All great ideas. Unfortunately, for me, no chance of internet reaching the outbuilding.

Yet to insulate, so no work yet possible of the railway.  I find that I have developed a mental block, like the ones I have developed over track and electrics, over fitting out the outbuilding.  Honestly, I am hopeless.

How far is your railway building from the house? WiFi extenders are possible; my wife uses one to get Internet in her studio at the bottom of our garden. Email me if you want details.

I have sympathy about the cold environment. I'm luck enough to have a nano-workshop in the house, but it's offputtingly cold in there. Our central heating, which has been FU for some time is now looking increasingly BAR, and all our portable heaters are allocated to the living spaces. If I add any more I'm likely to blow fuses.

PS: herself is currently away with family, so tomorrow one of the heaters is going in the workshop. Maybe I can unfreeze the paint.

Edited by Guy Rixon

I do agree; except that I had to abandon Radio 4 during all the nastiness and stupidity in the summer of 2016, which unfortunately seems still to be with us. Never mind, I'm now happy with Radio 3 for most of the time, with occasional excursions into Radio 4 Extra and Classic FM.

The railway room (temporarily) has a rather strange inherited DAB radio, which very annoyingly seems to 'drop out' occasionally. It does however have a useful secondary function in detecting arcing when building and testing locomotives (in full daylight)!

The full specification for the Railway Room Radio is being drawn up.

It needs:

Radio (normal and DAB)

Push button channel changing for quick avoidance of unpleasantness (When making necessary excursions to Radio 4.)

CD player.

Internet ability, with presumably a small screen, for iPlayer, BBC Sounds etc.

Suitable readers for whatever the sort of storage card is that I use in the car.

I would be very grateful for any (helpful) advice.

I use the 21st century very selectively, although I do admit that some parts of it can be useful.

CD player 

You can get CD/DAB/FM audio systems from Argos in the £50-£70 range:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8107761

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7434985

Amazon have a Roberts boombox with the above plus an SD card and USB slot for £75

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008YS1OK0/ref=asc_df_B008YS1OK058205582/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B008YS1OK0&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310809309344&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3062212626796846342&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006523&hvtargid=pla-562058761136&th=1&psc=1

There's also a Roberts device that does streaming radio for £200, though without CD or a card slot...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/audio-and-headphones/audio/radios/roberts-stream-94i-portable-dab-fm-smart-bluetooth-radio-black-wood-10174334-pdt.html?store=2810&&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=-xamtqwrxim&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0003%20(PLA)%20HOME%20AUDIO~All%20Products~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700035148155121&tgtid=0003%20(PLA)%20HOME%20AUDIO&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4IbduOSI4AIVSrDtCh11nQZHEAQYASABEgKZx_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Hroth

The thing is, by the early 60s the railways were in need of both modernisation and rationalisation (to a degree).  However, the government of the time wanted to make "savings" in an unrealistic time frame. (We've heard that one before, eh?) and Beeching was employed to achieve these aims.  It didn't help that he had a very narrow remit in a very narrow timeframe, handed down by a Minister For Transport (ie Marples) who was completely unsuited for the post, given his interests in motorway building.

We could have had an integrated transport system, but it ended up as a disaster, caused by the wrong people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The thing is, by the early 60s the railways were in need of both modernisation and rationalisation (to a degree).  However, the government of the time wanted to make "savings" in an unrealistic time frame. (We've heard that one before, eh?) and Beeching was employed to achieve these aims.  It didn't help that he had a very narrow remit in a very narrow timeframe, handed down by a Minister For Transport (ie Marples) who was completely unsuited for the post, given his interests in motorway building.

We could have had an integrated transport system, but it ended up as a disaster, caused by the wrong people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Good job Those Set Above Us these days are so much better at these things.

Good job Those Set Above Us these days are so much better at these things.

Lets not go into that again, or we'll all start crying.....

An aside.

That David Dimbleby "How we built Britain", I thought it was a new series, but its actually a repeat from 2007 (You can get the DVD from Amazon, and a book too.) so all the swoopy drone shots, etc were cutting edge then. Still doesn't make it any better!

Anyhow, the other thing was, does Vera know he's nicked her Landrover?

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

When we were having trouble with the Broadband they sent us one of those 4G mini hubs. Basically a wifi hub whuch uses a simm card rather than Broadband. It was very effective certainly better than the dodgy broadband. Now I seem to remeber something about being able to use my 4G phone to create a wifi hub. Of course there is the concern about how much dtat you are using and it would depend on your tarrif. Mind you does Edwardian have 4G reception? I shall have to investigate the feasibilty of doing that when off in the motorhome it may well be cost effective compared to campsite wifi which is usually slow and sometimes expensive. The mini hub was fast enough for Marion to be watching TV on the her laptop while I was busy on RMweb on mine. 

THe other thing one can do is to download Podcast, copy from any CDs you have, etc. onto a laptop which will work in an outbuilding even with no mains it will last for a while. You could also have a twelve volt leisure battery in an outbuilding with a solar panel to recharge it. There are plenty of things than can run off a 12v DC supply.  It will also run analogue trains. Actually I have no idea whether DCC can run off 12v  I have always assumed it is using ac of about 20v from its transformer.

Don

Now I seem to remeber something about being able to use my 4G phone to create a wifi hub. Of course there is the concern about how much dtat you are using and it would depend on your tarrif. Mind you does Edwardian have 4G reception? I shall have to investigate the feasibilty of doing that when off in the motorhome it may well be cost effective compared to campsite wifi which is usually slow and sometimes expensive. The mini hub was fast enough for Marion to be watching TV on the her laptop while I was busy on RMweb on mine. 

Don

Using a smartphone you set up a WiFi Hotspot (it will be an option in settings) which can the be picked up by nearby devices.  It doesn't have to be 4G, lesser speeds still allow comfortable browsing and internet radio.  For prolonged use, you do need to be sure your data allowance is sufficient, will your hub work with an alternative SIM (even a BT one)?

Thought that would be Internet by pigeon?

Nah. Internet over mechanised semaphore towers, as in Discworld.

Actually, the global telegraph network of c.1900 was an internet in the strict and correct sense of being an interconnection of private/national/imperial networks using agreed standards. The peering and gateway arrangements were a bit labour-intensive though.

• Like 3

Using a smartphone you set up a WiFi Hotspot (it will be an option in settings) which can the be picked up by nearby devices.  It doesn't have to be 4G, lesser speeds still allow comfortable browsing and internet radio.  For prolonged use, you do need to be sure your data allowance is sufficient, will your hub work with an alternative SIM (even a BT one)?

If you happen to use an iPhone and a Mac laptop, this is so easy that it happens automatically, even when you don't want it to...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nah. Internet over mechanised semaphore towers, as in Discworld.

Actually, the global telegraph network of c.1900 was an internet in the strict and correct sense of being an interconnection of private/national/imperial networks using agreed standards. The peering and gateway arrangements were a bit labour-intensive though.

This was among the many family photos I inherited from my mother. I haven't a clue where it is. There is a second water-colour showing the port of Piraeus that appears to be from the same source. Whether the two are connected geographically I am also ignorant.

post-14351-0-88007100-1548457530_thumb.jpg

• Like 11