2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I'm sure this is something of a reprise of a story that has been discussed here before, but in a Norolkian thread it surely needs to be marked by a bowing of heads https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-52772491

Sad to see that passing.  Not least because here was a grocery-sector business that always understood the apostrophe.

On lifting/swinging canal bridges: there are a few on the Bord na Mona peat railways in Ireland, and they are normally left open for boats. I've never yet managed to see a train cross one, despite several attempts to be in the right place at the right time, so I don't know quite what the procedure is - they are all power operated, so I guess there is a control point on the "far" side.

Must look that up.

Ah ...

liftbridge1.jpg.2a0bfe56a72fbdf8f5929f38435820d6.jpg

lb4.jpg.3a952938dd841ce83f9ae7a8a5852041.jpg

Random thing observed during a walk, which I'm sure will interest PC members: immensely long wall around landed estate, with supporting pillars about every ten yards. What i'd never spotted before is that every second pillar is a cast-iron dummy! I've see pressed-iron fake brickwork applied over timber buildings, this being quite a common Georgian conceit in Sussex, but never this.

3DC31863-78D4-4CB9-82CF-B0654CA27ACB.jpeg

How splendidly, incomprehensibly bizarre.

Wow. 

• Like 7

Now you’ve got me pining for the bogs.

This was the best lifting bridge, but it went out of use c20 years ago. What this photo doesn’t convey is how picturesque the site is, in that there is a rather nice curvy hump-backed brick bridge over the canal behind and to the right of the photographer (and there was a huge power station just out of shot too, but I quite like that sort of thing).

Allenwood (near). Bord na Mona railcar C68 at canal bridge. 29.7.91

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Teapot?

image.png.c53b6f7b0d3e235b4046c97052a05cd8.png

Meashamware "Love at Home". There's one in the family somewhere - it was the cause of some embarrassment as they're also known as "bargeeware"; there was reluctance to admit that there might be any bargees in the family, though, I suppose, likely enough in Birmingham - more miles of canal than Venice. Tradition holds that the following an exchange took place between my

With permission of parishioners a point of information

It isn't barge ware, they were used on narrow boats rather than barges.  And you wouldn't have found a bargee in Brum, the canals were too narrow for barges.

Adrian

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

It is a given that duckunders are very undesirable especially as we age, but sometimes a compromise is required.  My train room is 12' x 20'' with a window at one end and two entry ways at the other for access and the A/C unit etc.  A U shaped aisle gives access to the window and the central area which contains most buildings and yards, etc., while both main lines are around the wall on a shelf about 15" wide.

Fortunately, there are few occasions where I have to duck under to reach a derailment or whatever so it works for me.

Brian.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Now you’ve got me pining for the bogs.

This was the best lifting bridge, but it went out of use c20 years ago. What this photo doesn’t convey is how picturesque the site is, in that there is a rather nice curvy hump-backed brick bridge over the canal behind and to the right of the photographer (and there was a huge power station just out of shot too, but I quite like that sort of thing).

Allenwood (near). Bord na Mona railcar C68 at canal bridge. 29.7.91

Wonderful!  At first glance I wondered why there was a rather dull caravan parked on the far bank, then I realised....  Duh!  Its actually a rather elegant solution for crossing a light railway over a navigable waterway,

10 hours ago, figworthy said:

It isn't barge ware, they were used on narrow boats rather than barges.  And you wouldn't have found a bargee in Brum, the canals were too narrow for barges.

Sadly, there is a tendancy for people to call a "traditional" inland waterways boat a barge, be it fat or thin!  When Measham teapots came to the attention of the non-canal public, they were described as "Bargeware" and the name stuck.  Horrible ugly brown objects, they're on a par with those china mantlepiece dogs!!!

As usual CA has spun on at a dizzying pace since "I had a dream"  - could the lift out bit be Barnstaple bridge?

I remember how - several thousand pages back - you fessed up to ambitions for modelling multiple locations especially Barnstaple.

