If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Those of you who remember Mr O'Doolight will be heartened to learn that he called-in on me briefly today, a visit prompted by the appearance of Greek in CA. His late mother was, of course, Greek.

He doesn't speak or read the language, but is ever hopeful of the favour of a further commission from the Directors of the WNR.

Indeed, such is the parlous state of the pyramid business of late that he is almost desperate for employ. He tells me that the premises of the Metropolitan Pyramid Company have been partly turned-over to the storing of empty gin bottles, on behalf of a well know distillery, with continuing business confined almost entirely to maintenance of existing pyramids, rather than the construction of new ones.

Correspondence will reach him through either the MPCo works at Paltry Circus, or The Shepherds Port Grand Hotel. He collects post from both places on a weekly basis, but was somewhat evasive about his actual place of residence. From the shabbiness of his attire, and his generally unkempt look, I am forced to consider the possibility that he is leading an even more itinerant existence than hitherto, perhaps being a perpetual commuter in third class compartments of stopping trains.

Those of you who remember Mr O'Doolight will be heartened to learn that he called-in on me briefly today, a visit prompted by the appearance of Greek in CA. His late mother was, of course, Greek.

He doesn't speak or read the language, but is ever hopeful of the favour of a further commission from the Directors of the WNR.

Indeed, such is the parlous state of the pyramid business of late that he is almost desperate for employ. He tells me that the premises of the Metropolitan Pyramid Company have been partly turned-over to the storing of empty gin bottles, on behalf of a well know distillery, with continuing business confined almost entirely to maintenance of existing pyramids, rather than the construction of new ones.

Correspondence will reach him through either the MPCo works at Paltry Circus, or The Shepherds Port Grand Hotel. He collects post from both places on a weekly basis, but was somewhat evasive about his actual place of residence. From the shabbiness of his attire, and his generally unkempt look, I am forced to consider the possibility that he is leading an even more itinerant existence than hitherto, perhaps being a perpetual commuter in third class compartments of stopping trains.

Eustace Mis-Senden

West Norfolk Railway Co. Ltd

Achingham Town Station Offices

Station Road

Achingham

Norfolk

Mr O'Doolight,

Whilst we do, of course, hear of your current affairs with great regret, this company cannot, unfortunately take on your good self in employment.

The reasoning behind this, possibly harsh, decision by the board of directors is based on our previous experiences of products manufactured at your Paltry Circus works in South London, namely the platform structures at Wolfringham, the Yard Office here at Achingham and the signal box controlling access to the Bishop's Lyn tramway have proven to be somewhat unsatisfactory to the extent of being entirely unfit for purpose. The pyramid shape is decidedly unsuitable for use in railway buildings, and this is no more present than in the aforementioned signalbox. Indeed, the company is frequently finding complaints from signalmen relating to, as one has put it and I quote "Oi bang'd me 'ead, so Oi ded". The shape has also caused the entire roof of the 'box' to be made almost entirely of glass. This is most troublesome, as the building proves to be very well chilled in the winter and akin to a greenhouse in the summer season.

Other products sold by your company have also proven to be troublesome. A petrol-powered railcar supplied early this year has yet to see more than thirty minutes in passenger service due to complaints and mechanical failings.

Despite all of this, however, the company is willing to provide you with a permanent place of residence. The accommodation available to you is situated here in Achingham near to the locomotive workshops. The lavatorial facilities here were recently improved and resited to the new offices here on Station Road. As such you are more than welcome to take on the, now disused, wooden Urinal building  as your own.

Kindest Regards,

Eustace Missenden, Secondary Locomotive Draughtsman and Tea-Maker - West Norfolk Railway Company

Edwardian Rectors were generally extremely well-educated though not necessarily well-trained for their nominal job. 

Eh?  They were taught to ride a bicycle, weren't they?

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a Rector, being in possession of a good living, must be in want of a step-through frame* bicycle.

*Because his cassock, you know.......

• Like 4

Eustace Mis-Senden

Station Road

Achingham

NorfolkMr O'Doolight,

Whilst we do, of course, hear of your current affairs with great regret, this company cannot, unfortunately take on your good self in employment.

The reasoning behind this, possibly harsh, decision by the board of directors is based on our previous experiences of products manufactured at your Paltry Circus works in South London, namely the platform structures at Wolfringham, the Yard Office here at Achingham and the signal box controlling access to the Bishop's Lyn tramway have proven to be somewhat unsatisfactory to the extent of being entirely unfit for purpose. The pyramid shape is decidedly unsuitable for use in railway buildings, and this is no more present than in the aforementioned signalbox. Indeed, the company is frequently finding complaints from signalmen relating to, as one has put it and I quote "Oi bang'd me 'ead, so Oi ded". The shape has also caused the entire roof of the 'box' to be made almost entirely of glass. This is most troublesome, as the building proves to be very well chilled in the winter and akin to a greenhouse in the summer season.

Other products sold by your company have also proven to be troublesome. A petrol-powered railcar supplied early this year has yet to see more than thirty minutes in passenger service due to complaints and mechanical failings.

