• RMweb Gold

Going by the "cheddar cheese" that they sell in their English shops, its also for when you run short of heavily salted candle-wax.

In France, their shops sell perfectly edible, in fact pretty good, cheese, so I think we are being discriminated against.

Only because they know that if they tried selling rubbish to the French, their shops would soon be a smouldering pile of rubble, but over here we tend to politely put up with substandard rubbish...

• RMweb Premium

Going by the "cheddar cheese" that they sell in their English shops, its also for when you run short of heavily salted candle-wax.

In France, their shops sell perfectly edible, in fact pretty good, cheese, so I think we are being discriminated against.

Not sure if you are talking about A or L.  If it is Aldi, then you need to be aware that the UK and French arms of the business are managed by different groups.

When the original owner died (Albrecht of Albrecht DIstribution) the organisation was split between two sons who set up Aldi Nord (signage of white Aldi on a blue ground) and Aldi Sud (signage of gold Aldi on blue ground).  They have between them split up their world to minimise competition.  In Germany as the names suggest the North is taken buy one arm, the South by another.  In France Aldi Nord has taken the network of stores, in the UK Aldi Sud is the managing group.

Personally I have found Sud to be better than Nord overall - which is immaterial given that Lidl is the closest store of them all here in France profonde. 

• RMweb Premium

Wife's best friend from 'Cevendish Gremer Skool fer Gels', Bexton ( chairman of Governors the Duke of Devonshire) was the landlord's daughter of the Light Railway Hotel, Hulme End - actually in Staffordshire as were a lot of Buxton's 'scholar'.catchment area, including also the Cheshire highlands..

They went to Coventry Training College togerher (now Warwick Univ), by which time best friend's family ran the Wetton Mill tea rooms  - in the right background of Hamilton Ellis's carriage painting above.

I used to go potholing around the Manifold area with a friend on a tandem and tea at Wetton Mill was a good reviver before a hard pedal home.

The friend now lves near Waterfall - a good motorway stop for lunch with Leek oatcakes (her brother-in-law, now a shepherd, used to work on the Cromford line at Friden, though I find his yarns very difficult to understand).

dh

Potholing on a tandem? The mind boggles.

Victorian/Edwardian cheeses......

Although written in 1889, Jerome K Jeromes digression on Cheese and Transport is well worth considering.

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/jerome/jerome_k/three/chapter4.html

Personally, I view it as a vile calumny on the Noble Cheshire Cheese!

On todays roads, potholing on any wheeled vehicle is quite common! 

• Like 2

I've been away for 48 hours supervising foundations being dug in front of garages and rain-proofing raw sheds and I come back to this.

The CA thread is like an intense soap opera with no plot and Terry Gilliam and Pablo Picasso writing the script. Unless you are glued to your keyboard 24/7, even the shortest break leaves you in utter confusion.

I shall give up trying to follow it and take up the surfers guide to internet threads which is to just catch the next good wave and try to ride it.

EDIT: BTW that was all written in good humour but after 3x G&Ts so please accept my apologies if any of that came across as anything less that bemused supportive good nature.

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 4

So, in part at least, "it was the railways wot dun it" in terms of killing-off traditional cheese here.

Relates to something I read recently about the development of electrified rural light railways (bear with me, this is relevant) around Limoges. Technically very advanced light railways, built c1910, which cut travel time from 'the outback' to the city markets from 3 days to 3 hours, allowing all sorts of interesting cheeses and wines, that had never had an audience of more than a village population before, to get to town. In that case, though, things, thankfully, seem not to have progressed much further; the very localised cheeses and the wines, and weird liqueurs flavoured with various nuts, survived.

• Like 3

Time to move on to a discussion of Edwardian cheese? This article explains succinctly how the different pace of industrialisation in Britain and France affected their cheeses.

Excellent find.

