Yes, apparently, there are milk kefir, water kefir, and something called Kampucha (sp?), which are all started using slightly different yeast/bacteria combinations, and brewed with different sugars ....... so SiL tells me. All "probiotics".

And, having googled, my instinct was right: ginger beer made from a proper "plant" falls into the same grouping.

K

• RMweb Premium

Vets certainly recommend giving animals yoghurt* to animals when they have upset stomachs.

Andy G

* when did we loose the 'h' in yoghurts? I was appalled at this spelling mistake when I went to Tescos the other day... I'll have to take a black marker with me next time....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling that there may be several different spellings of yogurt/yoghurt/yoghourt - kos in Albanian so that is no help, emanating from different countries, but I note that my English/Albanian dictionary has the first of the spellings above.

Wikipedia says, after listing all three spellings:

"The word is derived from Turkishyoğurt,[4] and is usually related to the verb yoğurmak, "to knead", or "to be curdled or coagulated; to thicken".[5] It may be related to yoğun, meaning thick or dense. The sound ğ was traditionally rendered as "gh" in transliterations of Turkish prior to 1928.[6] In older Turkish, the letter denoted a voiced velar fricative /ɣ/, but this sound is elided between back vowels in modern Turkish, in which the word is pronounced [joˈuɾt], or [joˈɰuɾt].

In English, there are several variations of the spelling of the word, including yogurtyoghurt and to a lesser extent yoghourtyogourtyaghourtyahourthyoghurdjoghourt, and jogourt.[7][8][9]"

So I suppose since it is from a language with a different alphabet there is no one correct transliteration.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You seem to be having a bit of bad luck stomach-wise; hope it ceases soon.

In case you should want even worse luck, the picture below shows the strange brew that my sister in law tends to pour into anyone who shows signs of stomach trouble. It is called water kefir, and, to me anyway, it seems to be not far different from home-brewed ginger beer, with the ginger and lemons, and all the other good parts omitted ...... it is horrible!

Personally, I would recommend two pints of good, yeasty, homemade beer, to restore the inner man.

I recommend a nip of your favourite whisky, two teaspoonsful of honey and a Lem-Sip (other brands are available) in a coffee mug, topped up with boiling water. It might not make you better but it will make you feel better.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the kind thoughts and suggestions.

If I am free from the stomach cramps by the weekend, I will endeavour to recommence work on the boards.

In the meantime, here are the sort of volunteer figures that a pre-Grouping layout might feature.

The Childers Reforms of 1881 nominated rifle volunteer corps as volunteer battalions of the county infantry regiments, which also consisted of regular and militia battalions within a defined regimental district. As a result, over the next few years many of the rifle volunteer corps adopted the “volunteer battalion” designation and the uniform of their parent regiment. From 1881 to 1902, this meant they wore the red home service infantry tunics, often pictured with the glengarry side cap, though photographic evidence suggests that the transition to khaki service dress took several years to be adopted by all the volunteer battalions. I have seen a print of a Norfolk Volunteer battalion rifleman depicting the uniform in 1906; full home service scarlet tunic and blue trousers, but with a post-Boer War slouch hat!  So, we can have red uniformed rifle volunteers on CA - it really will be like Pippin Fort!

On the other hand, some units maintained their volunteer rifle uniforms. These also now conformed to modern infantry pattern, presenting a sort of grey version of the red home service uniform. This is what I have attempted to reproduce.

The various Middlesex battalions were among those retaining their volunteer rifles appearance, which brings us to these figures, which are based upon the Inns of Court battalion c.1897.

post-25673-0-50946400-1489442818_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

You could of course use your figures as 26th Middlesex (Cyclist) Rifle Volunteers, in the same uniform apart from the glengarry caps, as they didn't get incorporated into the 25th London until 1908.  A fine display of cycles and Volunteers would really enhance your scenes.  Of course you would have to put the Officers on tricycles.  

This came about after the Royal Marine Artillery (Cyclists) found that a good wheeze was to keep cycling past Officers, who of course had to return the OR salutes, and the person who succeeded in 'unseating' the Officer would then receive drinks all round in the pub!  (so the legend goes.........)

post-312-0-66088600-1489496905.jpg

By 1903 they were equipped with the 'modern' safety bicycle, which had a rifle bucket on the offside of the (level) crossbar in brown leather, and they were no longer using the Martini-Henry rifle, but the Lee-Metford

Edited by Adams442T

• RMweb Premium

I recommend a nip of your favourite whisky, two teaspoonsful of honey and a Lem-Sip (other brands are available) in a coffee mug, topped up with boiling water. It might not make you better but it will make you feel better.

:O WHAT!!! I'd never destroy my favourite whisky with other pollutants. :O

I keep a bottle of cheap and nasty own brand blended for the above recipe....

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.  A fine display of cycles and Volunteers would really enhance your scenes.  Of course you would have to put the Officers on tricycles.  

I think this officer had the tricycle bit sorted - from my post above - just in case he was needed somewhere else urgently.

post-14351-0-41087900-1489502066_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

You could of course use your figures as 26th Middlesex (Cyclist) Rifle Volunteers, in the same uniform apart from the glengarry caps, as they didn't get incorporated into the 25th London until 1908.  A fine display of cycles and Volunteers would really enhance your scenes.  Of course you would have to put the Officers on tricycles.  

This came about after the Royal Marine Artillery (Cyclists) found that a good wheeze was to keep cycling past Officers, who of course had to return the OR salutes, and the person who succeeded in 'unseating' the Officer would then receive drinks all round in the pub!  (so the legend goes.........)

attachicon.gif26th Middlesex.jpg

By 1903 they were equipped with the 'modern' safety bicycle, which had a rifle bucket on the offside of the (level) crossbar in brown leather, and they were no longer using the Martini-Henry rifle, but the Lee-Metford

A wonderful picture.

