21 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I hope I'll be tolerated, posting these here,

Wot 'e said

Had some time to kill in the small hours the past nights. This happened, for my own amusement, hence little time spent fettling or fairing, but thought I may as well share:

WNR.jpg.0f4c556aac40985a8d422824c4f87f63.jpg

Overkill, but lots of scope for a couple of people to play trains and it's easier to take things out of a plan than put them in! The general assumption is that the layout is for trains and running them; if in the mood for some shunting action then one can sign on a shift at the Manufactory! Birchoverham Market and Achingham could perhaps share a modelled Station Road which would cover the otherwise non-scenic section, then there'd be something to look at right the way round.

There's much more going on at CA than with the previous sketch trackplans posted here, but then I remember some concern about there not being space to handle proposed traffic volumes, so...The bay road is seen as Achingham Branch departure platform only, or simply two carriage sidings; end loading and cattle pens on the dock beyond the TT, because reasons. Makes for some good views though :)CA.jpg.d289d1216eca7e441e306cc34a5868f5.jpg

Plenty of loading dock room for the Egg Co-Op at Achingham! Hollow/white track intended to be hidden, somehow, from normal viewing positions - this is the continuous circuit entry/exit.

AM.jpg.054648d106155e7194afc42c8184940f.jpg

If in doubt, lie to the audience. The abandoned shale gas site is just a view block for the dodgey flat crossing behind - could be anything! - and the station is only really sketched in to squueze the junction into the corner, really, but it could work. Access would need a think, mind!

BM.jpg.4e3f6306cac7e1301891600f042be1dc.jpg

And the Peckett Playground:

RSLBF.jpg.d5d5e269b57283b8fb5b760e3f5f2a21.jpg

Very much a kitchen sink approach, but even then I've not worked out a way to fit in the Mineral Railway in...so there's a circuit instead, allowing mineral trains can trundle through the countryside, at least :)

Kept me amused for a spell, anyway!

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Edwardian is welcome to adjust shed width as required...!

With a bit of care it should be possible to open the aisles up significantly - the sides don't need to be anything like 2' wide, nor the island so resolutely indifferent to the angle of the lines running into it. If it"s another sleepless night I'll have a go. Good of you to take it that seriously!

Edited by Schooner
Punctuating the funny
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Schooner said:

Wot 'e said

Had some time to kill in the small hours the past nights. This happened, for my own amusement, hence little time spent fettling or fairing, but thought I may as well share:

WNR.jpg.0f4c556aac40985a8d422824c4f87f63.jpg

Overkill, but lots of scope for a couple of people to play trains and it's easier to take things out of a plan than put them in! The general assumption is that the layout is for trains and running them; if in the mood for some shunting action then one can sign on a shift at the Manufactory! Birchoverham Market and Achingham could perhaps share a modelled Station Road which would cover the otherwise non-scenic section, then there'd be something to look at right the way round.

There's much more going on at CA than with the previous sketch trackplans posted here, but then I remember some concern about there not being space to handle proposed traffic volumes, so...The bay road is seen as Achingham Branch departure platform only, or simply two carriage sidings; end loading and cattle pens on the dock beyond the TT, because reasons. Makes for some good views though :)CA.jpg.d289d1216eca7e441e306cc34a5868f5.jpg

Plenty of loading dock room for the Egg Co-Op at Achingham! Hollow/white track intended to be hidden, somehow, from normal viewing positions - this is the continuous circuit entry/exit.

AM.jpg.054648d106155e7194afc42c8184940f.jpg

If in doubt, lie to the audience. The abandoned shale gas site is just a view block for the dodgey flat crossing behind - could be anything! - and the station is only really sketched in to squueze the junction into the corner, really, but it could work. Access would need a think, mind!

BM.jpg.4e3f6306cac7e1301891600f042be1dc.jpg

And the Peckett Playground:

RSLBF.jpg.d5d5e269b57283b8fb5b760e3f5f2a21.jpg

Very much a kitchen sink approach, but even then I've not worked out a way to fit in the Mineral Railway in...so there's a circuit instead, allowing mineral trains can trundle through the countryside, at least :)

Kept me amused for a spell, anyway!

Wow!

