15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I can sympathise with you completely.

I moved house at the beginning of December and was progressing with sorting things out at a steady rate.

While not having boiled my foot, I did put my back out at the end of January moving furniture on my own, this lingered and got worse through the Covid incident. After I stopped testing positive for Covid, the back got so bad that I ended up in A&E* who decided that all I needed was Extra Strong Paracetamol and Codeine, and something else, the name I can't remember without looking at the box, which left me like a torpid log for a week, but actually allowed my back to settle down.

The after effects of the Covid made things difficult too, and I  only managed to get back to progressing the house at the beginning of the month....

Wishing you a prompt recovery!

Thanks.

And Ouch!

A bad back is hard to alleviate and slow to come right, as your experience shows. My sympathies.

15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

* How long did you have to wait to be seen to at A&E?  Hope they prioritised you, I had to wait 5 hours...

I note the time stamps of my last two posts showing a 4-hour window.

Thinking back I had a 6.30pm Zoom meeting which lasted 15 minutes. Miss T wasn't ready to leave so with faffing I think we left about five to seven. Queuing at A&E Reception c.7.30. 

Only managed a few pages of a novel before called through.

This amazed me as the tele-screen said "wait to triage 1 and a half hours. Wait to Doctor 4 hours"

Left A&E. Drove to Sainsb*ggers and did the slow trundle of shame. Waited 5 minutes to see Pharmascist who then declared that her system was down and so she could not make anything up* and to come back tomorrow.  Then she looked at my prescription, said "oh" and then stated that she would write it out by hand.

Slow trundle to the car. Miss T in fits at the sight.

Home by about 10 to 10.

Pretty efficient, plus fewer bar fights in Darlo on Monday nights.

* 'computer says "no"'

• Friendly/supportive 7

My sympathies to you. It's all very well being told 'stoppit, you've got another one'.....

As a singly [phew, at long last]...sustaining even minor injuries can be a logistical nightmare.

For example, trying to prevent all that blood dripping all over the [rented] living room carpet, or themeal one is preparing...or the kitchen floor..

Trying to bandage wounds with one hand.....Especially if the hand that's left isn't functioning properly, owing to a previous wound....?

I haven't been to my nearest A&E for decades..or rather, years.....I think the whole system went to pot when they ceased calling casualty, ''Casualty?''

Somehow, ''Casualty'' invoked images of stretchers and gore......A&E invokes nothing other than a scene depicting all our social ills.

But, we do have a smaller hospital, which is nearer to me, called an 'Urgent treatment Centre'....which is one step up from my, even more local, but now closed [Due to lack of interest? Not, in my view, what a public service should concern itself with?], Minor Injuries Unit.....

Thus, A&E is roughly 25 miles away, UTC is roughly 13 miles away [in either direction]....the MIU was but 5 miles away, in my nearest town.

I reported some time ago [somewhere on here?]  about how dangerous washing-up can be, and for that reason should be avoided at all costs.....

The injury I sustained occurred when I pushed my thumb through the [thin] glass base of a cafetiere....under the soapy water. The glass managed to slice my thumb right open [I suddenly had 6 flappy fingers!], blood everywhere, made worse by the presence of loads of water [the kitchen sink!]

All I could wrap the hand up with was an old  pillow case...

Being a solo flyer, I then had to jump in my car and drive, to the nearest casualty clearing station...[or, UTC?]...13 miles away!

Now,  being as per Edwardian, a ''big stwong buoy''...I didn't even consider telephoning for an ambulance, or  para-medic [do they really jump out of an aeroplane?]...thinking that, calling for an ambulance for a [badly, as it turned out] cut thumb was, in my eyes, a misuse of precious services....I mean, an ambulance attending my cut thumb{!} might mean someone having a heart attack not receiving attention quite so quickly....to invoke today's tendency for mass drama....

Anyway, on the way , I began to feel the effects of shock setting in. Shock is something that even a minor injury can bring on....and can manifest itself in all sorts of ways...including, passing out!  Not everyone in this maladjusted society we live in, has someone [anyone] one can immediately call upon in an 'emergency'...Life isn't  so convenient.  But, before I set out I did call my GP surgery [4 miles away]...to be told I must catch a bus  to the UTC...or get a taxi, etc... or get a friend/family member to drive me there....Now, i know my GP surgery, and its staff, quite well [not too many visits, but I've lived around here for decades]....my responses to their suggestions were to the point, in the manner of most 'locals'...

