35 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Just like South Wales, then.  No wonder the emigrants were irresistibly reminded of the arid plateaus of the Swansea hinterland

"The climate of New South Wales is temperate, characterized by hot, dry summers and cold wet winters. Along the coast the wettest period are the months between January and June, the average annual rainfall in this area is of 900-1,200 mm."  

From the climate of New South Wales: when to go - Travel Guide

https://www.travelguide-en.org › Oceania › Australia

I should have learnt by now to never assume.

Assume.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, rocor said:

Little sign of heavy rusting on the rolling stock, I take it that northern NSW has a very dry climate. I do wonder what provision the curator of this collection has made for it upon his demise, though.

Northern NSW is sub-tropical, Dorrigo area has rainforests and waterfalls. 

The curator of the museum is a pretty controversial guy, this is a media report from 1989, nothing has changed since then except he's bought even more stuff, and what is there is getting more and more delipidated, especially the wooden items and the permanent way.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

8 hours ago, Regularity said:

No wonder US audiences require subtitles for Scots!

There are some parts of Scotland where even Scots would need subtitles, Aberdeenshire for one.    A patient of mine told the story of him and his wife touring there with their caravan looking for a particular campsite (this was before mobile phones or sat-navs).  They stopped a local and asked for directions.  After the conversation his wife asked him 'What did he say?'  'I have absolutely no idea!' was his response!

Jim

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

Which reminds me of the old joke about my part of the world.

Top deck of a Corporation bus, Wolverhampton, September 1939:

1st old lady: "Av yam 'erd? Thay Jurmins av invaydid Worsow?"

2nd old lady: " Worsow? Blimey, this buz better urry up, they'll be down here in arfa nower..."

• Like 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't get us started on Enoch and Eli...

Aynuk says to Ayli: What yow bin doin, our kid?

Ayli: I bin fishin in the cut.

Aynuk: Did yow catch anythink?

Ayli: Eye, I caught a whale.

Aynuk (astonished): Yow caught a whale in the cut? Wot'cher don wi'it?

Ayli: I threw it back.

Aynuck: Wot'cher do that fur?
Ayli: It ad no spokes to it.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

I was watching a program about the Outer Hebrides and they were filming on the Ilse of Barra.  Of course they were speaking Gaelic and there were subtitles in English.  One son moved to Glasgow to find work and he commented, "I do not know about on Barra, but I think they should have subtitles here when people speak."  

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I was watching a program about the Outer Hebrides and they were filming on the Ilse of Barra.  Of course they were speaking Gaelic and there were subtitles in English.  One son moved to Glasgow to find work and he commented, "I do not know about on Barra, but I think they should have subtitles here when people speak."  

I remember a few years back there was a documentary on the TV with someone from Glasgow contributing, and they provided sub-titles.  There were complaints about it afterwards.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember it taking a while to get the hand of what he was saying on Taggart. I love all these regional accents. Born a cockney I found I was speaking a lot of rhyming slang without knowing it.  Marion grew up in a rural area on the Hampshire/Berkshire border when we moved to Birmingham for work  the people in her office all thought she had a funny accent. Moving out to rural Shropshire a different accent and new words too. How much better to have variety and if we cannot cope with the odd misunderstanding our brains are useless.

Don

• Like 8
  • Agree 3

23 minutes ago, Donw said:

I remember it taking a while to get the hand of what he was saying on Taggart.

When my son went to work in Edinburgh his colleagues kept asking him to say 'There's been a murrdurr'.

Jim

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

Actor Robert Carlyle was in a TV series in 1998 (just after Hamish Macbeth and The Full Monty) called Looking After Jo Jo, in which he played a drug dealer from Edinburgh's North Sighthill estate.  The show had very necessary subtitles; however, they did not show the translation into Standard English, but were a simple transliteration of what was being said into written form, much like writing Mandarin Chinese in Pinyin Roman alphabet rather than characters.  As such, I still have no idea what they were talking about!

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

My father was absolutely fascinated with accents and localisms because when he ‘joined up’ during the war he encountered guys from all over Britain for the first time, and it left a lasting impression. He always said that two world wars levelled accents across Britain because they had to find some way of understanding one another properly!

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

My father was absolutely fascinated with accents and localisms because when he ‘joined up’ during the war he encountered guys from all over Britain for the first time, and it left a lasting impression. He always said that two world wars levelled accents across Britain because they had to find some way of understanding one another properly!

There is an invaluable archive of recordings by a German/Austrian? doctor given access to British PoWs in WW1 showing the strength of county accents in those days. 

Ralph Fiennes's voice coach for The Dig described the process of converting the actor's speech as "suffolkating",which I love! 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Sorry but I just remembered what the little picture of you reminds me of..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

23 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

There are some parts of Scotland where even Scots would need subtitles, Aberdeenshire for one.   

For a sample of the 'Doric' (Aberdeenshire dialect), try this.

or this 

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

For a sample of the 'Doric' (Aberdeenshire dialect)

Saw them live in Aberdeen, about 31 years ago. 
I didn’t have any trouble following them - but as a “Sassenach” (to be honest, more Anglo than Saxon, so I feel slighted by such a label) maybe I approached the, with a more open ear than a Lollander? ;)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Edwardian said:

There is an invaluable archive of recordings by a German/Austrian? doctor given access to British PoWs in WW1 showing the strength of county accents in those days. 

Ralph Fiennes's voice coach for The Dig described the process of converting the actor's speech as "suffolkating",which I love! 

Circa 1964, our family went to Innsbruck for 2 weeks holiday. While there we travelled on the Stubital Bahn to Fulpmes and then got a bus to the waterfalls at the head of the Stubital. While on the bus, a German gentleman tapped my Father on the shoulder and asked if he came from Bottomboat, Stanley, West Yorks. Recovering his composure Father admitted that was where he was born and lived till aged 9 his family moved to Peterborough (New England - a Railway House on Lincoln Road). Further conversation made it clear that the German gentleman had been a prisoner of war for most of WW2 and spent a lot of time studying the accents of the camp guards and where they originated from.

Needless to say while my Father kept his Bottomboat accent for the rest of his life his younger brothers - one born in Bottomboat and the other in New England - bothe developed real "Swedey" East Anglian accents.

Nowt as strange as folk.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5