Well at least my favourite local cheese is actually made where it says it is!!

It's so local that I used to have an office next door to them and buy it straight from the production line

And in case you are wondering it is this: https://www.bookhams.com/sussex-charmer/sussex-charmer

You should all try some!! (Just a happy customer etc.)

Gary

Brilliant name for a cheese!

Second-hand car salesman, less so, but great for a seductive flavoursome cheese.

I have to confess to my shame that having been born and bred in Sussex (apart from 4 years in "The North" at university and teacher training college), I had never heard of Sussex Charmer, nor Twineham Grange, Cheese.  I must look out for some.

Mick

Never a day goes by when I don't learn something interesting  from this topic.

Fairly often it's something railway-related, too!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to confess to my shame that having been born and bred in Sussex (apart from 4 years in "The North" at university and teacher training college), I had never heard of Sussex Charmer, nor Twineham Grange, Cheese.  I must look out for some.

Mick

Brilliant name for a cheese!

Second-hand car salesman, less so, but great for a seductive flavoursome cheese.

It is a great cheese, and relatively popular as it is sold in Sainsbury's!! In the Eastbourne branch at least. I had never heard of it before renting the office next door to them on the farm, at the time they were based in Arlington but moved out about the same time I did (c.4 years ago) and I believe they own the farm they are now on including the cattle that produce the milk for the cheese!

Both cheeses are safe to be posted as they do not need to be kept chilled (although I always do) so you can order some online for a try!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh they are, but they have equal sized legs, as there are no mountains in Norfolk. The Beeston Bump Haggis being long extinct. IIRC the last being killed by a golf ball hit by Prince Edward ( later Edward VII) in 1902

I worry about this as I had also thought of the highland free range Haggis with unequal length legs 

travel-tourism-scotland-scots-shoot-shoo

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Mick

I'm sure you have heard of Harvey's Best though (for the avoidance of doubt it's not cheese).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It is a great cheese, and relatively popular as it is sold in Sainsbury's!! In the Eastbourne branch at least. I had never heard of it before renting the office next door to them on the farm, at the time they were based in Arlington but moved out about the same time I did (c.4 years ago) and I believe they own the farm they are now on including the cattle that produce the milk for the cheese!

Both cheeses are safe to be posted as they do not need to be kept chilled (although I always do) so you can order some online for a try!!

Gary

I'll look out for that next time I visit my daughters. Apart from the Bank of Dad funding their week's shopping, I always buy myself a large Melton Mowbray pie.

• Like 5

Harvey's Old is the connoisseur's ale ......... I'm now imaging a glass of the same (drawn carefully; one small bubble in the corner of the glass), a decent slice of very rich fruit cake, and a chunk of Gary's cheese ....... What a combination that would make for that point where you come indoors after the bonfire on November 5th!

Old is hard to describe, sweet, but very hoppy at the same time, and it has the most pronounced iron flavour of any beer I've tasted.

K

PS: you can buy it bottled, but that is nothing whatsoever like the cask version, which certainly used to be sold from a small cask on the bar.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Harvey's Old is the connoisseur's ale ......... I'm now imaging a glass of the same (drawn carefully; one small bubble in the corner of the glass), a decent slice of very rich fruit cake, and a chunk of Gary's cheese ....... What a combination that would make for that point where you come indoors after the bonfire on November 5th!

Old is hard to describe, sweet, but very hoppy at the same time, and it has the most pronounced iron flavour of any beer I've tasted.

K

PS: you can buy it bottled, but that is nothing whatsoever like the cask version, which certainly used to be sold from a small cask on the bar.

Kevin, you're making my mouth water although I do prefer a bitter beer to a sweet one.

As you will well know, a taste of iron is most appropriate for Sussex. The late lamented King and Barnes, when it was made from Weald water, had a touch of that too as I recall.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Gary - good recommendation. There's a vineyard just up the road from you, too, so perhaps you can suggest a suitable wine to go with the cheese.

Kevin

I have a local Vineyard!? I shall have to check this out!! It would seem rude not to sample everything they have

K

That sounds like a good combination for most evenings if I am honest. I haven't had a Harvey's Old for many years, I may have to go and find some now!

Gary

• Like 6

Gary

I was thinking of this one https://www.hiddenspring.co.uk

But, there's one not far from Drussilla's, which IIRC has a shop that sells wines from other Sussex producers, one at Seddlescombe, one up on Ashdown Forest, near Duddleswell, and there are probably more. The wines used to be heavy, perfumey things, made using German grapes, but I think some of them now produce drier, lighter stuff, using French grapes.

East Sussex is, of course, next to West Sussex, where the Duke of NORFOLK (back on topic) lives.

Kevin

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Gary

I was thinking of this one https://www.hiddenspring.co.uk

But, there's one not far from Drussilla's, which IIRC has a shop that sells wines from other Sussex producers, one at Seddlescombe, one up on Ashdown Forest, near Duddleswell, and there are probably more. The wines used to be heavy, perfumey things, made using German grapes, but I think some of them now produce drier, lighter stuff, using French grapes.

East Sussex is, of course, next to West Sussex, where the Duke of NORFOLK (back on topic) lives.