It is great for me that you have turned your gaze to CA, as layout planning has been one of your fortes (as opposed to building castles in the air, which is mine).

There is much evidence here that you have steeped yourself in West Norfolk lore, capturing key features and industries.

The result is very persuasive.

A detailed response is required!

(1) General constraints of the site!

The maximum width the site can accommodate is 12',  The shed has been ordered and, so, cannot be changed. The shed configuration reflects the present layout configuration, therefore, the door is on the long wall, 8'6" from the left-hand end and is 3' long.  This means that the door will burst through Achingham just to the right of the TT!

(2)  Castle Aching

As it exists, the boards will need some rebuilding.  The turnouts need rebuilding and the I hit a snag when moving house.  Although the main board with all the station track-work will fit whole into the back of a Landrover Discovery, it will not fit in through the rear passenger doors when the boot catch decides to break! Apparently a common fault, which is the description that is given to everything that goes wrong on that vehicle from the suspension compressor failing to the drive shaft breaking. The best thing to happen to the British car industry was its demise. 

Be that as it may, I had hurriedly to saw the board in two!  When I put it back together, I have the chance to ease out the length and width by an inch or two and re-configure the track.

However:

(a) Overall dimensions are likely to be a length of around 10'6" for CA, so I can fit it against the end wall (and the door position reflects this).

(b) The scenic work including the perspective modelling of the village so far depends upon that configuration.

(c) To ease capacity issues, I am considering:

- A headshunt to the yard, so this can be shunted independently of the station;

- A headshunt off the loop that could create extra capacity for coaching stock; or,

- Both.

Otherwise, the original arrangement is to be preserved.

Suggestions on this aspect in particular are most welcome.

Incidentally, it was not my intention to have rail-served industry at CA. So often an industry on a model railway is a pretext for a private siding. In reality, there were many industries near railways that still had incoming and outgoing loads carted to and from the rail-head. I assumed the brewery and agricultural engineers at CA would conform to this.

I love that you have included the biscuit factory, however, which would be rail served.

(3) Achingham

Here I have more flexibility, as work has not started. The maltings are rail-served (though the kick-back siding should be extended to serve the gas works) and I really like the plan.

The orientation is as I had imagined, just not next to the wall as the door is there. 

(4) Birchoverham Market faithfully reflects the divergence of the line on the building of the line through to Birchoverham-Next-the Sea.  However, it was always a through station, as the original route went on to the coast at Birchoverham Statithe, though most passenger traffic would have originally terminated at Market.

Overall it's a very sensible arrangement, quite possibly the optimal arrangement for the 3 stations. It cannot, I think, be reproduced as CA is not amenable to this lengthways peninsular position. Where that leaves me, I'm not sure, but there are some great elements to this I nevertheless would want to adopt if I could and this is great food for thought.  

I am very open to layout planning suggestions, and grateful for this one.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Schooner said:

image.png.18e518769a52661d57b82b1c677041a4.png

A nice layout with lots of operating potential, but if the grid is foot squares, then I for one would not be lithe* enough** to fit comfortably, and I would fear for Castle Aching village at the end of the penninsula. Where space to manoeuver is concerned, Edwardian may be more lucky than I in this respect...

Proposed operating access is often problematic with layouts, some of CJ Freezers "cram it into a boxroom" offerings have operating wells that seem more appropriate to his semi-starved post-war readers than a modern modeller! 

* Didn't spot Compounds slim post re the grid!

** It may be an incentive to go on a diet, but that would take more time than building a layout!

Edited by Hroth
forgot something...
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

To cross-thread, do we have a new place name, in Aching Cobble, or Aching Coble?

C10C7313-7A9D-4D26-8F44-8E64B7680699.jpeg.1f85736f9186d4d09e9f43b46524a9a1.jpeg

Sounds rather sore!

Aching Coble: A failed Platinum Jubilee Rhubarb and Prune pudding.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

On 14/05/2022 at 14:45, alastairq said:

Aching Coble?

Reference to a local boatbuilding industry.

Landlocked due to excessive silting?

''Nice boat!         How're you going to get it outside???''

Roll it on surplus (empty) oxygen* cylinders???