Last night, driven on happily by Harry S Beethoven's Ninth on R3, I visualised 2 versions:

• plain: a solid curved hunk of timber locking down precisely into place - dressed up in the bridge's plated girders ... and
  • fancy with suspended 3D bit of jewellery hung on below. It could portray the river Taw piers and stays with the tide well out as usual (plus a boat or two - one of those sand barges I remember from hols in the 1940s.)  It might tinkle a bit in the draught when the door is inadvertently opened to offer a pleasant warning

1384005753_Barnstaplebridge.jpg.f6fa90ee990b4739dfc5dacbd4f640c7.jpgI don't remember T9s there, they seemed to be mostly Bulleid's hated elderly tanks on the SR. The GW slow slow line across to Taunton had the tender locos.

Edited by runs as required
Bulleid gets a raw deal always with Apile predictive texting
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, figworthy said:

With permission of parishioners a point of information

Adrian

Adrian, while I am sure you are technically correct, that was the language in use in the family in respect of the teapot. My grandmother's family lived in Nechells; she was born in 1899, the youngest of thirteen. Even more hushed-up than the bargee connection was the suggestion that there might be some Irish ancestry in the family. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, runs as required said:

As usual CA has spun on at a dizzying pace since "I had a dream"  - could the lift out bit be Barnstaple bridge?

I remember how - several thousand pages back - you fessed up to ambitions for modelling multiple locations especially Barnstaple.

Last night, driven on happily by Harry S Beethoven's Ninth on R3, I visualised 2 versions:

• plain: a solid curved hunk of timber locking down precisely into place - dressed up in the bridge's plated girders ... and
  • fancy with suspended 3D bit of jewellery hung on below. It could portray the river Taw piers and stays with the tide well out as usual (plus a boat or two - one of those sand barges I remember from hols in the 1940s.)  It might tinkle a bit in the draught when the door is inadvertently opened to offer a pleasant warning

1384005753_Barnstaplebridge.jpg.f6fa90ee990b4739dfc5dacbd4f640c7.jpgI don't remember T9s there, they seemed to be mostly Bulleid's hated elderly tanks on the SR. The GW slow slow line across to Taunton had the tender locos.

This is a great idea. It looks compelling.

There is a natural, perhaps irresistible, urge to span a gap like this with a bridge.

I really, really, really wanted to cross the window with a bridge.  In fact, I had a very good idea of the bridge I wanted, masonry pillars and lattice girders.  I had to wean myself off the idea in stages.  It represented a lot of extra work and meant using an unnecessarily deep board across the window, where I would least want it.

And that is the rub here. it could look excellent.  It could be a great metaphor, as the "river" flows out of the door into the unknown, just like the internet, carrying my insane ramblings off to an unwitting world.

However, for practical purposes, I suspect that the shallower the lifting section is, the easier I have made my life. 

Having a further thought the girder-only approach would be a very neat way to edge a shallow, narrow board, as has been advocated by Regularity (IIRC).  Should I choose to make the 009 track a circuit, that would complicate matters. 

In my period of interest, Ilfracombe lacked a long enough table to turn a T9; a Jubilee or a steamroller is about your limit... Nice picture, though, and it's a generic test track, so I can run what I like!

Summat like this:

77684353_DSCN5694-Copy.JPG.c961d75442062b1aa53d2bd463061401.JPG

Edited by Edwardian
Picture
  • Like 12

40 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

And that is the rub here. it could look excellent.  It could be a great metaphor, as the "river" flows out of the door into the unknown, just like the internet, carrying my insane ramblings off to an unwitting world.

Insane ramblings, unwitting world? - Naaah just get a Twitter account, it's free and it comes recommended by a bloke in Washington whose name escapes me at the moment ............

• Funny 3

32 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Insane ramblings, unwitting world? - Naaah just get a Twitter account, it's free and it comes recommended by a bloke in Washington whose name escapes me at the moment ............

It probably escapes him at times.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Thanks for the reply James, metaphors are powerful weapons when wielded by  lawyers.

I feel that too often that we are too literally driven by "realism" in modelling. The silver Swan in Barney's museum isn't "realism", that is why it is so extraordinary.

I've always enjoyed earlier C18 & C19 modelling that got incorporated into fine bits of cabinet making.

Isaac Jackson's table top model to demonstrate the viability of the Wylam Billies to Lady Bewicke at Close House was a cross between between a brass clock and an elegant coffee pot.

You could span the line across the window out of angle iron (that has the appearance of lightness, compared to expensive perspex or clear polycarbonate)) and clad it with stick-on mirror mosaic -

precedent the US 'Seebord Airline'?