Kevin

They look nice!! and they do tours with tasting of all their wine!!! Guess where I'm going!!!

There's Middle Farm shop a couple of miles west of Drusilla's, it's also the National Collection of Cider and Perry!

http://www.middlefarm.com

I've been to middle farm for Cider and Milk. Always buy local when I can.

Gary

• Like 3

The Cornish are French, that's how!

Well, actually they're Breton, whereas Seine-et-Marne is certainly in France, so, you're right, that doesn't work, unless of course we are simply all suitably cosmopolitan.

A thought to cling to in the dark days ahead ....

Hat ... coat ....

I understand, that Bretons  were Celtic immigrants to their current abode. The Breton language is very closely related to the (repressed by the English,)  Welsh language.

Whether folk tale or not, there are reports, that whilst marching to their positions, for the battle of Crecy, the Breton battalion was singing one of their folk songs and they were shocked to hear a Welsh regiment singing the same tune. As a consequence, they left the field of battle, to avoid hurting their relations.

As in Wales, Brittany adds their own, ancient language, to many road signs, it is amazing just how many  towns have Breton names which are very similar to Welsh ones.

Sorry to have spoiled the flow of your interesting Topic, I should have quoted from the post on page 146 relating to the Bretons being Cornish!

The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.

Terry Pratchett— from Moving Pictures

Edited by Les le Breton
  • Like 2

the Breton battalion ... left the field of battle, to avoid hurting their relations.

Good story but, given the Welsh longbowmen, it was probably also a most wise decision!

But I stand by my earlier comments.  According to Wiki, the font of all knowledge "Ethnically, along with the Cornish and Welsh, the Bretons are Celtic Britons".

Here are some apparent linguistic similarities between Cornish and Breton: http://www.cornwallinfocus.co.uk/language/cornish-breton.php

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I understand, that Bretons  were Celtic immigrants to their current abode. The Breton language is very closely related to the (repressed by the English,)  Welsh language.

Whether folk tale or not, there are reports, that whilst marching to their positions, for the battle of Crecy, the Breton battalion was singing one of their folk songs and they were shocked to hear a Welsh regiment singing the same tune. As a consequence, they left the field of battle, to avoid hurting their relations.

As in Wales, Brittany adds their own, ancient language, to many road signs, it is amazing just how many  towns have Breton names which are very similar to Welsh ones.

Sorry to have spoiled the flow of your interesting Topic, I should have quoted from the post on page 146 relating to the Bretons being Cornish!

The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.

Terry Pratchett— from Moving Pictures

I think it was the Normans that didn't like the Welsh. Having subjugated the Saxons in England they were not to happy with the Welsh (and Scots) being outside their rule and built castles all over the country to hold the land once any Welsh army had been defeated.

Don

Good story but, given the Welsh longbowmen, it was probably also a most wise decision!

But I stand by my earlier comments.  According to Wiki, the font of all knowledge "Ethnically, along with the Cornish and Welsh, the Bretons are Celtic Britons".

Here are some apparent linguistic similarities between Cornish and Breton: http://www.cornwallinfocus.co.uk/language/cornish-breton.php

You are so right Edwardian, what a wonderful conformation that we are all mongrels and we should be proud of it. After further research I have discovered the following history.

The Brythonic Celts arrived in the British Isles from Central Europe in about 250 BC, settling mainly in the southern half of Great Britain. Soon after, some of them spread to Scotland and the north-western part of what is now France.

The Goidelic Celts, arriving a hundred years or so earlier, had made what is now Ireland their own, and centuries later they migrated on an expansive scale to Scotland and the Isle of Man.

The history of migrating peoples is never quite as neat as it seems, of course. The landscape of South Wales is enriched by Ogham stones left by Goidelic- or Irish-speaking Celts in post-Roman times. There are therefore, two related but distinct groups, Goidelic and Brythonic Celts.

Brythonic was to become Welsh, Breton, Cornish and the more or less extinct Cumbric.

Much basic vocabulary, syntax and grammar is the same amongst the Brythonic Celts; more so than with their Goidelic Celt cousins, the Irish, Scots Gaelic and Manx speakers. The Brythonic Celts even have the same National Anthems too, only the words have been supplied in the appropriate language (from the original Cymraeg).

I thoroughly enjoy the erudite gems that Castle Aching publishes amongst the railway tracks. So returning to the RMweb raison d’etre I have a couple of pictures of a railway created by a great friend.

post-18891-0-49986700-1495192825_thumb.jpg

Plumelec Station, sadly closed.

post-18891-0-50312700-1495192946_thumb.jpg

Trains through the picturesque commune of Lizio

post-18891-0-95691600-1495193039_thumb.jpg

French style water tank.

Edited by Les le Breton
  • Like 4

You are so right Edwardian, what a wonderful conformation that we are all mongrels and we should be proud of it. After further research I have discovered the following history.

The Brythonic Celts arrived in the British Isles from Central Europe in about 250 BC, settling mainly in the southern half of Great Britain. Soon after, some of them spread to Scotland and the north-western part of what is now France.