NO do not try this at any time, let alone at home.  At the time we didn't know better and if they had heard about it, the Elves would be whimpering in a bunker, urging us in the name of sanity not to do it....

* From an oxy-actylene cutting set.  At least we weren't insane enough to use the maroon cylinders...

Edited by Hroth
HOW many letters do you need to spell "acetylene"? No, thought so...
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

A detailed response is required!

More so than deserved - thank you, all most helpful!

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

there is much evidence here that you have steeped yourself in West Norfolk lore, capturing key features and industries.

To some extent, but largely from memory I'm afraid - hence lack of Achingham gas works etc. Any coherence with the 'real' West Norfolk, or previously posted track plans, are more testament to the quality of world building than any particular skill (or, I confess) effort on my part!

On which, if doing this in earnest rather than as a fun exercise for myself, then most useful would be:

• Shed dimensions, physical attributes (doors and windows mostly, I assume full standing height through etc), and other demands on the space.     
    • Done, I think and the info (which I've chosen to ignore thus far :) is available.
  • Pre-existing/pre-chosen station layouts      
    • Sort of done. It would be great if these could be posted again.
    • In addition, a list of 'inspiration stations' would be handy. Eg Castle Aching from Alston; Achingham from Aldeburgh. For Birchoverham Market, we were looking at the likes of Broom and Merstone I think...?
  • WNR timtabling and stock rosters (including typical formations of mainline, branch and goods services)
    • Also done, although again lost to the RMWeb's recent visit to the Fu-Bar. This is a dead handy tool, and I found myself thinking of it often (if not able to refer to it) whilst SCARMing.

So most of the essentials are covered, which is great! 

The thing I found myself wondering most often was 'how does Edwardian play trains?'. The world of the WNR is wonderfully fleshed out, but less so is how you want to interact with it - how many shunting moves, of what intricacy, how often; what importance of a continuous run; which couplings and methods of traffic generation; how much on-scene storage; what role for The Hand of God? Any successful design would have to hit these marks consistently across all modelled locations.

6 hours ago, Edwardian said:

However, it was always a through station

Indeed:

Thru.jpg.d712af8df45f72249ec1248ccb523042.jpg

...just 'hidden' by the linear train shed and hollow station building :)

Anyway, I enjoyed myself putting it together and I'm glad it was of some interest. I'll be returning to schemes for CA, for sure :)

That said, with news Penguin are recording all the Discworld novels as a unified set of audiobooks, thoughts are inevitably turning Ankhward...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

More so than deserved - thank you, all most helpful!

To some extent, but largely from memory I'm afraid - hence lack of Achingham gas works etc. Any coherence with the 'real' West Norfolk, or previously posted track plans, are more testament to the quality of world building than any particular skill (or, I confess) effort on my part!

On which, if doing this in earnest rather than as a fun exercise for myself, then most useful would be:

• Shed dimensions, physical attributes (doors and windows mostly, I assume full standing height through etc), and other demands on the space.     
    • Done, I think and the info (which I've chosen to ignore thus far :) is available.
    • In addition, a list of 'inspiration stations' would be handy. Eg Castle Aching from Alston; Achingham from Aldeburgh. For Birchoverham Market, we were looking at the likes of Broom and Merstone I think...?
  • WNR timtabling and stock rosters (including typical formations of mainline, branch and goods services)
    • Also done, although again lost to the RMWeb's recent visit to the Fu-Bar. This is a dead handy tool, and I found myself thinking of it often (if not able to refer to it) whilst SCARMing.

The thing I found myself wondering most often was 'how does Edwardian play trains?'. The world of the WNR is wonderfully fleshed out, but less so is how you want to interact with it - how many shunting moves, of what intricacy, how often; what importance of a continuous run; which couplings and methods of traffic generation; how much on-scene storage; what role for The Hand of God? Any successful design would have to hit these marks consistently across all modelled locations.

Indeed:

Thru.jpg.d712af8df45f72249ec1248ccb523042.jpg

...just 'hidden' by the linear train shed and hollow station building :)

Anyway, I enjoyed myself putting it together and I'm glad it was of some interest. I'll be returning to schemes for CA, for sure :)

That said, with news Penguin are recording all the Discworld novels as a unified set of audiobooks, thoughts are inevitably turning Ankhward...

