnic saloons.

Midland Invalid Carriages differed from Family Carriages in having double doors to the main passenger saloon, along with a bed in place of seating.

Edited by Compound2632