6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

'ere!  Thats an 'ole!!!!

Is this one going to upset the views of them next door too?

Yes, but the other side. The side you see is owned by my landlord, who was happy for me to place a shed here (formerly a chicken shed and run).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Much more salubrious than an ex-chicken shed!

Hope the replacement arrives sooner than later...

Thanks, however, the chicken shed was low, so did not spoil the view, apparently.

Tomorrow, apparently!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I have not been entirely idle in the cause of Castle Aching.

Not quite on the same scale, but a modest contribution:

WNR.jpg.133d2645a9711bce8b3002f3afe7dce9.jpg

First pass at BM. It's changed in detail, but I hope remains recognisable in character.

Left to Right

• Junction unchanged, but moving the whole shebang back into the corner a bit more (to increase aisle width in the operating area, now >3' in case Stephen comes round to play trains!) means the TT was getting cramped. Lazy solution was to put it on a kickback.
  • Goods shed and dock to follow the pattern from Achingham*. Crane suggested.
  • Goods loop added - given the amount of traffic BM is to handle (all the trains?) this seems like the least a layout planner can do!
  • Loading/cattle dock...not sure about this, but the idea was that if the ground level of the station forecourt etc is all at platform level (not that rare), then this rather flexible arrangement arrives all by itself. Not sure how that ties into the geography (BM being in a valley, which given the curvature and obvious scenic choice of having the town visible in the lower RH corner, should be sloping down away from the operator) but anyway...!
  • The blanked-out crossing is optional I think - it makes sense and prevents a feeling of wrong-line running as Down trains move across into the Main Down platform; but does add considerably to the visible complexity, and the geometry will need a tickle to line up properly.
  • RH headshunt/coal yard...or not. This area could be a 'proper' goods yard or whatever really. I quite like the crossing from the Goods Loop - to me it says Purpose, a line with places to go and things to do! - but you may not. I think it does need something to make it look Railway, so that the pointwork behind is clearly the start of the station throat.

*Achingham changes:

• Gasworks reverted to its original form, more or less, but there's now a bit of room before entereing through the maltings gate to use as a headshunt. Neater, nicer. 
  • It's now very definitely looking like the back of the Maltings. This may be what you had in mind (there's plenty of space for fully modeling the other side, after all), but I'm not sure...?
  • The utility siding is now expanded into a full-blown mileage siding. This was bourne of necessity, as I was starting to find space for stock a bit tight, and for scenic and operational interest. It looks a bit naff in plan but the 3D views have potential, I think. It also might look a bit tight but there's heaps of room either side: carts need about 20' to turn IIRC, so 80mm between rail and obstruction minimum, and as-shown is >130mm between siding and maltings fence/wall and >160mm between siding and shed road (measured through the labels). Forgive the crap pic, but for visual reference:Yardage.thumb.jpg.f7bb9f10231aeaaf678e4264fd370370.jpgence, a crap pic:

I can confirm that the Old Wharf part of Ingleford does not look cramped!

Right, back to what I'm meant to be doing. Happy lunchtime all!

Edited by Schooner
Oh, sorry! The main change at Achingham is of course the loop connection is now facing from the running line! Again, brought about after playing trains a bit and finding the setting back from the platform ugly. If using 3-way, as shown, also extends dock
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

24 minutes ago, Schooner said:

WNR.jpg.133d2645a9711bce8b3002f3afe7dce9.jpg

First pass at BM. It's changed in detail, but I hope remains recognisable in character.

Left to Right

• Junction unchanged, but moving the whole shebang back into the corner a bit more (to increase aisle width in the operating area, now >3' in case Stephen comes round to play trains!) means the TT was getting cramped. Lazy solution was to put it on a kickback.
  • Goods loop added - given the amount of traffic BM is to handle (all the trains?) this seems like the least a layout planner can do!
  • Loading/cattle dock...not sure about this, but the idea was that if the ground level of the station forecourt etc is all at platform level (not that rare), then this rather flexible arrangement arrives all by itself. Not sure how that ties into the geography (BM being in a valley, which given the curvature and obvious scenic choice of having the town visible in the lower RH corner, should be sloping down away from the operator) but anyway...!
  • The blanked-out crossing is optional I think - it makes sense and prevents a feeling of wrong-line running as Down trains move across into the Main Down platform; but does add considerably to the visible complexity, and the geometry will need a tickle to line up properly.
  • RH headshunt/coal yard...or not. This area could be a 'proper' goods yard or whatever really. I quite like the crossing from the Goods Loop - to me it says Purpose, a line with places to go and things to do! - but you may not. I think it does need something to make it look Railway, so that the pointwork behind is clearly the start of the station throat.

*Achingham changes:

• Gasworks reverted to its original form, more or less, but there's now a bit of room before entereing through the maltings gate to use as a headshunt. Neater, nicer. 
  • It's now very definitely looking like the back of the Maltings. This may be what you had in mind (there's plenty of space for fully modeling the other side, after all), but I'm not sure...?
  • The utility siding is now expanded into a full-blown mileage siding. This was bourne of necessity, as I was starting to find space for stock a bit tight, and for scenic and operational interest. It looks a bit naff in plan but the 3D views have potential, I think. It also might look a bit tight but there's heaps of room either side: carts need about 20' to turn IIRC, so 80mm between rail and obstruction minimum, and as-shown is >130mm between siding and maltings fence/wall and >160mm between siding and shed road (measured through the labels). Forgive the crap pic, but for visual reference:Yardage.thumb.jpg.f7bb9f10231aeaaf678e4264fd370370.jpgence, a crap pic:

I can confirm that the Old Wharf part of Ingleford does not look cramped!

Right, back to what I'm meant to be doing. Happy lunchtime all!

😀

I'll study further and respond, but, on a first look and read through, that all looks excellent.

