• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, webbcompound said:

an inordinate amount of sailing

You can never have too much sailing.

8 hours ago, Buhar said:

Australian humour

Be careful what you wish for...

6 hours ago, brianusa said:

I doubt toilet rolls would have made a good substitute for mothers but with today's plunderers, it may be so.  

Brian.

I don't find them a good substitute for mating either...

Having said that (and wishing that I hadn't) I bl00dy well can't find them at all right now.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Glad to see that someone else is awake - especially as it's you Annie!

Autumn has arrived here and the weather here is lovely and cool so I'm doing better with wakefulness and not suddenly falling asleep so often.

I'm wondering if I can make a GER wool wagon for my Norfolk layout. ........ 

ON TOPIC WARNING ALERT!  Please remain in your seats and keep calm.  Normal transmission will resume shortly.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

That makes complete sense given that the toilet roll craziness seems to have originated  here in Aus..

babyjillclimbingtreewith3babies.jpg.2134a141fd6a8de14d4bff980d7dce54.jpg

Actually I think you'll find this little scrote is responsible, apparently he'll do anything to get his hands (paws?) on them...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Metamorphosed: To change into a completely new form or type. (Cambridge Dictionary)

Is that just a posh way of saying it's been rebuilt?

Anyway I like it, - I like it a lot.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think it's Private Frazer...

Illustrating the essential dichotomy of Human Nature.

Jones, keep calm and everything will be ok. Frazer, don't bother, it'll get worse.

8 hours ago, sem34090 said:

I'm musing about what, if any, might be the positive effects of the virus.

Reduced global air travel?

At present any potential positive effects come at great cost, it's chucking the baby out with the bathwater.  On the other hand, it has reduced industrial pollution in China and it's probably having the same effects on countries that are more or less locked down.

615292427_dontwalk.jpg.60882f30758cb5cc1238e9a690e8458a.jpg DON'T GO OUT. IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh dear, this wretched 'flu.  The difficulty is that my internet, always poor, never really recovered from Storm Ciara and is degrading by the day.  What I fear is isolation without any viable link to the outside world.

Damn you BT and successive Governments for all your broken promises of superfast broadband!!!! 

Covid-19: I wish I had it, because then it would be over with.  A fortnight plus of 'flu and then the prospect of Covid-19 is irritating.  Of course, it's impossible to know for sure what I have or haven't got, as no test or diagnosis is available. This hardly matters as there is no treatment and no vaccine, merely the instruction to isolate, yet I find it has become important to me to know. For the elderly and vulnerable, Government advice seems to come down to a bleak "Stay at home and die alone!", and I fear for my parents.

However, once I have managed to get through a necessary amount of work, I should make an effort to motivate myself to return to the West Norfolk, which I have neglected for more months than I can recall.  

A timely intervention .....

59 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I found this in a back number of The Locomotive Magazine:

1719124152_WNR2-4-0.jpg.864309d070340340f2861756a9b5855a.jpg

Brilliant, Stephen, though you might have a word with the Locomotive Superintendent, as he seems to have forgotten to instruct the Aching Constable staff to remove the Westinghouse gear!

Really must do some WNR modelling! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Illustrating the essential dichotomy of Human Nature.

Jones, keep calm and everything will be ok. Frazer, don't bother, it'll get worse.

One aspect (among many) of Croft and Perry's genius was their characterisation of Jones as someone who would say one thing (Don't panic!) while doing the exact opposite.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

One aspect (among many) of Croft and Perry's genius was their characterisation of Jones as someone who would say one thing (Don't panic!) while doing the exact opposite.

Perhaps they knew my father in law who keep saying don't make a fuss when it was him fussing not anyone else. He loved Dad's Army but didn't see the similarity between Jones and himself.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, runs as required said:

I think the little soul looked prettier with her pair of cylinders instead of a black patch.

dh

I hadn't bothered to keep the CorelDraw file where I'd dome the editing, just the JPEG output, so had to re-import into CorelDraw; I didn't bother to spend time blending the patch in. 

Psst! Anyone want a used Westinghouse pump?

915005095_WNR2-4-0WHpump.jpg.54d635329cf24a0b48d8991d539f0a6f.jpg

Fell off the side of an engine, know what I mean, Gov?

• Funny 9

Just now, runs as required said:

I think the little soul looked prettier with her pair of cylinders instead of a black patch.

dh

Edit

It reminds me of the Rolls Royce salesman responding to an American's critical question about the starting handle in the car's comprehensive tool kit.

"Have you ever noticed the spots on your chest Sir?  They are for the most unlikely event of you having a baby." 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Oh dear, this wretched 'flu.  The difficulty is that my internet, always poor, never really recovered from Storm Ciara and is degrading by the day.  What I fear is isolation without any viable link to the outside world.

Damn you BT and successive Governments for all your broken promises of superfast broadband!!!! 

Covid-19: I wish I had it, because then it would be over with.  A fortnight plus of 'flu and then the prospect of Covid-19 is irritating.  Of course, it's impossible to know for sure what I have or haven't got, as no test or diagnosis is available. This hardly matters as there is no treatment and no vaccine, merely the instruction to isolate, yet I find it has become important to me to know. For the elderly and vulnerable, Government advice seems to come down to a bleak "Stay at home and die alone!", and I fear for my parents.

However, once I have managed to get through a necessary amount of work, I should make an effort to motivate myself to return to the West Norfolk, which I have neglected for more months than I can recall.  

A timely intervention .....

Brilliant, Stephen, though you might have a word with the Locomotive Superintendent, as he seems to have forgotten to instruct the Aching Constable staff to remove the Westinghouse gear!

Really must do some WNR modelling! 

I do feel for you. However you only have to look at the situation in Italy where the Health system is nearing the point of collapse to realise the drastic measures being introduced are necessary. The aim in this country is not to isolate people and leave them to die alone but to avoid overloading the system with mild cases but that if the symptoms persist or worsen after a short period of isolation to be able to take the serious cases into the NHS and give the support needed. So unless you succumb very quickly when the actual cause of death is likely to be pre-existing such as pneumonia you will be cared for. The danger of course is should the number of caes esculate to quickly we may well reach a point of having to decide who gets say use of a ventillator.

I do however feel that there should be testing for those self isolating so that they know whether they have had Corvid19 or something else and for the authorities to be able to monitor the situation properly. I assume the resources to do the testing are not available or needed more urgently elsewhere. A system for people to record the fact that they are self isolating would help with monitoring. The big concern with not monitoring is when is it safe to relax the restrictions.

Of course as a pensioner the advice that the over 70s are more susceptable is not welcome but the fact that a pension is a guarranteed income is very welcome. 

Don

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, runs as required said:

Anybody else remember that scary Amrican 1960s doorstep of a textbook by 'Morgan" on  Psychology?

There was a horrendous bit of cruelty,  starkly  b+w photographed proving  how 'baby monkeys prefer cloth mothers to wire mothers'.

dh

Largely discredited piece of work: the “cloth mother” had a much friendlier face (large eyes, etc) than that of the “wire mother”. Classic example of confounding variables!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

They really are lovely photos Simon - thanks for sharing! 

The Eastern & Midlands stock in view in a couple of the photos does look remarkably like it is of Midland origin - or am I missing something? I'm wondering if I could get away with repainting a couple of 7mm Slaters kits...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Hroth said:

At last, a unequivocally positive outcome of Covid19, the Eurovision  Song  Contest has been cancelled!

Hope that  helps... :jester:

It gets better, most of the soaps have cancelled filming. Who knew panic buying would cause the BBC to run out of Eastenders? :jester:

Gary

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4