11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Sounds marvellous, sort of First Class Double Plus Good transport.  I don't see it catching on!

Most "holiday narrowboats" I've seen have more basic, hardwearing arrangements, even when privately owned.  I should expect brocaded silk curtains and furnishings by Liberty & Co would return completely wrecked after a couple of weeks cruising....

I can remember doodling  imaginary lush British India Steam Navigation sightseeing airships drifting low over the Serengeti during long meetings in the Dar Es Salaam Ministry of National Education (mostly in Swaheli) in the 1960s.

[My job was siting new agricultural boarding schools along the new Chinese  Tazara railway  being  built at the time to utilise all the farms (shambas) cleared to feed the hoarders of navvies.

They were interesting times. ]

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

That person also had a Railway on his dining table, pulled by a suitable WNR loco in silver. What it is to be a train nut, but with money??

https://www.livehistoryindia.com/forgotten-treasures/2017/04/26/gwalior-silver-train

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NDU3bbBraXg

Did that one Christmas with a Triang train hauling the salt'n'pepper around the dining room table.

Helped having a large table and 1st Rad curves.....

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Northroader said:

That person also had a Railway on his dining table, pulled by a suitable WNR loco in silver. What it is to be a train nut, but with money??

https://www.livehistoryindia.com/forgotten-treasures/2017/04/26/gwalior-silver-train

I used the dream of my very own Breakfast Train .... surely one of the best uses to which a model railway could be put?

576932591_CaractacusPottsBreakfastTrain.jpg.f171af148d3f72507a91b579ce887c42.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

Very sound idea.

An idea that I'm still not entirely rid of is to create a breakfast layout, with a streamline moderne theme, using 1930s tinplate trains, plus things like toasters, coffee machines, an egg-poacher, a wireless etc as stations and signal boxes. All the appliances necessary to create breakfast were made in streamline moderne style, almost all from stainless steel or cast aluminium, so the aesthetic would be harmonious.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Very sound idea.

An idea that I'm still not entirely rid of is to create a breakfast layout, with a streamline moderne theme, using 1930s tinplate trains, plus things like toasters, coffee machines, an egg-poacher, a wireless etc as stations and signal boxes. All the appliances necessary to create breakfast were made in streamline moderne style, almost all from stainless steel or cast aluminium, so the aesthetic would be harmonious.

Sounds like a job for Dualit.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I do like the loco in the breakfast train picture, it looks like a broadgauge Emett emerging from a cuckoo clock. The string of sausages reminds me of where I was yesterday, with another image to back it up with more railway interest.0C159875-A5EB-4A79-AE86-33AEFEEAF620.jpeg.e0e4920c9a6d00e0fa55e33e2fbbcce6.jpeg

3419F0AB-7E3D-496C-9666-2717741975EF.jpeg.774b468797c415b4ff06ee77be11f96d.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

There’s a good (I.e.7mm) drawing of a Mid Wales 0-6-0 1864 in the Oakwood Press drawings portfolio by Mike Sharman “The GWR  0-6-0 standard gauge locomotives”, plan 28.( It’s the same as the BCR Carlisle.) I think they were done from the old blocks in the “Locomotive Magazine”.

• Thanks 1

Hroth

I’ve accidentally begun to collect Dualit toasters.

As a big fan of toast, I have had a classic two-slicer for decades, then recently I fished a barely used and as-new four-slicer out of the metal recycling bin at the local tip. Both are in the workshop for the fitting of new elements currently, but soon I shall be a six-slice man!

K

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Am I going dyslexic? You’re all talking of toasters, and there’s me thinking:

That’s quite a deviation...

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Northroader said:

Interesting dodges to get the engine to go round the tight curves at the ends of the table - are the leading drivers flangeless?

Roll over Wallace & Gromit!

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

I should have read your post. they are the Cambrian Small Passenger Class and Small Goods Class. The Mid Wales Railway locos were built by Kitson. So I'll have to keep looking.

Jonathan

Here was I thinking that SPCs and SPGs must have been sent up and down the Mid-Wales line after 1888.  Given my very slight knowledge of matters Cambrian, for all I know that's true!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Here’s a uniting juxtaposition: one of my toasters; and, an original FR rail chair, rescued from the old line when the deviation was completed.

8BDCBAB1-923C-4C37-A8DE-C0340927E79B.jpeg

The FR chair looks almost as elderly as the Dualit.....

After a bath in white spirits, Lion has turned white.  It is easier to assess in this state than when translucent.

This is Shapeways FUD, which, while expensive, does provide a reasonably smooth finish, though is quite brittle.

