Oh dear. I'd avoided getting into that too much with my first post - what have I done!!!

I've done it again - Hole dug, Greathead Shield constructed, tunnel dug, lined out, track laid, railway opened as the Metropolitan Railway...

What!  We'll have no male Terriers around here thank you very much.  Nasty little leg h*****g things.

My perception of the universe is dashed.  All this time I've thought that the TtTE 'Stepney' was female.  Oh woe is me, - how shall I continue...........

But he's only hugging your leg to show how much he likes you!

Anyhow, thats preferable to over-familiar Labradors and Cocker Spaniels at airports....

You DID mean hugging?  :scratchhead:

Oh dear. I'd avoided getting into that too much with my first post - what have I done!!!

I've done it again - Hole dug, Greathead Shield constructed, tunnel dug, lined out, track laid, railway opened as the Metropolitan Railway...

Thought the Metropolitan was mainly cut and cover?  Perhaps you meant the aborted Chunnel at Shakespear Cliff?  Then you could have backfilled yourself in too!

Cornelius

'world's first' for autonomous vehicles is an interesting parlour game.

Some Metros have been using automated control systems that amount to 'bounded autonomy' for some years now, I think ships and aircraft could also be said to have achieved limited autonomy, and locally we can now have our groceries delivered by autonomous robot ....... delivery robots are now a common sight hereabouts https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-46045365

Its like a lot of technologies, where things advance incrementally, along multiple parallel paths, making it nearly impossible to meaningfully pin 'firsts'.

Kevin

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

First time that goes down to the Lakes estate, once the contents are nicked, it'll be seen trundling down the redways on fire...

PS the Lakes estate, was built by Greater London Council in Milton Keynes, anyone they didn't want, got issued a house on the Lakes..

if your car goes missing in MK you know where to go and look for it's remains..

Edited by TheQ

You're missing a key point: the other common use of autonomous vehicles, usually air-borne, is in military applications.

Now, they usually have to "ask Mom" before they can deploy weaponry, but one assumes that flicking a software switch would allow them to defend themselves without asking permission on each occasion, so ........ I tend to treat these outwardly friendly little chaps with respect - who knows what sort of big-stick they carry?

Or, they might set their cousin on you, and he is definitely not to be messed-with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_ground_vehicle#/media/File:Embedded_World_Leopardo_2_UGV_01_(02).jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

May I make it completely clear that I am not suggesting autonomous vehicles for CA! We don't want any contretemps with the predecessors of Jimmy Knapp and his friends.

Though I shouldn't have been surprised to have heard of single manning on some of the more rural branches in West Norfolk, though probably because the fireman was off catching rabbits or fishing - the latter to be carried home in the loco tank, as mentioned in the book on the HH&B line.

Jonathan

Or, they might set their cousin on you, and he is definitely not to be messed-with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_ground_vehicle#/media/File:Embedded_World_Leopardo_2_UGV_01_(02).jpg

But the EuroLink Systems Leopardo B appears to be fitted with a hairdrier/electric iron delivery system....

Edited by Hroth

This thread moves too quickly to reply in anywhere near immediately...

Christmas is an unusual session.  Seemingly everyone rushes about with tasks that are demanded to be urgently done before Christmas and then after Christmas, usually once the bills come through the post, everyone urgently rushes around with more tasks that must be done!  I have nothing at all against Christmas, but when I was still working as a social worker it always had me very much astounded that a 'season of good cheer' could cause so much stress and misery to the human populace at large.   As a good Franciscan I keep my Christmases very simple and entirely non-commercial and I don't stress out over anything.  I can very much recommend it.

All blessings and joy to you and your family this Christmas.

a Franciscan might enjoy an offering from a Trappist "choir"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=1ckKXIHrOcHVkwWnx4TIBg&q=silent+monks+hallelujah&oq=silent+monks+%2B&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30l10.24532.29623..32615...0.0..0.83.455.6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0j0i71j35i39j0i67.PPBR5v52rFs

!

Yes, I thought the robots would vanish inside white vans driven by persons of criminal intent PDQ but they do bristle with cameras so the instant you do something illegal near them(*) you are on film (digital video signal sent instantly back to base no doubt) plus the vehicles will also be sending accurate GPS readings back to base as well, so running off with one will be like holding up a big red flag announcing "Here I am, please come and catch me, Mr Copper".

Though this all pre-supposes Britain has enough Rozzers actually available to chase after robot theives which is doubtful.

(*) Which raises yet another matter of you being recorded in a public place whenever one of these goes by. Even if you're not doing anything unlawful. I guess its just a matter of time before we see delivery robot video footage used in a court as evidence to aid in a prosecution.

As for autonomous trains, here is one I prepared earlier:

Edited by Martin S-C

Given that they must be quite valuable, and that the general response to them is to think of them as small creatures, rather than objects, then a more likely ‘crime’ might be ‘robot-napping’ ...... and, with the ‘walking home late from the pub while brimming with cheer’ season upon us, I forecast that it will happen soon. Immobilising one is dead simple: stand it on bricks, so that it’s wheels don’t touch the ground, stick a silly hat on it, and send all your mates the photo via Instagram.

• RMweb Gold

I'd advise SEM to put down his shovel. First rule of getting into a hole? Stop digging!

Unless you are making a tunnel, of course. (A hole with two ends?)

In which case, you can finish the task 2 years late._

Good to know that, in the vanishingly improbable circumstances in which I deem it necessary to call into question the mental powers of any individual female member of this forum, I can simply refer to her as a "stupid people".

Those Parliamentarians; clearly far brighter than I am to have come up with that!