I note the cavalry officer-like leather cross belt worn by the NCO, complete with the gun spikes on chains; still worn with Blues by Yeomanry officers.

I am glad I did the figures of the Inns of Court, as they have acted as a 'proof of concept' for conversions.

Despite being nominally 1/72nd, the HaT Industrie figures are a reasonable match for 1/76 figures in terms of height and heft.  Despite depicting the Zulu War uniform, I think the modifications made have worked; squaring the tunics, and converting the pith helmet to resemble a home service helmet.  It is not a perfect match, but I think it looks broadly OK.  I think the 1871 valise equipment also looks OK. 

It did strike me that they were shouldering Martini Henry rifles, but I reckoned it would take some time before all the volunteers had Lee Metfords.  These represent the 1890s, in any case, hence the pill box caps.

The sun was out today, and before the wind got up, I was able to take some better shots.

As it turns out, I won't need volunteer rifles in grey for CA, because it seems that the Norfolk volunteers were among those who became volunteer battalions of the regular county regiment (from 1881). The red home service uniform is possible for 1905, though I think the glengarry seems to have been worn more often than the spiked home service helmet, which might have passed away by the 1900s. There is a print of a soldier of the 3rd Volunteer Battalion, Norfolk regiment, in a post-Boer war slouch hat, which looks very odd with the red tunic.

So, if and when CA has a Drill Hall, I think red home service infantry uniforms with blue trousers and glengarries.  

An actual example of the Norfolk 4th Volunteer Battalion uniform is below.  I note the print of the 3rd Volunteer Battalion (apparently 1906 - though I have been unable to confirm this - and certainly post-Boer War) shows a Lee Metford; there are no suitable figures that I know of with this rifle, so I will have to see how it might be possible to convert Martinis into magazine rifles! 

post-25673-0-24080500-1489504205_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-43610100-1489504246_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-81278000-1489504510.jpg

post-25673-0-99251800-1489504664_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-83092100-1489504673.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

.  A fine display of cycles and Volunteers would really enhance your scenes.  Of course you would have to put the Officers on tricycles.  

I think this officer had the tricycle bit sorted - from my post above - just in case he was needed somewhere else urgently.

attachicon.gifHants Cyclists, led by Captain Low Kitchener's Army c1915 2000px.jpg

I fear the worst, however.  Notice how all of them, even the officer, have concealed their teeth!

• RMweb Premium

I fear the worst, however.  Notice how all of them, even the officer, have concealed their teeth!

.... and in a typical bit of War Office skimping, they've been issued with gnarled sticks in lieu of rifles with fixed bayonets - shades of early Dad's Army episodes. Or, looking again, they might be fists showing particularly large rude pointing fingers... a gesture of defiance!

I won't even comment on the suggestiveness of the cyclist's weapon.

Sorry, I'm lowering the tone again.

• RMweb Premium

Even battle-hardened bicycle-soldiers went in fear of Die Koenige Radfahren Valkyrie Geschwader.

A rather uneven approach to protective clothing, I fear, but not unusual for fantasy female warriors - but LETS NOT GO THERE, CHAPS. I could do with a cycle helmet like that but though the idea of a 6' implement for fending off reckless drivers appeals, I think it would be a little unwieldy and liable to attract the attention of the police. (Quite apart from anything else that might get their attention.)

• Like 5

Well, I fear this topic will turn into Edwardian's Health Blog if I am not careful, but I am now hors de combat once more with a stomach bug, so please bear with me if I neglect things for a time.

B*gger.

• RMweb Premium

Well, I fear this topic will turn into Edwardian's Health Blog if I am not careful, but I am now hors de combat once more with a stomach bug, so please bear with me if I neglect things for a time.

B*gger.

Get well soon otherwise grief knows where we'll have bimbled off too...

• RMweb Gold

I hope you are well soon.  You said you were ill over last weekend.  It sounds like the bug my colleague had which lasted on and off for a week.  I do not say this to discourage you but you are more than half way so the end is in sight.  All the best.

Bear with you, Edwardian?

The nearest picture I can find is this Edwardian, who seems to have climbed inside his.

Am I the only devotee of this thread who wonders at the scope of NIRS (the Nearholmer image retrieval system) You make out that you have cupboards full of unsorted jumbled railwayana - but never fail to out-gun the rest of the platoon in the posting of eccentricities.

Best wishes to Edwardian

dh

• Like 3

Thank you all.  I will survive!  It's just that you can't get anything done, work or models.  Frustrating.

Anyway, I thought I'd pop by to show what the Postman delivered today, courtesy of our own Phil Sutters, for which grateful thanks.  As you can see, it has already been occupied by Volunteer Rifles, I will have to shoo them off and post them to Germany as promised.

Proper cheered me up, so thanks, Phil.

post-25673-0-96619900-1489604487_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all.  I will survive!  It's just that you can't get anything done, work or models.  Frustrating.

Anyway, I thought I'd pop by to show what the Postman delivered today, courtesy of our own Phil Sutters, for which grateful thanks.  As you can see, it has already been occupied by Volunteer Rifles, I will have to shoo them off and post them to Germany as promised.

Proper cheered me up, so thanks, Phil.

You very welcome - it didn't fit in with my Highbridge Wharf scenario. While we have a Martello Tower here in Seaford - photos are available, with re-enactors even - they never saw the need in the Bristol Channel.

I don't think the tower would stand much battering from a Britain's match-stick firing field gun. The masonry is exceptionally light-weight foam. Sorry if that is a serious security breach.

• Like 1