Apropos this passage

Suddenly, using the railway network, it was possible to get milk into the cities quickly and cheaply, to feed the masses working in the mills and factories. No longer was there a need to go through the effort of making and ageing cheese so that milk could be transformed into a longer-lasting stable product able to be transported. Britain became a milk-drinking nation and the amount of cheese eaten by Britons started its long decline

I have posted before on Wensleydale and how the cheese was a product, well into the railway age, of the relatively isolated dale that could not get its milk out to the wider market.  When the railway came, late in the Nineteenth Century, to the Dale, it killed the cheese.  A dedicated bottling plant was established at Northallerton, where the line reached the ECML, and the Dale's entire milk out put was devoted to export to London.

Yet, by the Edwardian period they had realised that there was an external market for the Dale's cheese.  Quite how the creamery cheeses since produced, and produced to this day, in the Dale differ from the pre-railway farmhouse cheeses is another matter, but the railway did allow some local cheeses to prosper and to be available nationally.

As to

At the same time, factories in the cities started to use leftover milk to make standardised cheese on a large commercial scale (the first factory to do so in 1870).

that is a nastiness still with us!  

• Like 3

According to Barry Cryer on the most recent series of ISIHAC, Aldi is for when Lidl is too expensive...

...my brother is a manager for Aldi so I'll keep my mouth shut...

Excellent find.

Apropos this passage

Suddenly, using the railway network, it was possible to get milk into the cities quickly and cheaply, to feed the masses working in the mills and factories. No longer was there a need to go through the effort of making and ageing cheese so that milk could be transformed into a longer-lasting stable product able to be transported. Britain became a milk-drinking nation and the amount of cheese eaten by Britons started its long decline

I have posted before on Wensleydale and how the cheese was a product, well into the railway age, of the relatively isolated dale that could not get its milk out to the wider market. When the railway came, late in the Nineteenth Century, to the Dale, it killed the cheese. A dedicated bottling plant was established at Northallerton, where the line reached the ECML, and the Dale's entire milk out put was devoted to export to London.

Yet, by the Edwardian period they had realised that there was an external market for the Dale's cheese. Quite how the creamery cheeses since produced, and produced to this day, in the Dale differ from the pre-railway farmhouse cheeses is another matter, but the railway did allow some local cheeses to prosper and to be available nationally.

As to

At the same time, factories in the cities started to use leftover milk to make standardised cheese on a large commercial scale (the first factory to do so in 1870).

that is a nastiness still with us!

Unfortunately yes. Speaking as a cheese enthusiast rather than a railway enthusiast for a bit I think this is a crying shame.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

I'd like to link posting on cheese making back to the Manifold Valley L R and (here's the OT bit) to the pre-railway Great North Road.

What is the truth about the origins of Blue Stilton?

dh

Edit

a propos the preceding post: There is nothing to be ashamed about in working for Aldi - reputedly the only 'real jobs' these days in grocery.

Edited by runs as required

Inspiration from Argos

attachicon.gifcrampton tank.jpg

Look what you have made me do, tempting me with pictures of that glorious but tiny Crampton tank. So I was inspired to do something with this 3mm scale Crampton static display model, bodge and bash it into a 4mm tank. Light loco for a branch line. So a weekend has given me this, I cut the corners off the tender and glued them together to make a bunker. It seems to look better with the center wheels taken out . To regauge it I've pushed the plastic wheel out to the ends of their wire axles so they will roll on 00 track. The sides of the splashers need Dremilling away to give just that extra bit of sideways clearance then perhaps I can make it into a free running model, with metal wheels and power it by a motor bogie in a van?

attachicon.gifP1010095a.JPG

Oh crumbs its just occurred to me that I've had one of those static Cramptons gracing my bookshelf for the last few years ripe for conversion...

And now for something completely different post-29975-0-07942800-1538219680.png

• Like 7

I'd like to link posting on cheese making back to the Manifold Valley L R and (here's the OT bit) to the pre-railway Great North Road.

What is the truth about the origins of Blue Stilton?

dh

Edit

a propos the preceding post: There is nothing to be ashamed about in working for Aldi - reputedly the only 'real jobs' these days in grocery.

