Like most industrial NG railways, that one serves an extractive industry: extracting £2.50 from harassed parents to keep a toddler out of mischief for the three minute duration of the ride.

And obviously located in the freezer aisle.

Yes, I wondered who'd spot that first, but there is only so much cress-based humour one can cultivate.

Yes,it quickly becomes crass.   :jester:

I accidentally put my sister-in-law off shrimp for life by likening them to aquatic woodlice.

They are related, after all.  Both being crustaceans.

Jim

Edit to say I had to pause as i heard a thump outside.  looking out the window a sparrowhawk is in the process of despatching a pigeon right outside our front door.  I have photographic evidence should be required.

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 2

Scotsman in pigeon 'murderer' scandal goes viral in attempt to pin blame on bird.

After further investigation, it transpires that there has been a case of mistaken identity.  The murderer was not a Mr S Hawk, but a certain Peregrine Falcon, a serial attacker of pigeons. 

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now!

post-25077-0-09773400-1542210975_thumb.jpg

I have a later photo, but that is not suitable for publication where those of a squeamish nature may be watching.

Jim

• Like 4

After further investigation, it transpires that there has been a case of mistaken identity.  The murderer was not a Mr S Hawk, but a certain Peregrine Falcon, a serial attacker of pigeons. 

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now!

attachicon.gifDSC_0959.JPG

I have a later photo, but that is not suitable for publication where those of a squeamish nature may be watching.

Jim

I've a similar set of photos of an ex-pigeon which flew into an upstairs window at speed.  The most curious thing was the perfect outline of the pigeon on the glass, a sort of ghost image caused by the impact.

The imprint had a surprised sort of expression...

I've a similar set of photos of an ex-pigeon which flew into an upstairs window at speed.  The most curious thing was the perfect outline of the pigeon on the glass, a sort of ghost image caused by the impact.

The imprint had a surprised sort of expression...

That was a regular occurrence at our former house, which was out in the country, and not just with pigeons, tits and sparrows also.  Often they were being pursued by a peregrine in the case of the former or a sparrow hawk in the case of the latter two.  Small bundles of feathers in the garden were a frequent find and we get them here too from time to time.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally, does anyone know of the cheapest source of one of those delightful wing tanks? I love them, but their basic detail has made the RRP a bit steep as far as I'm concerned.

Scratch building.

• RMweb Gold

This afternon whilst working in the garden there was a sudden flapping of wings a few feet to one side. Both a collared dove and a sparrowhawk were on the ground both took off but from a standing start the Dove outflew the Hawk.  I did once have my hair parted by a sparrowhawk I was changing a wheel on the car  not far away was the Bird table the Hawk came flying in fast using the car to conceal his approach. At that monement my head came up and I felt something go through my hair.

I like the NG stuff Kevin. As for the water cress last time I bought some Marion found verious pond beasties including some very small shrimps among it. These were all carefully rescued and I wass dispatched to the local pond to release them.

Don

• Like 4

This afternon whilst working in the garden there was a sudden flapping of wings a few feet to one side. Both a collared dove and a sparrowhawk were on the ground both took off but from a standing start the Dove outflew the Hawk. I did once have my hair parted by a sparrowhawk I was changing a wheel on the car not far away was the Bird table the Hawk came flying in fast using the car to conceal his approach. At that monement my head came up and I felt something go through my hair.

I like the NG stuff Kevin. As for the water cress last time I bought some Marion found verious pond beasties including some very small shrimps among it. These were all carefully rescued and I wass dispatched to the local pond to release them.

Don

I had one almost crack me on the head while I was out walking a few weeks ago. That was harrowing.

Yum, shrimp.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

• RMweb Premium

Back several pages ago - ie yesterday - there was discussion of interchanges between SG and NG railways. Two occur in the book on the Kerry, Van and Mawddwy branches. Glanmule for the Kerry branch and the aforementioned Aberangell for the Mawddwy. An excellent read. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mawddwy-Branches-Oakwood-Library-Railway/dp/0853616264

My Sarn layout is posited on a reordering of the Kerry branch and therefore includes the compulsory SG/NG interchange at the back, though the NG is not intended to be operable.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94291-sarn-montgomeryshire-and-nantcwmdu-south-wales/page-5

Both the latter were timber railways. A more substantial NG railway was the short lived Plynlimon & Hafan railway which had an interchange with the Cambrian.It even has a passenger carriage, a rather fine one, and its loco went later to the VofR. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plynlimon_and_Hafan_Tramway

And of course there was the interchange at Welshpool, including some dual gauge track which has recently been uncovered and is being restored with the cattle dock.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/131684-uks-last-mixed-standard-and-narrow-gauge-welshpool-cattle-docks/

Jonathan

• Like 4

True... but my chassis building skills are non-existent though are in the process of being created.

Mine runs of a Fleischmann chassis, with the axles swapped out for longer ones, new styrene outside frames and cylinders and cranks filed from plastruct strip. The bodywork is all scratch built, though the cab roof is from an airfix/Dapol pug kit.

The point is you can use a RTR chassis, but hack it about a touch and nobody can tell.

• Like 2

True... but my chassis building skills are non-existent though are in the process of being created.

I am still hoping for a leg-up on a Hackworth for the Norfolk Minerals Railway!

Are you going to finish the Derwent development, or is it time to hand over the baton?

Nag, nag, nag.

• RMweb Gold

What he [brack] said.

(I am on a train and we went into a tunnel.)

Plus, prototypes don’t come much simpler than inside frames, inside cylinder 0-4-0s, so have a bash: if it’s awful, you can only get better. After all, we know what practice makes, right?

(If at the bar, it could be a barrister, a ballerina or a drunk practicing.)

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 2

I am still hoping for a leg-up on a Hackworth for the Norfolk Minerals Railway!

Are you going to finish the Derwent development, or is it time to hand over the baton?

Nag, nag, nag.

I now have the files again... so... it's not dead yet.