• RMweb Premium

Now you Don't want to get Sid kipper and Keith Skipper on stage together, IF you don't talk Narf'k it doesn't matter, you've got no chance, you will be laughing...

Some thing hanging in my parents hallway tells me those pelicans get everywhere...

post-15969-0-89018200-1495439063.jpg

A little closer to home than those drays on the dark side (Suffolk, Adnams)

We have here in Norfolk,  Woodfordes Beers near me and these little friends,

post-15969-0-13671700-1495439183.jpg

And they bring a very nice range of pints too...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

Right, while I was having a sandwich for lunch, the following ditty occurred to me:

A keen taxidermist

Has had her in his sight

Ev-ery evening, and all through the night

It was not with sage and onion

He was stalking through the glade

But intent into an ornament

The dodo should be made

The poor dodo wailed

The poor dodo wailed

Onto a plank my tiny feet

Are soon to be nailed

So up comes the daring stuffer

A twelve bore in his grip

But using her vestigial wing

The dodo had him trip.

O'er rolled the taxidermist

Out roared the fearful gun

And all in an instant

A rapid deed is done.

The poor fellow wailed

The poor fellow wailed

Onto a gert big lump of wood

His size twelve feet were nailed.

The dodo trussed him good and well

Denuded in a trice

Then with a sharpish instrument

From him she took a slice

Out come his gory innards

All a spilin' on the floor

Then into him stuffed sawdust

Ten pounds and then some more.

No more can he wail

No more can he wail

He is stood a shop window

With a sign that says "For Sale".

(Noted down by Cedric Carpe of the EFD&SS, in the snug of the 'Dodo' at Castle Aching, during a post-harvest revel in Autumn 1905. The name of the leader of the round was not recorded)

Members of the CAPC will probably be disappointed to learn that the only other (sighs of relief all round) song recorded in the area by Carpe has a somewhat scatalogical tone, but I reporoduce it below because of its strong local interest.

'Harvest Beer'

I'm lately come from Castle Achin'

and still me 'ands is shakin'

From the takin'

Of a very potent brew.

Potent brew! (This line sung by the entire multitude)

They make it every year

And they call it harvest beer

Even though, in fact,

That isn't really true.

Really true!

You see the truth is rather stranger

Which brings me to the danger

Of imbibing something

Made from dodo poo.

Dodo poo!

They ferment it in a trough

Then they take their trousers off

And stomp about upon it

In one shoe.

In one shoe!

The other foot's kept bare

And standing on a chair.

The reason why?

I haven't got a clue.

He hasn't got a clue!

Afterwards they strain it,

boil the dregs, and drain it

Into vessels which they store

Beneath a pew.

Beneath a pew??!

So if you'm took short in the church

You'm never in the lurch

Cos there's always somewhere

You can quickly goo.

Can quickly goo!

Those who've drunk it and survived

(Albeit medically revived)

Are really very, very,

Very few.

Very few!

But if you're near or just a passin'

It's always worth you askin'

If they might have use

For droppings from a gnu.

From a gnu!

Cos round that way they seem quite partial

To matters mainly martial

And to grog prepared from

Sweepings at the zoo.

At the zoo!

(Repeat final verse)

• Like 1

Be careful with the Broadside – it's real falling-down water at 6.3% ABV...

Richard

In my Essex youth it was half a pint of Greene King Abbot ale mixed with a bottle of Old Bob Pale Ale. You really knew you'd been drinking that and I've drunk most well known East Anglian beers!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Those pictures of Southwold remind me there is the Southwold model railway show at St Felix school. It's a show I very much enjoy. The school is a beautiful historic building. One amusing thing, the catering in a squash court with fresh sandwiches lowered down by basket from the viewing gallery.

Sadly this year the show is 5th-6th August, so it is unlikely I can go as it's my sailing clubs annual regatta week.

Those pictures of Southwold remind me there is the Southwold model railway show at St Felix school. It's a show I very much enjoy. The school is a beautiful historic building. One amusing thing, the catering in a squash court with fresh sandwiches lowered down by basket from the viewing gallery.

Sadly this year the show is 5th-6th August, so it is unlikely I can go as it's my sailing clubs annual regatta week.

Not Blakeney Sailing Club by any chance?

• RMweb Premium

Not Blakeney Sailing Club by any chance?

Although I have sailed at Blakeney several times, no..

I'm a member of Horning Sailing club, who's official regatta week is 31st July to 4th Aug this year with the Commodores day on the 6th.

