I see RMWeb is shutting down for Engineering Possession on Tuesday Morning, and may be unavailable for at least 24 hours and possibly 48 hours.  If they're anything like Network Rail, the overruns may take us up the weekend.  May I suggest that rather than staring hard at our Chairman, and demanding more action on the Drill Hall front, we ALL have a go at producing some small bijou gem in the time that we would normally spend lurking on RMWeb in general and in the environs of Castle Aching in particular and post just 1 (one) image of the results of our labours.  It doesn't have to be finished, just some thing that will become part of our layouts.

No?

Well, it was just a thought....   :jester:

• Like 5

Good idea!

Well, I was in London all weekend, so I won't get another crack at the Drill Hall until the weekend.

I have one or two interesting shots from London, but the last computer with a working drive for the camera memory card has just died, so I can't get to the pictures, or, indeed, update further if and when I do re-commence work on the Drill Hall.

I don't know, if it's not one thing it's another ...!

Now, spooky as it may seem, given what a vast place the Old Metrop. is, after all, I ended up in a hotel round the corner from the Waterloo Necropolis station. Thanks to recent posts on CA, it was instantly recognisable. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

No suitable button for that. Of course coincidences are more common than we imagine and take us by surprise. Unless of course there are so many Necropolis stations in London that there will always be one just round the corner  :nono:  Ah well an enforced break from CA

Don

• RMweb Premium

Now, spooky as it may seem, given what a vast place the Old Metrop. is, after all, I ended up in a hotel round the corner from the Waterloo Necropolis station. Thanks to recent posts on CA, it was instantly recognisable.

You took your son for his treat to the Ian Allen bookshop?!?!

I have one or two interesting shots from London, but the last computer with a working drive for the camera memory card has just died, so I can't get to the pictures, or, indeed, update further if and when I do re-commence work on the Drill Hall.

I don't know, if it's not one thing it's another ...!

If you've a working computer with a working (and free) USB socket, then a cheap external card reader might be helpful.

A quick trawl on the Bay Of E for "memory card reader" reveals a huge assortment of such devices, one chosen at random (because the supplier has a UK address) is

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Flash-Memory-All-in-One-1-SD-SDHC-Mini-Micro-M2-MMC-Multi-Card-Reader-Writer/321450028788?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Daecd0c2d10dd46e2b8c4a74c1b1496e1%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D252262129387%26itm%3D321450028788&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

which handles a variety of card formats, though apparently not CF. 

Hope thats helpful!

• Thanks 1

Interlude:

What did I say about parallels with Network Rail and engineering overruns?  Ahem!

Zo!  With RMweb on its holiday, I finally got a little work done on "Midsomer Brevis", my O16.5 light railway set in an early 60s Midsomer.  In this case, I finally started converting cereal box placeholders to something more realistic.

2086506995_CerealBoxbuilding.jpg.2991b9f756d1aff489ed00413c6fe01f.jpg

This building is the premises of "Chas Hodges, Agricultural Engineers", a brick-built Victorian shed. In a way, it is more akin to a home-made Metcalfe building than the finely wrought creations that may be found hereabouts....

ChasHodge_1.jpg.85b203c2e988435ac9d1c8f0c4d42dce.jpg

It is constructed from mounting board and covered in upscaled OO brick paper, with Smallbrook Studios resin windowframes.  I intend to paint these a dark grungy green and paint the casting flash between the glazing bars a washy grey to represent the rather dirty glass! The windows will eventually be embellished with cills and lintels. The roof will remain uncovered until I get some more ink for the printer to produce some sheets of slate paper.  Behind the works, is the water tower for the railway.  This is just the cereal packet structure with the piers covered in brick paper and the tank and its strengthing RSJ beneath (which you can't see!) painted with a base of Tamiya X-10 "gun metal", to be further bedaubed with rust, algae, etc.

