3621: I don't know anything about the place, but my instant reaction to the picture was "train engine shunting vans onto or off of its train". Is that possible, given the layout of the place?

K

PS: I do like that industrial loco in nearly-BR livery; it looks almost exactly like a Bassett Lowke 0-6-0T that I've got, which is a Henry Greenly freelance design!

Edited by Nearholmer

I think that the photo in #3609 has been taken from the bridge in the background of your one. So therefore Mr Watson, it's either wrong track (Single line working, second platform not in use) or push-pull.

Would it be tender first for push-pull, probably not, so going for bi-directional platform. Also, two lamps on front (?) of engine. Only one if it's the back I think!!!

Well that's my deduction anyway...

post-25673-0-83058000-1494942315.jpg

From the depths of profound ignorance of railway practice on Yorkshire's rail systems, (the closest I have been to that fine County's railways was walking part of the track bed of the L&Y as part of a WEA course in the late 1970's ).....may I ask.... 

1) is this train running "Wrong  Rail"? or as a push-pull service? 

2) has the image been reversed? (compare with picture in post 3609 )

All I can say is that the photograph is certainly not reversed, and the train is facing east, towards Leyburn.  I have seen a couple of pictures of trains facing in this direction occupying this platform road, though a picture of the last service shows the train facing the opposite direction. I have to hand a photograph which seems to date from LNER days with a 2-coach local arriving at Hawes, from the west, at this platform.

It was a single line.  NE services would have continued west from Hawes to Hawes Junction (Garsdale), where tender engines would be turned on the famous stockade turntable.  So this locomotive was probably turned at Hawes Junction and is heading further back into NE territory.  Or, indeed, could be shunting!

EDIT:  I think Caley Jim's suggestion - post 3625 - that they used the main platform in either direction when there were no trains passing may prove correct.  Same thought had occurred to me.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

All I can say is that the photograph is certainly not reversed, and the train is facing east, towards Leyburn.  I have seen a couple of pictures of trains facing in this direction occupying this platform road, though a picture of the last service shows the train facing the opposite direction. I have to hand a photograph which seems to date from LNER days with a 2-coach local arriving at Hawes, from the west, at this platform.

It was a single line.  NE services would have continued west from Hawes to Hawes Junction (Garsdale), where tender engines would be turned on the famous stockade turntable.  So this locomotive was probably turned at Hawes Junction and is heading further back into NE territory.  Or, indeed, could be shunting!

EDIT:  I think Caley Jim's suggestion - post 3625 - that they used the main platform in either direction when there were no trains passing may prove correct.  Same thought had occurred to me.

Hawes Joint station was a terminus for both the Midland line from Hawes Junction and the North Eastern line from Leyburn. Some NER passenger trains worked through to Hawes Junction but the only photo I can remember seeing shows a class O 0-4-4T with a train of 6-wheelers, probably around 1902-5 as the main subject is a Belpaire in full Johnson rig. So there would be no need to use the turntable. At Hawes, it would be natural for terminating trains to use the south platform as this had the main station facilities and the carriage approach. Anyway, the two vehicles behind the 4-4-0 (Class M?) look like full brakes rather than passenger -carrying stock - a pigeon-fanciers special perhaps?

The layout at Hawes was typically Midland in so far as the Midland couldn't really cope with single track branch lines - there was a long double-track loop through the station with the goods loop off it connected by trailing crossovers in each direction, as if it were a true double-tracked line. All the signalling equipment was provided by the Midland but maintained by the North Eastern, or so I read - I wonder if that was the arrangement from the beginning?

Don't know about pigeons, there was a dairy around somewhere up there, I'd say milk traffic.

Cattle and sheep from the Dales farms, probably mainly in the direction of Leyburn, the market for the lower dale.

Milk traffic was a creation of the line.  Hitherto, lack of access to market had caused the Dales farmers to turn their milk into diary produce to consume locally.  The advent of the railway led to significant milk traffic on the line from at least the 1890s, as the farmers could now produce milk to sell on to the wider world.  So great did the volume become that the Wensleydale Pure Milk Society was formed and a dedicated bottling plant opened adjacent to the NER at Northallerton in 1905. 

Commercial cheese production followed with the Wensleydale Farmers' Association dairy at Redmire. 

Stone was the traffic that was predominantly forwarded westward, by the Midland from Hawes.

Edited by Edwardian

Hi,

A bit back there is an interesting topic on 'saloons', the Midland Railway at Butterley have just finished the restoration of a 6 wheel picnic saloon (they were internally fitted to both 1st and 3rd class.