So I drove....I got seen within a couple of minutes [followed by a contract cleaner with a mop & bucket!!]...and the 'nurse' [are they called 'nurses' any more?] who asked if someone was waiting for me? When I told him the full tale, and that no-one was lingering outside...he then told me to 'sod peoples' opinions' next time, and call an ambulance!!  Regardless!  It was, after all, he said, what the ambulance service was for......[Most likely a paramedic in a fast car would be sent first.]

Anyhow, I was 'stitched up' and had to wait until they were certain I still had enough blood left inside me, to be able to drive home again...

I was  finding pools of dried blood around the house for weeks afterwards..it gets into some unlikely places.

Source of much amusement for the family too....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Things can affect you in funny ways. I've have some reasonably gory injuries in my time and been fine about it, but once, when I sliced a bit off my thumb (a relatively minor injury by the standards of my modelling) I called urgently for a cup of sweet tea (I'm a no sugar man in tea and coffee).  Fortunately my children sorted me out while the Memsahib just found it funny and berated me for being a whimp.  You see, the army trains you to recognise going into shock and I reaslised I was. At the same time berated myself for suffering shock at such a minor injury, as I say, I've had worse and didn't do so when foot boiling. Indeed, that was the only time it happened, but, I knew what was happening so acted accordingly.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Problem with ambulances is that unless its a stroke, you've fallen and the injuries are describable as multiple/serious or its an RTC, the waiting time they'll give you is eyewatering. Severe crippling back pain merits 10 hours wait or more. Luckily I had a friend who could get me to A&E and had the time to wait with me until I was seen.

(I didn't mention it in my previous post but I got home from A&E quite a bit after midnight...)

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, Hroth said:

Problem with ambulances is that unless its a stroke, you've fallen and the injuries are describable as multiple/serious or its an RTC, the waiting time they'll give you is eyewatering. Severe crippling back pain merits 10 hours wait or more. Luckily I had a friend who could get me to A&E and had the time to wait with me until I was seen.

Indeed.

Fortunately it was my left foot and I currently drive an automatic!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I just thought.

Does Castle Aching have a Cottage Hospital?

Given our woes, it might be a Good Thing!

There was some talk of that. 

I note from the opening post that CA boasts a physician and surgeon and the cottage hospital is at Achingham.

Fortunately only a dozen miles in a rackety 1870s oil-lit 4-wheeler from CA!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Could be worse, if you lived in Wolfringham St Felix, I'd give you a longer journey in a rackety 1860s oil-lit 4-wheeler!

But what's the service interval?

And I doubt if there could be reliance on a troop of Boy Scouts and their handcart. They started in 1908, and "Bob A Job" didn't appear until 1949....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But what's the service interval?

And I doubt if there could be reliance on a troop of Boy Scouts and their handcart. They started in 1908, and "Bob A Job" didn't appear until 1949....

Not even Hell in a Handcart. Proper bleak.

Moral of the story. don't pour boiling water over your foot, but, if you must, make sure it's your left, you drive and automatic and can take yourself to a hospital a mere 20 minutes away where the treatment is free!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

If it is of any assistance, the ban on your liberation consumption may well be an excess of caution.

The origin of that theory, was way back, when antibiotics were a very new and wonderful discovery, which were salvation for thousands of wounded soldiers.  Such was the success of the antibiotics that many of the treated soldiers felt so much better and visited the nearest hostelry, to imbibe according to their previous experience {Let he without guilt throw the first stone...}  The resultant combination of wound weakened body and alcohol intake, was a rather negative contribution to the rates of recovery and considerable contribution of  disciplinary resources!  The solution was to inform those treated with antibiotics that they would not work, should alcohol be consumed.

A few moments with the information leaflet may be more informative that my historical reflections...  but perhaps revealing benefits.   🤭

That’s an incredibly dangerous and irresponsible post to make, and also conjecture based on hearsay.

There are many forms of antibiotics, and whilst some might be ok with a reasonable amount of alcohol, most of them aren’t: they can, amongst other things, act as carriers taking alcohol into parts of the brain and other organs from alcohol is usually kept away: this can be destructive. 