ChasHodge_2.jpg.9fec57aa043a2c52b22f0e295bb49f19.jpg

Finally, a shot of DI Sprout, next to his new Morris Oxford, conversing with Mr Hodge who is rapidly becoming a Person Of Interest in the investigation of a body found in his workshops.  This IS Midsomer, after all...

And thus concludes this test post... 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Northroader said:

So, mr. NR, how are you getting on with the new system???

Durrhhh????

And annuver fing, me avatar’s a roundy not a square!

It'll be interesting to see if posts will survive the closedown after the testing period at 13:00 (not a good time for triskaidekaphobiacs!), and yes, they've lopped me chimney!  Bring back Squares!

2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

You’re better at it than me, matey, you managed to post a piccy!

Drag'n'Drop!

This is the Modern World.......

(Drag the image from the folder on your computer to the posting window while holding the Ctrl key down to Copy rather than Move)Dr_Beaker_Supercar.png.a50776408af2ebf5e0989f17ed8ca7bd.png

Dr Beaker was the nearest image to hand...

• RMweb Premium

Modern?? (Hollow laugh)

that line of yours looks good, I tried to improve the shining hour by doing a bit on my On16.5, not as sensible as yours, found an electrical  fault and took half the track up. Still, it will look better and work in time for the next shutdown, maybe?? Crossed fingers.

I must confess, restoring all the pictures manually is rather wearing. I'd only managed 20 pages (out of 651) before losing the will to live.  Like many "improvements" or "upgrades", this one does not seem to have been an unqualified success!   

So, in the meantime, here is a shot from June 2017, representing as far as I have progressed with the village.  It is a little dispiriting to think that no modelling of buildings took place after this until the Drill Hall was started last September. The scene was dismantled without any further progress made. I think I must get back to the village soon. 

DSC_2884.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

All present and somewhat correct here. 

Taken advantage of RMWeb's downtime to actually do some modelling (please don't fall off your chairs in shock folks!). 3 (well 2 and a half in reality) wagons lettered for Elsbridge (Wharf), plus started a new kit: 

5732BF4B-F744-466F-B9D1-E747A9B0F78C.jpeg.95d89585e390c4f39eedf42553bcf3a3.jpeg.86f31e56ff30f923fb2b4a5804351e8a.jpeg

66411B0E-0DD6-43C1-B8CA-29A59BE645B6.jpeg.acfac7d968e6a5342b66021aaca23c42.jpeg.0e7ad5b779eb85c7229eda5553d95b47.jpeg

BDF27CC6-B59A-42C8-A838-E567246E7765.jpeg.784583fe216f34e4dd6949e9fd5b41c7.jpeg.c1dfeab00822e4c9dc19ee2167f8a292.jpeg

37590C7A-58D1-4FBE-A2C9-628BE896992A.jpeg.0ad49324aa207548d22bd0a538625652.jpeg.7d8f497f80519df8c92c6661f855f599.jpeg

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

An inglenookish at high tide?

PS: doesn’t everyone in those early star trecks look young? I’m sure they used to be as old as my Dad when they were first broadcast.

You may have just given me an idea as to what the rest of the scenery should be.

Perhaps there out to be a week each year when RMweb is inaccessible? The amount of modelling that seems to have been done is fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, sem34090 said:

I am quite well!
And I may have started a layout Yesterday...

Untitled.png.720317391b88a30bace5c24f39a31554.png

Apart from the vehicles, it reminded me of the discussion (some time ago) considering a "Lindisfarne Light Railway"....

(You've been skip-raiding again? (Indiana Sem in "The Raiders of the Lost Skip"...))

37 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

You may have just given me an idea as to what the rest of the scenery should be.

Perhaps there out to be a week each year when RMweb is inaccessible? The amount of modelling that seems to have been done is fantastic!

The amount of time freed up by not having RMweb to distract us has been amazing. Modelling as a displacement activity? Hmmm......

Edited by Hroth
Ooooh! We can even post editing excuses now!
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1