• RMweb Gold

I always wondered what scale the Days Gone series were and it seems they were not to any fixed scale but appear to hover around 1:70 or 1:64. Those three figures certainly look good for 1:76 though.

Is the horse bus anything near 1:76th?

attachicon.gifLEDO Days Gone horse bus.jpg

They are more or less 1:64 scale.

Depends on how the driver scales.  If he's anything close to 1:76th then the bus looks about 50% undersized.

My assessment is that the horses and the people of the Lledo garden seat omnibus are noticeably over scale, and I suspect the rear wheels of the vehicle may be a tad too large. 

I suspect that the overall dimensions of the 'bus body itself are also over-scale, though I agree with you that the 'bus looks undersized compared with the figures.

Derek (Mr Kirtley) of this parish has nevertheless made a very creditable upgrade of the Lledo 'bus, which certainly looks the part on the layout (see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95552-midland-railway-in-em-gauge/?p=3250590 and picture below). 

In my picture I add a Norfolk Yeomanry officer converted from a nominally 1/72nd figure for scale.  He is thus on the tall side of scale, but not too big to mix it with the Staddens.  The height and heft of the 'bus conductor is a marked contrast.

Perhaps both the 'bus and the horse/people are over-scale, but the latter more so?

For comparison, a couple of pictures of real ones to help judge.

post-25673-0-85061000-1541954130_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-77147800-1541954178_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-86523200-1541954235_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-52219200-1541954257_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Maybe its me but on the Lledo link page brack kindly provided the horses look to have potential for the bigger breeds, especially if you can trim a bit off their hooves and the horse bus also looks reasonable as well, apart from oversize rear wheels. The Lledo page shows it in the same photo as a motor bus and that is clearly well under 1/76th scale. The conductor looks too chunky but the driver and passengers, while on the big side (look at the amount of model driver's figure showing above the bus front railing vs the two drivers in the real photos) seem to be closer in proportion. I think with some removal of height (hat and boot heels filed down a bit) the conductor could be made to look reasonable, though still a "big lad" for his time vs the average human male. Seated figures can always be subjected to cruel corrective surgery about the lower limbs and hips so these are always useful.

I'm going to have a look around on the Auction Site That Must Not Be Named to see if any of these come along.

What might one use for 1/76th scale reins? The finest brass wire you can find? Household thread would be much too coarse.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Too big.

Sorry, yes - taking your yeomanry office as 6ft to the top of his cap, around 20 hands. On the other hand, so to speak, the greys in your last photo look just as tall relative to the chap trotting alongside but perhaps he's on the small side.

People who rode on top of those things were brave types.

Last w/e we went to the Milton Keynes museum and, very unusually, were allowed to go onto the top deck of the W&SST bogie trailer. B terrifying, even when stationary! It’s a very tall thin vehicle, and what isn’t apparent from the ground is that the top deck balustrades (modesty panels?) are only about 30” high, the roof low, and the floor at strange angles to create space to walk down the centre of the lower deck, so that one must stoop and stumble, with backside poking out into space. How anyone survived using these things on the move, I’ve no idea!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They are more or less 1:64 scale.

How are the horses for size?

Too big.

Sorry, yes - taking your yeomanry office as 6ft to the top of his cap, around 20 hands. On the other hand, so to speak, the greys in your last photo look just as tall relative to the chap trotting alongside but perhaps he's on the small side.

Did I say that the Lledo “Days Gone” series models are S Scale?

Oh yes, so I did.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

They're better than you'd think!

I like the way the driver of the pantechnicon can control his team by telepathy.  He certainly looks as if he's making an effort...

Today I have been thinking of my Grandfather who served in the Great War. He was missing presumed killed before they found him in a coma in a french field hospital. Badly injured with the loss of sight in one eye he was lucky to be invalided out. After the war he found difficulty in getting jobs. He had been a dockhand but the system was you turned up hoping to be taken on by a chargehand, with reduced dock work he often was unselected. So he looked elsewhere but these were difficult times. He went for a job to drive a cart and four and being desperate lied saying he had done so in the war. He was taken on and said it was a blessing that the lead horse knew the delivery routes. He said he was only holding the reins to look good. Not so far from your telepathic driving.

We shared a house with my grandparents and I learned a lot from Grandad. A practical self taught man he taught me not to be afraid of having a go at anything and to be self reliant.

Don

Oh yes, so I did.

Are they all? I haven't come across a list of scales, but the corresponding list of matchbox model scales is all over the place - between 1:38 and 1:130 depending on the model.

• RMweb Gold

Are they all? I haven't come across a list of scales, but the corresponding list of matchbox model scales is all over the place - between 1:38 and 1:130 depending on the model.

Mostly, yes - particularly the ones being discussed as too big for 4mm scale.

Which is because they are to a slightly bigger scale.

Mostly, yes - particularly the ones being discussed as too big for 4mm scale.

Which is because they are to a slightly bigger scale.

Fair enough, at least it gives the s scale folk something other than siku.

As a narrow gauge modeller I've looked at various scales to fit available tracks to gauges, I tend to come to my senses and return to recognised scales because its harder to scratch build vehicles and figures than it is to make a chassis or pull wheels out.

• Like 1

Oh yes, so I did.

They are plainly in a variety of scales. Whilst generally larger than 1/76, they can't all be S Scale!

How are the horses for size?

Having said that, the same horse is used for several horse-drawn vehicles, regardless of any other indicators of the intended scale, and they are clearly not all the same scale, and neither are the accompanying figures.  Maybe the horses are S Scale.

I judge them to be too big. EDIT: I should explain that the horses for the Pantechnicon are the same used for the Omnibus and the Fire Engine.

This is all getting my creative juices flowing.  Shall we have a horse-drawn omnibus competition?

post-25673-0-70939100-1541961500_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-39170800-1541962051_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 8

When you say ‘competition’, do you mean ‘race’? Cos if you do, i’ll offer 200:1 against those tired-looking animals at Madderport.

Well, yes. "Competition" in the very gentlest sense.  More of a "group build", which is something I know military modellers do, where everyone builds the same kit and they compare results.

These things cost pennies on the internet and at swapmeets, which is why I can afford to buy them just for the figures.

Any takers?

• Like 3

When you say ‘competition’, do you mean ‘race’? Cos if you do, i’ll offer 200:1 against those tired-looking animals at Madderport.

They look so mangy that they’ve been rejected as potential supermarket lasagna!

Edited by Clearwater

Well... I have a few somewhere...

And a few of the fire engines too.

may be able to dig one out and have a go at it. Does anyone know the livery worn by buses in Blackstone? Or did the LBSCR or SECR have any of these?

What might one use for 1/76th scale reins? The finest brass wire you can find? Household thread would be much too coarse.

Thin enameled copper wire, such as you get in a transformer, would be better.  I used some I had fro the reins on these Shirescenes kits in 2mm.

post-25077-0-22422400-1541964687_thumb.jpg

Jim

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

They are plainly in a variety of scales. Whilst generally larger than 1/76, they can't all be S Scale!

If you go back, I did say “more or less”... ;)

Anyway, not an issue for you, as you think that’s not a useful scale.