Despite all of this, however, the company is willing to provide you with a permanent place of residence. The accommodation available to you is situated here in Achingham near to the locomotive workshops. The lavatorial facilities here were recently improved and resited to the new offices here on Station Road. As such you are more than welcome to take on the, now disused, wooden Urinal building as your own.

Kindest Regards,

Eustace Missenden, Secondary Locomotive Draughtsman and Tea-Maker - West Norfolk Railway Company

David Bradleigh

Kelsby Light Railway Co. Ltd

Hewe Manor

Manor Road

Hewe

Telham

Ely

Cambridgeshire

Mr O'Doolight,

We here at the Kelsby Light Railway would however be willing to take you on in assisting with the construction of a station at Elmtree Heath. With so many of the other railwaymen laughing at us and the GER breathing down our necks we could use all the help we can get.

Yours sincerely,

Col. David Bradleigh, CBE, 2nd. Baronet Bradleigh, CEO and CME of the Kelsby Light Railway Co. Ltd.

P.S: Also remind Mr. Mis-Senden that he still owes me for the card game we played when I visited the WNR last month.

(I seriously hope I've got my timeline right)

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 4

Eustace Mis-Senden
Station Road
Achingham
Norfolk

Baronet Bradleigh,

I have been informed by my special agents operating throughout Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and the County-to-which-one-durst-not-go that you have been sending correspondence to and have been receiving the same from a Mr O'Doolight, a one-time resident of the London Borough of Paltry. Whilst I appreciate your requirements for a civil engineer, may I warn you that both Mr O'Doolight and his company are not to be trusted with the construction of railway buildings. The structures erected at Wolfringham are not only unfit for purpose on account of their shape, but on account of their poor construction from London Brick. The buildings have proven to be a liability for the company, and should you be determined to have pyramid structures erected at Elmtree Heath the West Norfolk company hereby offer you the structures free from all charges, besides those for removal. Indeed, the company may even be willing to pay these on the behalf of the KLR.

On the grounds that the following remains unrecorded besides in this letter, I hereby offer my draughtsmanship services to the Kelsby Light Railway, free from all charges. I wish this to remain unrecorded for fear of causing upset and inconvenience for my current employer (and his association with the Great Eastern company). Whilst I may struggle with structures for your company, I am more than willing to attempt their drawing up. I also offer my services to your locomotive department.

Kindest Regards,

Eustace Missenden

• RMweb Premium

It’s a strange coinkydink, with all this Greek flying round, that I was viewing an artwork today (me, art gallery? honest, guv) and my mind immediately turned to the CA thread. So your preraphaelite for today, by Michele Tedesco, entitled “ A Pythagorean school is invaded by Sybarites” (you can’t make this up!)post-26540-0-22660800-1522945823_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

It’s a strange coinkydink, with all this Greek flying round, that I was viewing an artwork today (me, art gallery? honest, guv) and my mind immediately turned to the CA thread. So your preraphaelite for today, by Michele Tedesco, entitled “ A Pythagorean school is invaded by Sybarites” (you can’t make this up!)attachicon.gif2DC99B40-FE5C-44FF-84A0-4D270D12CF23.jpeg

"Corr! Look at the square on that hypotenuse!"

• RMweb Premium

If you're going to have cyclists in and around Castle Aching the local hostelry might need one of these on an outside wall.

http://www.wingedwheels.info

kiSePba.jpg

Reading the link &c., it's unclear if these signs were in use by 1905 - if they were, they'd be very new. But as Norfolk is well known to be flat and hence good cycling country (!) maybe it was early in the game.

“ A Pythagorean school is invaded by Sybarites” (you can’t make this up!)

There for the beans, I expect.

• RMweb Premium

That squire on the hypotenuse is equal to the sons of the squires opposite!

Corrected for you.. :)

If you're going to have cyclists in and around Castle Aching the local hostelry might need one of these on an outside wall.

http://www.wingedwheels.info

kiSePba.jpg

What a brilliant idea, thanks, Annie.  I had no idea about these.

It seems that the circular plaques were certainly in circulation well before 1905:

The Cyclists’ Touring Club .. was founded in 1878. Cast iron plaques of the Winged Wheel that the club distributed over 110 years ago to designate approved inns and hotels still remain on many buildings across the country. The two foot diameter plaques ...

It seems they were commonly found on both hostelries and the growing number of cycle shops.  This is reflected by the different superscriptions found on the plaques.

A number of the photographs on the site could certainly date from before 1905.  The one with the sign dangling from the portico is dated 1900.  I do like the bicycle shop in Conway, and the mounted gentlemen represent a Norfolk entry; Wells Next The Sea.

post-25673-0-15711600-1522947768.jpg

post-25673-0-56626900-1522947802.jpg

post-25673-0-36599600-1522947837.jpg

post-25673-0-72943200-1522947879.jpg

post-25673-0-23083600-1522947919.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Excellent. I'd just found that "over 110 years ago" simultaneously too precise (implying not long before 1908) and frustratingly vague.

Personally I find that 'vague' is a good thing when it comes to the pre-group era.  sc4ViDY.png

• Like 1