Comments please!

• RMweb Gold

I have nearly finished my log cabin build, 9 months after I started it.

And we are probably putting the house on the market in a couple of weeks…!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Edwardian said:

And so it begins ...

20220623_162915.thumb.jpg.8f0256c652982aa5cc8fb43b664fe1fa.jpg

You've got no excuse for not being able to make nice models of stone sheds with slate roofs with those fine examples of the breed right next door to you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

27 minutes ago, Annie said:

You've got no excuse for not being able to make nice models of stone sheds with slate roofs with those fine examples of the breed right next door to you.

But when shed construction is completed, they'll be concealed behind AJ2!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, Schooner said:

Brilliant. Thank you again

Left to Right

Birchoverham Market: That seems to work. It would be good to see it in the context of the complete plan.

Question for the parish: I like the solution of putting the TT on a kick-back; any reason not to?

Question for the parish: Again, seems jolly sensible to me, so is this a reasonably prototypical  arrangement and how would the yard be worked? 

No, that's a perfect fit. I wanted a livestock market across the road from the CD in that area. 

Someone will have to explain all this to my simple brain.

Question for the parish: Happy for these to be coal sidings. Happy to have a crossing from the Goods Loop. Again, is this a reasonably prototypical  arrangement and how would the yard be worked? 

*Achingham changes:

All looks good.

What happens at the rear of the maltings depends on how much room I end up with.

• The utility siding is now expanded into a full-blown mileage siding. This was bourne of necessity, as I was starting to find space for stock a bit tight, and for scenic and operational interest. It looks a bit naff in plan but the 3D views have potential, I think. It also might look a bit tight but there's heaps of room either side: carts need about 20' to turn IIRC, so 80mm between rail and obstruction minimum, and as-shown is >130mm between siding and maltings fence/wall and >160mm between siding and shed road (measured through the labels).

Happy for mileage siding. 

I think we agreed to dispense with the fencing, but would be happy to see coal office and stacks somewhere along here.

Thanks again

471496346_20220623AchinghamBM.jpg.6b223aafa476153684bb15989bc66909.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I would have no quibble with a turntable on a kick back ( Dolgelley is an example) however I do not like it there  too close to the station building. However there isn't a natural place for it . It is at the back from the operator/viewer so would look so bad but it will impinge on the town. It could look natural as one of those stations that crept round the back of the town so had the cattle market and other not so posh buildings there in which case the TT would not look out of place.

Achingham  I would have the mileage siding running alongside the Malting fence to open up the yard area and you could have wagons being unloaded/loaded from carts. It would make the access to the GS look better

Don

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donw said:

I would have no quibble with a turntable on a kick back ( Dolgelley is an example) however I do not like it there  too close to the station building. However there isn't a natural place for it . It is at the back from the operator/viewer so would look so bad but it will impinge on the town. It could look natural as one of those stations that crept round the back of the town so had the cattle market and other not so posh buildings there in which case the TT would not look out of place.

It might help that this is a relatively small TT. Schooner's software uses a 13" TT.  Mine will be something more like 7 1/2".   

1 hour ago, Donw said:

Achingham  I would have the mileage siding running alongside the Malting fence to open up the yard area and you could have wagons being unloaded/loaded from carts. It would make the access to the GS look better

Don

The idea is to model the town in forced perspective, so town centre buildings will be both Small and Far Away

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

I like the turntable where it is, having already realised that it was drawn over-sized, because it allows for a picket fence at the edge of the station forecourt, covered with enamel adverts for patent sheep dips and the like, over which boys and grown-up boys can watch engines being turned, which seems a very 1905 form of entertainment. I get the impression from photos that standing about in small groups chatting and watching other people do things was a big thing back then.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

I like the turntable where it is, having already realised that it was drawn over-sized, because it allows for a picket fence at the edge of the station forecourt, covered with enamel adverts for patent sheep dips and the like, over which boys and grown-up boys can watch engines being turned, which seems a very 1905 form of entertainment. I get the impression from photos that standing about in small groups chatting and watching other people do things was a big thing back then.

Very much how I envisaged the set up at Castle Aching, and, yes, by extension other stations. 

Perhaps a boarded fence on the outside of Castle Aching TT pit, and, as you say, picket fences separating the TT from the station forecourts at CA and Birchoverham Market.

226320150_Withernsea01.jpg.dc5ef3daee142686ec087c3eeed579bc.jpg

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

52 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Very much how I envisaged the set up at Castle Aching, and, yes, by extension other stations. 

Perhaps a boarded fence on the outside of Castle Aching TT pit, and, as you say, picket fences separating the TT from the station forecourts at CA and Birchoverham Market.

226320150_Withernsea01.jpg.dc5ef3daee142686ec087c3eeed579bc.jpg

Just don't rubberneck over the fence where the buffer stop is....

Oops.jpg.aace224a17526420708276e10629ce6d.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montparnasse_derailment

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I get the impression from photos that standing about in small groups chatting and watching other people do things was a big thing back then.

640px-Ford_Madox_Brown_-_Work_-_artchive

For artists and philosophers, yes.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

640px-Ford_Madox_Brown_-_Work_-_artchive

For artists and philosophers, yes.

Bravo!

We haven't had a Pre-Raph for ages....

I wonder how AJ2 is coming along, I picture it as an Amish-style Barn Raising, like the scene in "Witness"!

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Bravo!

We haven't had a Pre-Raph for ages....

Too true!

I wonder how AJ2 is coming along

20220624_095452.thumb.jpg.0c2c141fe4549ccb61c5966531f3029e.jpg

I picture it as an Amish-style Barn Raising, like the scene in "Witness"!

I looked up "Amish" in the Uxbridge English Dictionary, Apparently it means "a bit like Amy"

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4