That is all very sensible, not to say inspiring, so thank you again.

I'm at my parents' place this weekend, but when back at Edwardian Towers, I should be able to pull together the sort information you have mentioned. 

This is a very fruitful exercise from my point of view, so as long as you're enjoying it ..... 😀

• Like 5

On 14/05/2022 at 17:02, Schooner said:

Yes, but a few more details and corrections.

The order is for:

Internal dimensions 25' x 12'

Height (pent) IIRC 6'-6'6"

Door is to open outward. The width is 3'3".  It is to be offset 5'8" from the end. The idea here was that the CA boards would go against the end wall. These are overall 4' deep in the main, but the station swings out further, hence 5'8".   

Castle Aching

2143287376_985853526_BlankPage001-Copy.jpg.ce6ee4cf087eaabcb18591d9d1ed4a30-Copy(2).jpg.25d09f02787d852f6a1f6b06a8bec0a4.jpg

For CA, see sketch above. Somewhere I have Simon's templot file, which I think I followed exactly, save varying the siding lengths (which were not specified), would that help?

From the far wall up to the stop block beyond the TT the boards currently measure about 10'1".  As I say, I had to cut them up and I'll probably add an inch or two in length between the TT and the turnouts. I can add a some length beyond the current station throat if necessary to help incorporate a head shunt.

I do, however, want room to squeeze around the end to reach the further sidings. 

As you say, inspiration for CA is the Newcastle & Carlisle Rly terminus at Alston, and you will have seen recent posts showing the 1850s architecture based on another Jacobean Revival design, the SER at Wateringbury. Bear that in mind, because Birchoverham Market is of the same style and period, but the layout has been altered. 

Turning to the map:

(1) Intermediate stations Hillingham on the mainline and Doughton Abbey on the Achingham branch are to be ommitted

(2) Aching Constable is represented by a cassette yard. This cassette yard must represent (i) the Bishop's Lynn Tramway and the Wolfringham Branch (represented by the northern fork beyond Aching Constable) and (b) mainlines to Bury St Edmunds, Norwich, and the GER connection at Magdalen Road (represented by the southern fork beyond Aching Constable). 

Note the triangular junction, which might necessitate effectively a loop, with a cassette position in the centre, with the CA-BM line running in front, which is a bit awkward

Note also that I think we came to the view that the line from the northern spur of the junction towards BM would best be doubled to prevent congestion

(3) The M&GN junction would be impossible to fit in as well, so I though a compromise would be to use the northern spur of the AC junction towards BM

1945154600_Routes-Copy-Copy.jpg.75ed66690399215d24a4fbdbd66d588f.jpg.5683e98c9c1df236defbc9190580509a.jpg

(4) Birchoverham Market

- Approaching from the south (from CA), the line may be double track (see above)

- To the north of the station, the line forks into two single track routes.  I plan a bridge over the lines as a scenic break with cassettes beyond.

A little history:

The original station had a single platform face, like CA, and a similar 1850s Jacobean station building. The single track line continued north to Birchoverham Staithe, a viable port in the 1850s, so BM was never a terminus.

In the 1860s, a junction was put on on this line just to the north of the station point to the east, for a new branch to Fakeney

The right-hand fork, therefore, serves these two lines, using the original 1850s platform for the branches' traffic.

The left fork represents the 1870s extension to Birchoverham-Next-the-Sea.  This is now the principal route.

My thought is that the station was redeveloped to accommodate this. A new island platform was created, linked to the original platform via a footbridge, giving two platform faces to serve the traffic to and from BNtS. 

- Thus, the northern end of BM must lead to a second cassette yard 

My thought so far was something like this:

North

2080538189_985853526_BlankPage001-Copy.jpg.ce6ee4cf087eaabcb18591d9d1ed4a30-Copy.jpg.68fd1e38b51ac9df05a5b721ef54c81d.jpg

South

The direction of any curve depends upon how it fits into the scheme

(5) Achingham

As you say, this is inspired by the GER at Aldborough, as it is, likewise, an 1860s branch, so the architecture, a rather more austere classicism, fits. 

