• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

London, Pooh Corner

I know that a lot of people have a dislike of our capital city, but that’s a bit strong, isn’t it?

Oh. There’s an “h” there....

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Regularity said:

I know that a lot of people have a dislike of our capital city, but that’s a bit strong, isn’t it?

Oh. There’s an “h” there....

I thought Poo(h) Corner was the M25/M3 interchange.

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Now I'm confused. No. 2 box, the box on the south side of the triangle, doesn't control any connection with the Midland, so what's "Midland Home"? The box at the north side of the triangle makes more sense.

Having also been confused from the start, I shall try to work through my confusion:

Grandma Buxton got married off by my wife just before we left to work abroad in the the mid 1960s, after she'd been left widowed with a younger daughter still at school.

An advert in the Buxton Advertiser about desiring a man with a trilby hat netted Tom from a clutch of respondents, interviewed over High tea (tete a tete) at Collinsons Cafe in Spring Gardens.

We were all delighted when Tom and M-in-law were married at Fairfield and moved into a big house on Lightwood Road within 5 mins of one of Tom's pair of principle boxes: Buxton and a 10 minute drive in his little Bedford van to his original Box at Peak Forest.  
He'd worked at PF since leaving school in the pre-war glory day's of Lemon's LMS, and spent the entire war in Peak Forest Box, often working combined shifts on his own through the night.

We all enjoyed 'long Home leave' visits to Buxton where we could all play 1:1 scale trains with Grandpa Tom for the next 12 years. The kids helped him in quite a profitable hobby business in collecting scrap metal transported to  Sheffield in his little white van .

Now Buxton Box Nos.:

Tom always worked Buxton no. 2, the big one near the Midland station (which was still open when I first met Tom and we travelled fro St Pancras "home' for the weekends).

My confusion started when I found the LNW boxes labelled the other way round in picture captions and didn't trust my own memory.

Since then I have looked at the two books I have: Vol 2 of 'The Buxton Extension, Whaley Bridge to Buxton LNWR' and 'Buxton to Ashbourne", both by JM Bentley and GK Fox. They each have very clear detailed maps (but not individual signal placings).

As to the plaques: they only came to light when i helped the two sisters clear mother and stepfather's Norfolk retirement bungalow. I assumed they must be from No. 2 box as the Midland Home would not be visible from No 1, whereas it would be visible from the NW corner of No 2 . The Cromfords would be the same from either box. 

Perhaps they are a mix of both boxes. "Owd Tom" was a wily character - never without a screwdriver on his person.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Northroader said:

You’re right, mixing my Poohs with my Paddingtons. “This train is going to London, Pooh Corner” mmm??

Not as much an embarrassing mistake, as thinking that the statue (The arrival) depicted the characters from the film the railway children, and concluding that the sculptor had not rendered a very good likeness of a young Jennifer Agutter :blush: .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, rocor said:

Not as much an embarrassing mistake, as thinking that the statue (The arrival) depicted the characters from the film the railway children, and concluding that the sculptor had not rendered a very good likeness of a young Jennifer Agutter :blush: .

We need a facepalm button.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Annie said:

We need a facepalm button.

We dont seem to have a suitable emoji either

This would have done without the black cat.:superstition:

Just have to make do with Doh!

Don

8 hours ago, Donw said:

We dont seem to have a suitable emoji either

This would have done without the black cat.:superstition:

Just have to make do with Doh!

Don

Having several minutes of my life which I will irretrievable lose, I had a hunt through for some form of emoji dialogue. This might surfice.

:huh: followed by :rolleyes: concluding with :fool_mini2:

However the latter might seem harsh because that was my first reaction when I saw the statue, so one must make allowances I suppose :whistle:  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Tenuous grasp of reality.

"tenuous" may, in this case, err on the side of generosity.

835129903_OperationWarpSpeed.jpg.2adfc6bdb606f059f5ae09d102b61307.jpg

Mind you, ignorance is relative, as Einstein might have it. In the US, at least, the existence of warp drive has been put as a question. By NASA.

Anyway, I think I can give you some specifics of the warp speeds actually achieved on the real USS Enterprise starships.

"Engage .....!"

440100296_WarpSpeedChart.jpg.4633fe87b64590b4079c6ec0702a2f84.jpg

I believe that USS Voyager managed Warp 9.9, under the command of Captain Janeway. 

Still, this is probably a little more detail than the 3-word with simple pictures Presidential Briefing requirements permit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

So, saw this on the Bay of Fleas, but was only momentarily excited.

It is an object of beauty and craftsmanship, and someone will love it, but for me there are too many issues.

Any takers?

939370430_GWRNo.179Magnet.jpg.091a21cd865be1e68f67f0a4cebb6241.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

It is an object of beauty and craftsmanship, and someone will love it, but for me there are too many issues.

Any takers?

Nice, - I like Atlantics.  It has the look of an older scratchbuild, - am I right?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Any takers?

That is gorgeous, but too Western for my liking sadly.

• Funny 1