Some antibiotics are administered as “ant-abuse”, to deter alcoholics from drinking because they can react with the alcohol and make you think you are dying - as well as increasing heartbeat, etc. I know this latter to be true, because 20 years ago I experienced it. I was prescribed it by a dentist, who did not warn me about why not to drink, merely that i shouldn’t. My then wife had told me about this risk, and warned me not to have any alcohol whatsoever. Unfortunately, something I ate either had something fermented in it, or a touch of alcohol, and I spent an uncomfortable 3 hours expecting my aorta to explode.

It’s not that the antibiotics don’t work when combined with alcohol, it’s more usually the case that nasty side-effects can happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ignorance is bliss.

I was reconciled to a week on the wagon, but this debate caused me to look it up.

And I quote:

You can eat and drink normally while taking amoxicillin. Yes, you can drink alcohol with amoxicillin.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/amoxicillin/#:~:text=You%20can%20eat%20and%20drink,can%20drink%20alcohol%20with%20amoxicillin.

Every day a, hic, school day.

So, I can party like it's 1999, or Downing Street!

image.png.528cf38c6e1cbc31a59b59482bc21c73.png

Promise I won't, though

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I was reconciled to a week on the wagon, but this debate caused me to look it up.

And I quote:

You can eat and drink normally while taking amoxicillin. Yes, you can drink alcohol with amoxicillin.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/amoxicillin/#:~:text=You%20can%20eat%20and%20drink,can%20drink%20alcohol%20with%20amoxicillin.

Two things there.

Firstly, that’s a specific antibiotic, known to be ok, and secondly, as you say, you looked it up.

In the case of medicines, rule 1 is, look it up, and rule 2 is, don’t generalise.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Regularity said:

Two things there.

Firstly, that’s a specific antibiotic, known to be ok, and secondly, as you say, you looked it up.

In the case of medicines, rule 1 is, look it up, and rule 2 is, don’t generalise.

Don't disagree. Based on your post, I looked up the one I was on.

Now excuse me, there are less than 10 hours before last orders, so I must get going. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

19 minutes ago, Regularity said:

That’s an incredibly dangerous and irresponsible post to make, and also conjecture based on hearsay.

Oh? Come now! This is a left-field model railway forum! Somewhere near close to being social media!

You don't think for one moment anyone who reads these threads actually believes what has been posted??

FAcebook is positively  credible when compared to RMweb!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, alastairq said:

This is a left-field model railway forum! Somewhere near close to being social media!

You don't think for one moment anyone who reads these threads actually believes what has been posted??

Well, I hope not but you never know, but why do people feel the need to post hearsay and anecdotes at all?

It’s like my apocryphal story beats hard science anyday…

• Like 1

I'm insulted. All I've tried to do is faithfully catalogue knowledge of an overlooked pre-Grouping railway company in Norfolk!

But, no, there's the rest of social media for disinformation and fake news. My feeling is that fortunately most parishioners unconsciously exercise editorial control in terms of fact-checking their content, or include appropriate caveats. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

My other halfs tolerance for alcohol isn't great anyway, but the meds she was on when we first got together if combined with alcohol caused her to "go mental for half an hour and then pass out". She wasn't exaggerating.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Apocryphially speaking, I've always found that my GP prescribes Amoxycillin as a first stab at treatment. It's not unusual to have one or two more rounds of treatment with different antibiotics to get the little b@stards that can stomach amox (and the second stab too..).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Apocryphially speaking, I've always found that my GP prescribes Amoxycillin as a first stab at treatment. It's not unusual to have one or two more rounds of treatment with different antibiotics to get the little b@stards that can stomach amox (and the second stab too..).

Agree, I think it's a general type and first thing to try, which seems sensible in the case of an infected wound.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Look on the bright side, you could be a victim of the heinous crime against humanity that is "being offended"... 😉

Ah, the weaponsiation of victimhood and the weaponisation of the weaponisation of victimhood to deny victimhood. Two of many reasons I don't do social meedja

Whereas the worse it gets here is Stephen having, yet again, to defend the Midland Railway's small engine policy.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Agree, I think it's a general type and first thing to try, which seems sensible in the case of an infected wound.

When I was in Dental Practice amoxycillen was the 'go to antibiotic other than for those who had an allergy to penicillin. 

Drug interactions (and alcohol is a drug) generally take one of two forms. Inhibition, where one reduces the effect of the other, or potentiation, where one enhanced the effect of the other.

Jim 

• Informative/Useful 2