749574541_DSCN0122-Copy.JPG.894139b093fdb67b859fd040973db898.JPG

The areas that are required for sanding are more readily apparent in this state, though I shall coat with Halfords filler-primer first.

The lack of bolt-heads on the main frames is apparent, as is the lack of rivets to the smoke-box wrapper and to the tender.

The model is advertised as an enlarged version of the N Gauge model, and, in certain respects, this is evident. Certain features are a little crude for 4mm, particularly the framing to the cab side sheets and the moulded-on handrails to the tender side and rear.

Another point I notice is that the tender flaring should be at an angle, rising from front to rear.

I am sure that with a bit of sanding and scraping and some added rivets some refinement can be achieved.  

1802049545_Lion01atVulcanWks1980.jpg.1acb1ce4036e2074a8ce97578acc7eb2.jpg

• Like 15

I keep looking at these (and stablemates)  If you can live with the clumpy bits the only bit that looks wrong to me is the chimney which looks too short and squat, but would be fairly simple to put together out of tubes.

Buying without examining first is always a risk. I just bought this nice looking LNWR single, which I thought would suit with a bit of work and a new chassis.  On arrival I find it is too big vertically, though not far out horizontally. The boiler does sit horizontal, it is just lens distortion that gives it a slope.

I will examine it for ideas as to how to make a proper one myself. Then I will clean it up, give it a paint job, and offer for sale for someone who wants a semi-fictional 50s loco as it looks pretty nice, just not a true scale model.. I need it to be attached to a directors inspection coach, so if it is the wrong size it will look really wrong, but pulling a train it would look pretty reasonable.

P5250180.JPG

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 10

59 minutes ago, webbcompound said:

I keep looking at these (and stablemates)  If you can live with the clumpy bits the only bit that looks wrong to me is the chimney which looks too short and squat, but would be fairly simple to put together out of tubes.

Buying without examining first is always a risk. I just bought this nice looking LNWR single, which I thought would suit with a bit of work and a new chassis.  On arrival I find it is too big vertically, though not far out horizontally. The boiler does sit horizontal, it is just lens distortion that gives it a slope.

I will examine it for ideas as to how to make a proper one myself. Then I will clean it up, give it a paint job, and offer for sale for someone who wants a semi-fictional 50s loco as it looks pretty nice, just not a true scale model.. I need it to be attached to a directors inspection coach, so if it is the wrong size it will look really wrong, but pulling a train it would look pretty reasonable.

P5250180.JPG

Very cute. I'm definitely tempted to buy it should it go for sale.

8 hours ago, webbcompound said:

I agree, the chimney looks a little short.  You mentioning it might prompt me to do something about it. 

Also, I don't think I can live with those springs.

Meanwhile, today I had a sort of Club 1830 Holiday ...

257620731_DSCN0242-Copy.JPG.4158c5cc51608e4743b5d2b5d1daf4e9.JPG

• Like 13
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Can locals get a Beamish pass or something of that sort? A season ticket so one can just pop along for a few hours on a weekend afternoon? We used to have that for Legoland - only 20 min drive away - back in the day when the boys were of an age and we weren't too old for the rides...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

I agree, the chimney looks a little short.  You mentioning it might prompt me to do something about it. 

Also, I don't think I can live with those springs.

Meanwhile, today I had a sort of Club 1830 Holiday ...

257620731_DSCN0242-Copy.JPG.4158c5cc51608e4743b5d2b5d1daf4e9.JPG

The Steam Elephant. Retro.

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Can locals get a Beamish pass or something of that sort? A season ticket so one can just pop along for a few hours on a weekend afternoon?

Your entry fee gives you unlimited visits. Obviously that is more beneficial to locals but it applies to everyone. This was decided when it became clear that you couldn't visit everything on site properly in a single day.

Edited by webbcompound
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Can locals get a Beamish pass or something of that sort? A season ticket so one can just pop along for a few hours on a weekend afternoon? We used to have that for Legoland - only 20 min drive away - back in the day when the boys were of an age and we weren't too old for the rides...

Tickets are annual, so a whole year travelling in the WNR's Director's Saloon, if I like!

684167745_DSCN0566-Copy.JPG.413c5ade4c709abd03d23ebe0a9cc49c.JPG

Miss T quite to the manner born ... 

250960186_DSCN0563-Copy.JPG.5663a8fd63b49a080b9df7adb5e9fdfc.JPG

Dunrobin not preset, Boiler at the Severn Valley, wheels in South Devon and tanks in Wales.  

• Like 9