The Goidelic Celts, arriving a hundred years or so earlier, had made what is now Ireland their own, and centuries later they migrated on an expansive scale to Scotland and the Isle of Man.

The history of migrating peoples is never quite as neat as it seems, of course. The landscape of South Wales is enriched by Ogham stones left by Goidelic- or Irish-speaking Celts in post-Roman times. There are therefore, two related but distinct groups, Goidelic and Brythonic Celts.

Brythonic was to become Welsh, Breton, Cornish and the more or less extinct Cumbric.

Much basic vocabulary, syntax and grammar is the same amongst the Brythonic Celts; more so than with their Goidelic Celt cousins, the Irish, Scots Gaelic and Manx speakers. The Brythonic Celts even have the same National Anthems too, only the words have been supplied in the appropriate language (from the original Cymraeg).

I thoroughly enjoy the erudite gems that Castle Aching publishes amongst the railway tracks. So returning to the RMweb raison d’etre I have a couple of pictures of a railway created by a great friend.

attachicon.gifLizio layout (4).JPG

attachicon.gifLizio layout (5).JPG

attachicon.gifLizio layout (7).JPG

French style water tank.

The must have ended up in Newcastle then, and became "reet proparr Geordie lads"

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can assure you dear readers that Caerphilly cheese is now made again in Wales after a long exile.

And picking up the other thread we have two vineyards near Newtown in mid Wales.

And thank you for the thread on sheep.

On the fourth recent topic (why stick to railways when there are so many fascinating facets of the world to discuss?), my understanding is that the Bretons went there from Wales. Certainly the languages are very similar. When I was young in Cardiff we used to get Breton onion sellers (complete with bikes) door to door. Children who had learned more Welsh in school than I had could converse with them.

Thank you for the explanation of the two branches of Celts. I had heard of P and Q Celts but had never sorted the matter out.

Of course, like most history, there is nothing simple about the history of the Celtic nations. We have little early written history about the Welsh and much of what we have was written some time after the event and to make a point or support a lineage so is not to be trusted. I am reading a book at the moment which expresses doubt that either of the two individuals usually credited with being the earliest Welsh princes actually existed at all.

All of which makes it much easier, of course, to bend history a little to suit us and give the appropriate background for our railways.

Finally, in view of the discussion of the finer points of ale, perhaps the assembled team should be putting in a bulk order for Harburn Hamlet item item FL141.- http://www.harburnhobbies.co.uk/acatalog/Freight---Lineside.html

No connection, even as a satisfied customer.

Jonathan

• Like 3

On the fourth recent topic (why stick to railways when there are so many fascinating facets of the world to discuss?), my understanding is that the Bretons went there from Wales. Certainly the languages are very similar. When I was young in Cardiff we used to get Breton onion sellers (complete with bikes) door to door. Children who had learned more Welsh in school than I had could converse with them.

Jonathan

There used to be a French (maybe not Breton despite the striped T-shirt, and beret) onion seller who was a regular visitor to Kensington in the '70s. We managed to converse as we both spoke fluent Franglais.

Richard

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

K

An illustration of the manufacturer of said 'Old',

post-14351-0-84912900-1495221370_thumb.jpg

the possible source of the iron in the brew - or am I showing the wrong sort of barrel -

post-14351-0-22149300-1495221360_thumb.jpg

by the sound of this ale it probably doesn't need much advertising but the next shot from the Lewes Town Museum might entice you into a suitable hostelry, although it looks more like wine that is being hawked

post-14351-0-64351400-1495221346_thumb.jpg

and finally one needs to be properly equipt before entering said hostelry to savour such delights

post-14351-0-87500000-1495221373_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

I make quite frequent trips to the brewery to buy a new supply of their ales - they do a great selection.  My own favourite is probably The Kiss, named after Rodin's sculpture, which was first brewed in 1999 to celebrate the return of Rodin’s famous sculpture to Lewes (from where it was commissioned) for a summer-long exhibition.

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hitch hiking from Brussels to Amsterdam I was given a lift by a Breton lorry driver. His Breton sprinkled french and my schoolboy french had very little in common.

Don

• Like 2

attachicon.gifLizio layout (4).JPG

attachicon.gifLizio layout (5).JPG

attachicon.gifLizio layout (7).JPG

French style water tank.

Your friend is very talented, and his is a charming line. Thank you for posting.

An illustration of the manufacturer of said 'Old',

attachicon.gifHarvey's Brewery Lewes 21 1 2006.jpg

the possible source of the iron in the brew - or am I showing the wrong sort of barrel -

attachicon.gifGun barrel borer Lewes Gallery Anne of Cleves House Lewes 23 7 2014.jpg

by the sound of this ale it probably doesn't need much advertising but the next shot from the Lewes Town Museum might entice you into a suitable hostelry, although it looks more like wine that is being hawked

attachicon.gifA pub sign perhaps Lewes Gallery Anne of Cleves House Lewes 23 7 2014.jpg

and finally one needs to be properly equipt before entering said hostelry to savour such delights

attachicon.gifLoony Lewes Day 28 7 2010.jpg

I like breweries, particularly the smaller town breweries.

One of my absolute favourites is in Stamford

• Like 3