A couple of photos are at the following link     http://www.midlandrailway-butterley.co.uk/18-year-restoration-project-nears-completion/ 

Another one has also been restored at the link below - this one is in M&GN colours and is a nice large photo with others also added below it.

http://nnrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/completion-special-m-saloon-no3.html

Yours Peter R

Hi,

A bit back there is an interesting topic on 'saloons', the Midland Railway at Butterley have just finished the restoration of a 6 wheel picnic saloon (they were internally fitted to both 1st and 3rd class.

A couple of photos are at the following link     http://www.midlandrailway-butterley.co.uk/18-year-restoration-project-nears-completion/ 

Another one has also been restored at the link below - this one is in M&GN colours and is a nice large photo with others also added below it.

http://nnrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/completion-special-m-saloon-no3.html

Yours Peter R

Those are superb coaches, thank you for posting.

Though you mention M&GN "colours", it is Midland livery with M&GNJ lettering.  The first Midland coaches were transferred to the M&GNJ in 1903, along with Great Northern coaches, to meet an acute shortage.

They were re-lettered, but not repainted, as I understand, so the picture of a Midland crimson coach running side by side with a Great Northern teak coach would have been quite prototypical.

Hawes is still a centre of dairy production https://www.wensleydale.co.uk/ it is a bigger tourist attraction than the remains of a forgotten railway (well not forgotten by us).

Wensleydale weren't bad but I still prefer a bit of West Country Cheddar or Red Leicester.

Don

The King of Cheeses is, of course, Stilton, but the two you mention are also among the very finest.

Wallace and Gromit will hunt us down for not preferring Wensleydale

post-25673-0-23450800-1495045946_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

A surfeit.

Didn't one famous railway modeller perish due to a surfeit of lamp-irons, having fitted too many to his model of a LSWR T9, and been stoned-to-death with rivets, at the P4 Society AGM?

Or, maybe I misremembered.

K

• RMweb Premium

Though you mention M&GN "colours", it is Midland livery with M&GNJ lettering.  The first Midland coaches were transferred to the M&GNJ in 1903, along with Great Northern coaches, to meet an acute shortage.

They were re-lettered, but not repainted, as I understand, so the picture of a Midland crimson coach running side by side with a Great Northern teak coach would have been quite prototypical.

The King of Cheeses is, of course, Stilton, but the two you mention are also among the very finest.

no a soft brie is far superior with a good glass of vintage style port

Nick

no a soft brie is far superior with a good glass of vintage style port

Nick

Vive la différence

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A surfeit.

Didn't one famous railway modeller perish due to a surfeit of lamp-irons, having fitted too many to his model of a LSWR T9, and been stoned-to-death with rivets, at the P4 Society AGM?

Or, maybe I misremembered.

K

A surfeit of ballast wagons shirley...

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlamprey

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Were I ever in the position of having to do away with myself, with all respect to Socrates, I think I'd give Hemlock a miss and choose the excessive consumption of Stilton.

I am a great supporter of Caerphilly cheese - made in Somerset and exported to Wales from Highbridge Wharf!

post-14351-0-52458500-1495091041_thumb.jpg

from a recreation of the Toll Charges board on the wharfside.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

I am a great supporter of Caerphilly cheese - made in Somerset and exported to Wales from Highbridge Wharf!

attachicon.gifcheese board.jpg

from a recreation of the Toll Charges board on the wharfside.

Interesting, so not made in Caerphilly or from there at all!

Rather like Stilton, a product of my native heath; Stilton was just where it was sold.

• RMweb Premium

And to bring it back to Norfolk,   our exports of Haggis to Scotland...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oh they are, but they have equal sized legs, as there are no mountains in Norfolk. The Beeston Bump Haggis being long extinct. IIRC the last being killed by a golf ball hit by Prince Edward ( later Edward VII) in 1902

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well at least my favourite local cheese is actually made where it says it is!!

It's so local that I used to have an office next door to them and buy it straight from the production line

And in case you are wondering it is this: https://www.bookhams.com/sussex-charmer/sussex-charmer

You should all try some!! (Just a happy customer etc.)

Gary

• Like 5

I have to confess to my shame that having been born and bred in Sussex (apart from 4 years in "The North" at university and teacher training college), I had never heard of Sussex Charmer, nor Twineham Grange, Cheese.  I must look out for some.

Mick

• Like 1

And we mainly eat Brie from Cornwall. How does that work?

The Cornish are French, that's how!

Well, actually they're Breton, whereas Seine-et-Marne is certainly in France, so, you're right, that doesn't work, unless of course we are simply all suitably cosmopolitan.

A thought to cling to in the dark days ahead ....

Hat ... coat ....

• Like 2