Well, as I understand it, Stilton was traditionally made in Leicestershire and into Nottinghamshire.  One of the best is made in, IIRC, Derbyshire, the producer having moved there from Leicestershire looking for the right conditions after his original herd fell foul of a cattle blight.

Stilton was a point if sale. 

Oh crumbs its just occurred to me that I've had one of those static Cramptons gracing my bookshelf for the last few years ripe for conversion...

And now for something completely different attachicon.gifIMG_20180929_120057.png

A true Victorian scene if I'm not mistaken.

Either that or Sir Harry let the Duchess choose the plans for the Ankh-Morpork terminus of the AM&SPHR

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you think we have had a bad time with our cheeses, you had better not try cheese when across the pond. A discussion with an American friend as to why they ate processed cheese led to the response that real cheese was too expensive. Now one can buy expensive cheese - some of that in the market in Shrewsbury is £40 a kilo, but perfectly respectable locally produced Shropshire Blue, Red Cheshire etc is not much more then half that price. But apparently even mass produced cheddar is "too expensive".

Incidentally, Shrewsbury market was recently voted best in the country. There is a greengrocer who sells all sorts of strange fruit and vegetables, mostly ones he has grown himself, a butcher which sells things like pheasant, partridge, guinea fowl, rabbit etc, and this cheese stall with what must be over 30 varieties of British cheese, mostly from local producers.

It does make visits to Shrewsbury a bit expensive though.

Not sure how to link this back to CA unless the town entered the competition for best market in Britain.

And that station shown above, please tell us where it was. It makes our own "ecclesiastical" style stations seem rather plain.

Jonathan

• Like 5

If you think we have had a bad time with our cheeses, you had better not try cheese when across the pond. A discussion with an American friend as to why they ate processed cheese led to the response that real cheese was too expensive. Now one can buy expensive cheese - some of that in the market in Shrewsbury is £40 a kilo, but perfectly respectable locally produced Shropshire Blue, Red Cheshire etc is not much more then half that price. But apparently even mass produced cheddar is "too expensive".

Incidentally, Shrewsbury market was recently voted best in the country. There is a greengrocer who sells all sorts of strange fruit and vegetables, mostly ones he has grown himself, a butcher which sells things like pheasant, partridge, guinea fowl, rabbit etc, and this cheese stall with what must be over 30 varieties of British cheese, mostly from local producers.

Not sure how to link this back to CA unless the town entered the competition for best market in Britain.

And that station shown above, please tell us where it was. It makes our own "ecclesiastical" style stations seem rather plain.

Jonathan

Rookwood Necropolis! EDIT:Haslem's Creek Cemetery station.  Not, I must admit, Victoria - I think NSW.  Antipodeans excuse Edwardian his ignorance!

In ration packs we used to have "Cheese, processed" in tins.  It was rancid, avoided and generally referred to as "Cheese, possessed".

You're quite right, Americans have some awful cheese.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Jonathan

One side of Nantwich market used to be rather nice cheese stalls, with much local product. 

Sadly, its a good while since I've been there, so I don't know how much is left (stalls not cheese!)

• RMweb Gold

I have posted before on Wensleydale and how the cheese was a product, well into the railway age, of the relatively isolated dale that could not get its milk out to the wider market. When the railway came, late in the Nineteenth Century, to the Dale, it killed the cheese. A dedicated bottling plant was established at Northallerton, where the line reached the ECML, and the Dale's entire milk out put was devoted to export to London.

Yet, by the Edwardian period they had realised that there was an external market for the Dale's cheese. Quite how the creamery cheeses since produced, and produced to this day, in the Dale differ from the pre-railway farmhouse cheeses is another matter, but the railway did allow some local cheeses to prosper and to be available nationally.

As to

I seem to recall being told by a school friend who's farther was a farmer in Wensleydale that it still illegal to produce Wensleydale cheese in Wensleydale.

This was punishment for supporting the Royalist side in the Civil War if I recall correctly.

I may be talking absolute arse though, it was along time ago I had this conversion!

• Like 2