I had assumed the WN practice of terminating the loop with a TT would be maintained.

The maltings, a large, long, building, and the gasworks form a natural backdrop. 

This is how I was thinking .....

109346257_985853526_BlankPage001-Copy.jpg.ce6ee4cf087eaabcb18591d9d1ed4a30-Copy-Copy-Copy.jpg.f57fd22adf03cbf8d7c3fb798d5d645d.jpg

Just in case.

Though Nearholmer only intended this as an example, and it is not to be regarded as final, it does capture the essence of the timetable and shows the principal train diagrams.

I cannot follow it without colouring it in!

1963717248_TimetableDiagramV2-ColouredV2.jpeg.1749b76911dba54b55515eb38f557b47.jpeg

That is an interesting question.

As I don't have a working layout, I don't get to play trains.  I suspect, however:

(i) I want a timetable and the option of running it, however, the timetable is more something that establishes what traffic I can/should run. Whether I shall run a few trains in timetable order each running session, or just run whatever trains I feel like, remains to be seen!

(ii) I like to see a train running through the scene.  That is the main attraction. A reasonable scenic run is something I'd appreciate.

(ii) I do not think I will be a great shunter. Dealing with a daily pick up goods and consequential yard shunting will probably suffice for me.  Currently the plan is to fit 3-links, and to stick to that unless and until it becomes you irritating, however, access to the rear sidings at CA will not be easy, hence wanting to be able to access their ends. 

(iii) In general, I like a continuous run option, but did not expect one for CA and would not make any sacrifices for the sake of one.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

you irritating

Yes, so I've heard.

FWIW, the WNR really is a fantastic thing - big smile contemplating it again - so thanks for all that. Good to have the info in one place. It'll still be for my own amusement, but why be wrong?! At least it should improve the utility of any results. Don't hold your breath mind... :)

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Yes, so I've heard.

Meant "too" of course, though that was a particularly odd result of mu typing on keys off which the letter symbols are worn!

3 minutes ago, Schooner said:

FWIW, the WNR really is a fantastic thing - big smile contemplating it again - so thanks for all that. Good to have the info in one place. It'll still be for my own amusement, but why be wrong?! At least it should improve the utility of any results. Don't hold your breath mind... :)

Well, I've not got very far.  So far I have been contemplating plans with CA at one end and then Achingham and Birchoverham Market arranged lengthwise but have not been satisfied with the results.

So I reckon it will be worth seeing what you come up with.

Oh, and BTW the minimum radius is reckoned as 3', with both appearance and the running of 6-wheelers in mind.  If necessary, I reckon curves on the Achingham branch could be a little tighter. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Oh, and BTW the minimum radius is reckoned as 3', with both appearance and the running of 6-wheelers in mind.  If necessary, I reckon curves on the Achingham branch could be a little tighter. 

Given that this is 00 and you will be using 3-link couplings, if propelling moves are anticipated, I suggest not too much tighter.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Given that this is 00 and you will be using 3-link couplings, if propelling moves are anticipated, I suggest not too much tighter.

Good advice.

I don't like the look of tight curves and, yes, buffer lock is a concern.

I have a bit of a phobia for tight curves due to seeing too many 'jack-knifing' bogie coaches on 6'x4' magazine layouts in my youth (and I had one and ran an Airfix GW B Set round it!)

With my OO GW 70' coaches. I reckon I'd need a 6' minimum for both running without buffer lock and for the look of the thing.

Having seen 30' odd 6-wheelers on the CA curve, I'm happy that it doesn't look too tight and that 6-wheers should manage the curves and buffers shouldn't lock.

The Achingham branch may get away with slightly less if it only has 4-wheelers, but not by much and for preference I would not limit the type of stock on the branch.

But yes, tightening up is asking for trouble.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

On the other hand, I've not had too many problems with my 3-link wagons being propelled round 2nd radius curves on the dining room table. But yes, the larger radius the better, on all counts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Warning: Some viewers may find this report upsetting (or, possibly, just funny). 

The Thursday before last I managed to pour a pan of boiling water (and a quantity of peas) over my left foot.

You have my sympathy.

I am just coming out of the far end of a similar incident.

