That chap from Paltry Circus got around a bit.....

attachicon.gifPyramid Tomb s.jpg

Always wondered who concocted this!

Actually, it's William Mackenzie's pyramidal tomb on Rodney Street, Liverpool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Mackenzie_(contractor)

A civil engineer, who built both canals and railways.

Well, we have this one in Attleborough (next town over from Great Ellingham) for the guy who founded the town library:

post-33750-0-56121300-1523135193.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Sigh......

Back to bicycles again?

attachicon.gifPrimitive Tandem.jpg

This poor girl looks petrified - I fear the answer would be NO!

She got her own back a little later - as reenacted in Brighton many years later. No crumple zone on this machine! That sharp left onto Madeira Drive! The sea was straight ahead!

post-14351-0-68036100-1523138484_thumb.jpg

Sadly she lost her nerve at the last minute and he survived - as did she - although something of a basket case!

post-14351-0-76332800-1523138982_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

She got her own back a little later - as reenacted in Brighton many years later. No crumple zone on this machine! That sharp left onto Madeira Drive! The sea was straight ahead!

attachicon.gif1898 Leon Bollee tandem two-seater BS 8151.jpg

Sadly she lost her nerve at the last minute and he survived - as did she - although something of a basket case!

attachicon.gif1904 Phoenix Trimo basket forecar A 9225.jpg

"And how did your legs get broken Ms. Johnson?"

• RMweb Premium

Off to work?

An early example of the gig economy.

Nice try but that's a dog cart. Here is noted late Victorian/Edwardian actress Mrs Lewis Waller, aka Florence West, in a gig:

64-1-im-Right_hand_image-9979.jpg

The term gig is supposedly derived from an eighteenth-century term for a flighty girl and could denote anything that is dangerous or unpredictable, neatly combining both Mrs Lewis and the modern usage of the term.

The key point here is that a gig has a single bench seat facing forward, fine for young gentlemen courting ladies or otherwise but no room for one's guns and dogs when about more serious pursuits. That's where the dog cart comes in - the extra backward-facing seat has a dog box underneath; one's man could sit on the back seat, I suppose, or if one was tolerant of muddy paws, the dog can hop up. At a pinch, it could also be used by younger family members, as demonstrated by Miss Tabitha.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium

There was a Shropshire “character”, Squire Jack Mytton, known to his friends as “Mad Jack”. He was out driving fast with one in his gig one day, and his friend asked him to ease off. Jack asked him he’d ever been hurt by being upset in a gig, and his friend replied thankfully he hadn’t, as he’d never been upset in one. Jackreplied “never upset in a gig? What a d—d slow fellow you must have been all your life!” and promptly ran one wheel up the bank, tipping it over.post-26540-0-34779900-1523529319_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

A short despatch, merely to reassure any interested parties of my continuing wellbeing.

The pursuit of Mr 0’Doolight, the McGibbon Twins, and, perhaps, although it is still not possible to say with certainty, through them the elusive Missenden eventually took me to Birmingham, where I have spent much of the week in a rather mean and uncomfortable hotel, no great distance from the GWR station, cloistered with a group of confederates, and subsisting on not a great deal more than lime juice cordial and wafers.

More will follow.

post-26817-0-53961400-1523633955_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

Mr N. Earholmer,

I send this to Castle Aching, as this was your last reported address, but I have heard rumour that you are indeed elsewhere. As such, should I direct my messaging to Castle Aching, or to a place known as 'Literary Corner' amongst pre-groupers?

Missenden

Mr N. Earholmer,

I send this to Castle Aching, as this was your last reported address, but I have heard rumour that you are indeed elsewhere. As such, should I direct my messaging to Castle Aching, or to a place known as 'Literary Corner' amongst pre-groupers?

Missenden

Missenden, Old Chap, "messaging" ain't a verb, don't y'know, what?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Missenden, Old Chap, "messaging" ain't a verb, don't y'know, what?

That would be a gerund.

However, it should be a noun, so the simple “message” would have sufficed.

Ah, I was wondering who would spot that...

It’s not so much who would spot it, as who would speak out about it...

‘The Emperor is somewhat naked, dear chap.’

• Like 4

That would be a gerund.

However, it should be a noun, so the simple “message” would have sufficed.

It’s not so much who would spot it, as who would speak out about it...

‘The Emperor is somewhat naked, dear chap.’

Like the poor cat i' the adage..... 

Ah, a line from 'Stepney' or 'The Sussex Play' as some refer to it.

I believe it comes from Act 1, Scene 7.

I do, however, think that you meant to say:

Like the poor Well Tank i' the adage...

Stepney's wife (Birch Grove) says this when Stepney is thinking he might not scrap 6023 at his Sheffield Park home when the King comes to visit for a gala.

The adage refers to a Beattie Well tank that would not travel up the Wenfordbridge branch to collect some China Clay wagons, and as such could not earn its living and was scrapped, leaving only two to be preserved.

The cat adage that you were referring to, I think, refers to a Cat that would not allow its paws to get wet when wanting fish, and soon perished through starvation.

Edited by sem34090

No, Pandora is  a box, an electric one. On wheels.

27006-L.jpg

She's also a rather handsome Hunslet 4ft Gauge 0-6-0T, for which I have done CAD...

padarn%20railway%20locos.jpg

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 8

Yeah, but you don’t know if the cats alive wiv wet paws, or dead wiv dry paws, cos it’s in a box, innit??

Or ruddy furious because its been locked up in this imaginary box......

As for the extension to Pandora, may I just invite the Parish Council to extrapolate Medusas Hair.

Or perhaps not.....

• Like 1

How many miles are we from Castle Aching now? And which Pandora? Neither of them appeared to have cats with them, but the one somewhere between Sheffield and Manchester is more likely to have produced a dead cat, what with it being an electric box and all, whilst the one somewhere between Llanberis and Port Dinorwic is more likely to have a live cat fed on titbits from the crew. Or it'd also be a dead cat, crushed by slate wagons hurtling down an incline on top of it...