On Barnstaple bridge, I did try the gate idea suggested, but rejected it as it seemed too dominant.  

I imagined the hanging tinkly jewellery model of the piers, sand and boats could be a trinket hung on the underside for 'Sunday best' occasions.  

precedent: Gaudi's hanging bead models of Sagrada Familia.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

This is a great idea. It looks compelling.

There is a natural, perhaps irresistible, urge to span a gap like this with a bridge.

I really, really, really wanted to cross the window with a bridge.  In fact, I had a very good idea of the bridge I wanted, masonry pillars and lattice girders.  I had to wean myself off the idea in stages.  It represented a lot of extra work and meant using an unnecessarily deep board across the window, where I would least want it.

However, for practical purposes, I suspect that the shallower the lifting section is, the easier I have made my life. 

Having a further thought the girder-only approach would be a very neat way to edge a shallow, narrow board, as has been advocated by Regularity (IIRC).  Should I choose to make the 009 track a circuit, that would complicate matters. 

In my period of interest, Ilfracombe lacked a long enough table to turn a T9; a Jubilee or a steamroller is about your limit... Nice picture, though, and it's a generic test track, so I can run what I like!

Summat like this:

77684353_DSCN5694-Copy.JPG.c961d75442062b1aa53d2bd463061401.JPG

Worth checking this film from 22:06

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Light railway bridges over canals:

TheBord na Mona “four poster bed” one was nearly identical with wooden ones built in France during WW1, so I wonder if it was copied from those.

Another WW1 version is this one, built by US troops but I suspect to a local French design. Someone built a really good working model of this in 7mm scale a few years back.

i have more, but you probably don’t want to see them!

26AF1DC0-3111-4640-A84C-455D37A10145.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Kevin drawing is what I was talking about. I did think about making it a bridge but Kevin on his own thread pointed out the problems a loco plunging o the floor can cause. Bearing in mind this will be a test track any bridge would need something either side strong enough to hold the stock and loco.

Anyway I have now designed and built in my head just what I would do in such space. Quite useful really although in my case where a bit of the room was nicked for an en suite for the adjoining bedroom, the door now opens in a small corner and does not interfere at all with any continuous run. It will be necessary to resist running storage sidings into that area as I would then box myself in.

My choice of bridge might be this 

If you want something LSWR this nicely modelled one of Callington in 0 gauge looks sturdy enough to hold any stock. Model by Angus unfortunately the surname escapes me

post-8525-0-59160300-1413240085_thumb.jpgpost-8525-0-16231000-1427562546_thumb.jpg

Whoops captions wrong way round as the system put them in the wrong order I am sure everyone knows which is which

Don

PS

The WRRC have just sent me a very nice special issue of the archive celebrating 150 years of the ex LNWR Central wales line. Corneliuslundie on here should know all about it as I think he is on the Publications Working Group. Anyone with an interest in Welsh Railways should be a member.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2020 at 14:57, Edwardian said:

NORMAN YOKE! NORMAN YOKE!

17 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That's all very well but where's the punch line?

He didn’t want to get egg on his face.

• Funny 2

8 hours ago, Donw said:

Kevin drawing is what I was talking about. I did think about making it a bridge but Kevin on his own thread pointed out the problems a loco plunging o the floor can cause. Bearing in mind this will be a test track any bridge would need something either side strong enough to hold the stock and loco.

Anyway I have now designed and built in my head just what I would do in such space. Quite useful really although in my case where a bit of the room was nicked for an en suite for the adjoining bedroom, the door now opens in a small corner and does not interfere at all with any continuous run. It will be necessary to resist running storage sidings into that area as I would then box myself in.

My choice of bridge might be this 

If you want something LSWR this nicely modelled one of Callington in 0 gauge looks sturdy enough to hold any stock. Model by Angus unfortunately the surname escapes me

post-8525-0-59160300-1413240085_thumb.jpg

I completely agree about the train protection afforded by the upstanding trussed girders.

The tubular piers and braces are the problem, dangling in mid air from rail level at the obvious support points of each girder. Would you simply model them ‘realistically’ as compression structures, when visually, the eye reads them truthfully in ‘reality’ as in tension?