I went to watch Brackley v Boston United on Easter Monday on my way to my sister's, in the Cotswolds.

I managed to tip a boiling hot cup of tea onto my foot which blistered etc.

To cut a long story short it is now healed, about three weeks later.

Why is it that the automatic response of Doctor's surgeries is "Go to A&E"?

Thankfully I managed to avoid that particular from of purgatory in this instance.

Ian T

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

It is easy to be wise after the event. As a cub and then scout I learnt first aid  the treatment of burns and scalds has changed totally from those days. Cooling the skin down is now seen as essential and cold water ideal. However for all I know this may soon be discredited.

Dont beat yourself up over this but do follow advice now.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

Why is it that the automatic response of Doctor's surgeries is "Go to A&E"?

I suspect because they work at the Doctor's surgery...

@Edwardian what rotten luck (obligatory Python, 'relevant' sketch starts 5.57). Glad you got turned over to the professionals in the end, found it does save time in the long run!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

So, to sum up, my foot bloody hurts and I can't have a drink

If it is of any assistance, the ban on your liberation consumption may well be an excess of caution.

The origin of that theory, was way back, when antibiotics were a very new and wonderful discovery, which were salvation for thousands of wounded soldiers.  Such was the success of the antibiotics that many of the treated soldiers felt so much better and visited the nearest hostelry, to imbibe according to their previous experience {Let he without guilt throw the first stone...}  The resultant combination of wound weakened body and alcohol intake, was a rather negative contribution to the rates of recovery and considerable contribution of  disciplinary resources!  The solution was to inform those treated with antibiotics that they would not work, should alcohol be consumed.

A few moments with the information leaflet may be more informative that my historical reflections...  but perhaps revealing benefits.   🤭

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jcredfer said:

If it is of any assistance, the ban on your liberation consumption may well be an excess of caution.

The origin of that theory, was way back, when antibiotics were a very new and wonderful discovery, which were salvation for thousands of wounded soldiers.  Such was the success of the antibiotics that many of the treated soldiers felt so much better and visited the nearest hostelry, to imbibe according to their previous experience {Let he without guilt throw the first stone...}  The resultant combination of wound weakened body and alcohol intake, was a rather negative contribution to the rates of recovery and considerable contribution of  disciplinary resources!  The solution was to inform those treated with antibiotics that they would not work, should alcohol be consumed.

A few moments with the information leaflet may be more informative that my historical reflections...  but perhaps revealing benefits.   🤭

On the other hand a friend was put on some antibiotics by the doctor. Felling somewhat better he decided to join us at the Pub. He had had quite a few whiskies when his heart started to race and we had to rush him to hospital. The doctor had assumed he would not go out drinking so hadn't warned him.

Based on that experience I do take warnings not to drink with medication seriously.

Don

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

24 minutes ago, Donw said:

On the other hand a friend was put on some antibiotics by the doctor. Felling somewhat better he decided to join us at the Pub. He had had quite a few whiskies when his heart started to race and we had to rush him to hospital. The doctor had assumed he would not go out drinking so hadn't warned him.

Based on that experience I do take warnings not to drink with medication seriously.

Don

What an unpleasant experience, it could have had a very serious result, it's fortunate that he had good friends around him.  Likewise, as I mentioned, I always spend time looking through the information leaflet, in addition to speaking to the doctor.  They don't do research and write the information for nothing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Edwardian said:

This slows down progress on the house and ultimately on everything else

I can sympathise with you completely.

I moved house at the beginning of December and was progressing with sorting things out at a steady rate.

While not having boiled my foot, I did put my back out at the end of January moving furniture on my own, this lingered and got worse through the Covid incident. After I stopped testing positive for Covid, the back got so bad that I ended up in A&E* who decided that all I needed was Extra Strong Paracetamol and Codeine, and something else, the name I can't remember without looking at the box, which left me like a torpid log for a week, but actually allowed my back to settle down.

The after effects of the Covid made things difficult too, and I  only managed to get back to progressing the house at the beginning of the month....

Wishing you a prompt recovery!

* How long did you have to wait to be seen to at A&E?  Hope they prioritised you, I had to wait 5 hours...

• Friendly/supportive 9