I am on rescue boat duties for the duration, getting the rescue boats out from 07:00, attending to the flags at the canon firing at 08:00, then putting the bouys out, then back to the club for a bacon butty before the first race at 09:30, rescue duties all day. Then collect the bouys in around 18:00. A quick triple S before the evening doo at around 19:00, till around 23:00. Then do it all again the next day.

Anyway since I am away from home, losing lots of brownie points for the week, being out at Southwold for the 5th would lose all brownie points I ever had...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Although I have sailed at Blakeney several times, no..

I'm a member of Horning Sailing club, who's official regatta week is 31st July to 4th Aug this year with the Commodores day on the 6th.

I am on rescue boat duties for the duration, getting the rescue boats out from 07:00, attending to the flags at the canon firing at 08:00, then putting the bouys out, then back to the club for a bacon butty before the first race at 09:30, rescue duties all day. Then collect the bouys in around 18:00. A quick triple S before the evening doo at around 19:00, till around 23:00. Then do it all again the next day.

Anyway since I am away from home, losing lots of brownie points for the week, being out at Southwold for the 5th would lose all brownie points I ever had...

Will the Farland twins be racing Flash again this year?????

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dear Port and Starboard, I thought that book was a marvellous capture of a place and a time, loved it.

The book was given to me by our next-door neighbour when I was about eight. It taught me to sail long before I ever set foot in a real boat.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Death or glory as made for the film, is still kicking around on the Broads somewhere.

post-15969-0-96446600-1495626971.jpg this was as I saw her last.

Flash I believe was based on the Norfolk Dinghy

post-15969-0-95250200-1495626795.jpg

I used to own a 1 pound share in one worth £2750, only the owners can race them. Enjoyed doing a lot of races in her, but never won anything.

Coot Club is the reason I selected, RAF Neatishead as my First choice of posting out of training. I was amazed to get it, and shortly after getting posted here I learnt to sail at Horning Sailing club within sight of Horning Staithe mentioned many times in the book. Sadly we still get many Hullabaloos here, mostly fitted with getto blasters on the roof of their hire craft. I'll spend most of the time this regatta week sheepherding them along the bank. 40ft of Hireboats trying to weave their way through 80 small children in boats can be very dangerous. So we tell the tourists to stick to the bank, tell the sailing boats to treat any hire craft motoring along the bank as the bank and to turn away.

I've posted these before on RMweb but if you've missed it

2015 regatta week video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzaay1fRpss

More relevant to this thread

Horning Regatta 1908

http://www.archivesenligne.fr/EN/en/chronology/item/1908-Yachting-on-the-Norfolk-Broads

Todays sailing club is to the right of the initial pictures, but back then racing was run from the other side of the river on the corner opposite the Swan Pub which was owned by one of the founders of the club.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I'm in the 2015 Horning Video But I'm  not admitting where...

• Like 1

Had a friend, Mike, at college who was keen to sail, and he hired a boat at Salcombe, conned me and another student to join him. Boat was "Redwing" a gaff rigged clinker built tub, which we came to love. 

We got to Salcombe on our Motorbikes, paid our dues, climbed aboard "Redwing",  hoisted sail, and set off for the other side of the estuary.... eventually Mike confessed that he'd never sailed before BUT had read and inwardly digested a book "How to Sail".......

We approached the far side of the estuary, Mike said "Going about"  we two passengers ducked as the boom came round and we were off to where we came from. Cries of triumph from Mike "It works".

I should add that we didn't have life vests either!!!  The innocence of youth!!  We did have a great time that week. I've never sailed since however..... Mike later emigrated to Vancouver, then sailed with seven other guys across the Pacific eventually settling in Australia.

Edit... typo!

Edited by DonB
  • Like 8

The only vaguely nautical picture that exists of me isn't going to appear here: I'm sans culottes, and sans pretty much everything else, after falling out of my cousin's dinghy. Another no life jackets job - seems to me that only boys on scout trips wore them.

My mothers family have salt water in their veins, and I did toy with the idea of marine, rather than railway, engineering, but the appeal wasn't so strong.

• Like 5

The only vaguely nautical picture that exists of me isn't going to appear here: I'm sans culottes, and sans pretty much everything else, after falling out of my cousin's dinghy. Another no life jackets job - seems to me that only boys on scout trips wore them.

My mothers family have salt water in their veins, and I did toy with the idea of marine, rather than railway, engineering, but the appeal wasn't so strong.

Comme ça?

post-25673-0-67631400-1495660318.jpg