That is what I pondered when remembering the apparent sharp curve of the Taw bridge - its plate girders emphasise their support points less emphatically than do the cross bracing of the trusses.
But the Taw bridge would lose its dramatic spectacle were its plate girders to be modelled as upstanding.  Actually on the outer upstream side of the curve there is a handrail. That, modelled on both sides would initially restrain a train from toppling, though may not be robust enough at 00 scale to survive constant handling.

The canal lifting bridge structures suggested would only span a boat’s width and would still require removable approach viaducts/embankments.

55 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Nice to see that our host's home turf is being promoted as a sort of Edwardian Spa, affording relief from this deadly plague.

Alan

Indeed, I feel somewhat snubbed that my own residence is apparently one of the few addresses in Durham that the notorious, infectious hypocrite has not visited in recent weeks.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Buhar said:

Nice to see that our host's home turf is being promoted as a sort of Edwardian Spa, affording relief from this deadly plague.

Alan

We were in 'Finbarrs', our favourite Durham City eatery for lunch (up by the Police HQ in Akenheads) on the Friday before Lockdown was declared by Westminster the following Monday.

We discussed prospects with the proprietor while paying the bill. He was certain that a UK Lockdown was imminent, despite there being no cases yet listed in the County. We fessed up to one in Gateshead, and he added there was also one in Sunderland. 

In direct contrast, last week's National media reported the North East as being the worst in the UK for recorded Covid-19 cases, with Gateshead and Hartlepool the very worst for deaths.

Just one week later, Westminster is pressing Local Authorities to re-open schools in the region on 1 June!

Now we learn how the key Government Adviser was active himself in spreading the virus up from Westminster into Durham "at least once".

Ministers have gone into great detail: rather than let the train 'take the strain', he drove up.  Moreover we are assured that luckily he and family have strong bladders so they did not need to stop to spread the virus at any Motorway services during the 4 hour  drive.

What a Relief !

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, No.10 says the BC story is "inaccurate", which is an interesting word to choose, because it suggests that it is broadly true, but wrong in some minor particulars. 

The use of the word ‘inaccurate’ is interesting coming from a government that wouldn’t know the truth if it bit them. Which it very well might.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, runs as required said:

I completely agree about the train protection afforded by the upstanding trussed girders.

The tubular piers and braces are the problem, dangling in mid air from rail level at the obvious support points of each girder. Would you simply model them ‘realistically’ as compression structures, when visually, the eye reads them truthfully in ‘reality’ as in tension?

That is what I pondered when remembering the apparent sharp curve of the Taw bridge - its plate girders emphasise their support points less emphatically than do the cross bracing of the trusses.
But the Taw bridge would lose its dramatic spectacle were its plate girders to be modelled as upstanding.  Actually on the outer upstream side of the curve there is a handrail. That, modelled on both sides would initially restrain a train from toppling, though may not be robust enough at 00 scale to survive constant handling.

The canal lifting bridge structures suggested would only span a boat’s width and would still require removable approach viaducts/embankments.

Wasn't Sodor connected to the mainland's "other railway" via a rolling bascule bridge?

dsc_0009.jpg.31786f07d3a85a884b9f0f8b0dfe1ce1.jpg

As to our current plight, Boris was always seen as a rather feckless dilettante as Mayor of London and, of course was an absolutely dire Foreign Secretary.  He might believe that he's having some profound Churchill moment in this crisis; I still think he's a berk. As London Mayor, he seems to have had competent people to do all the difficult stuff for him.  I suggest that the BREXIT (remember that?) purge indulged in by Boris got rid of all the grown-ups in the parliamentary party.  The baleful influence of that know-it-all Cummings is no substitute for the experienced and sensible politicians Johnson kicked off the squad.  I think this light-weight, self-aggrandising buffoon was very much leading the second eleven out to bat when Covid stopped play.

Having said that, it does not seem to me that SAGE has distinguished itself (even though they surely can't all be off bedding other people's wives), or that the Administrative Civil Service has proved capable of crossing its departmental boundaries in the way required to co-ordinate rapid and effective action.

We've ended up with one of the highest death rates in the world and a wrecked economy. Now, in what seems transparently to be a political decision, they want to re-open the schools. 

I hope I live long enough to to see the back of this pack of knaves. 

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1