Hi Everyone.

I have been doing some work around the church today, i added a sandstone brick wall and then grass and a path.

I still need to add gravestones, a tree and a seat.

Here is a photo of todays work:

WP_20160217_16_08_36_Pro.jpg

Needs a little tidying up when fully dry.

Steam Julie:

I have done the edges on some of the buildings as you suggested, tricky finding the right colour.

Dan:

58's, I used to see those on coal trains when I lived in Derbyshire, used to like seeing a pair of class 20's going through Stirling station when I used to stay at my friends.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

Here is a photo of tonight's work:

WP_20160218_20_59_40_Pro.jpg

I have made the gravestones etc from leftovers of card from the building kits painted a suitable colour and then planted on the layout.

They were fiddly to make but worth the effort I think.

Next is to add a tree and a bench.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

I have not done much modelling as trying to find a cheap automatic car but I have put road markings, parking spaces etc now onto the road.

I'm going to build the rest of the kits I have and place them on the layout, then get some paving, make a signal box and then start the finer details etc.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

Well, after two weeks of searching for a car I have finally found one which means I can get back to modelling.

Here is a photo of latest work:

WP_20160221_11_43_05_Pro.jpg

As you can see I added road markings etc, next is to build the house kits.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

I have been working on the pavements and terraced houses.

Here is a photo:

WP_20160301_08_28_33_Pro.jpg

I am going to the model shop today for supplies and then I can get on with ballasting, paving etc.

More soon.

Jerry.

Coming along nicely. Always liked the Metcalfe range, I have an OO bus garage kit that will be used (with some modification) as an engine shed when I get around to doing the planned Lillie bridge LT depot.

Thanks Kelly for your reply.

Your idea to turn the bus depot into a shed sounds good.

I think the Metcalfe kits are great and not bad value.

I managed to get to my local model shop yesterday so ballasting will commence soon, then finish off the paving.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

I have been busy ballasting and it's nearly all done, I will post a photo of the latest work when I finished the ballasting.

Next I am going to invest in a static grass puffer bottle and give it a try, has anyone had any experience with these / tips?

I will be using it to put a field, rougher grass areas in.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

After a short modelling absence of my own, I am pleased I returned to this great layout thread.

You have made fantastic progress and the layout is looking more & more life like.. Just awesome.

I have used the gaugemaster puffer bottle and with time and patience you can achieve good results. Though I must confess I have a static grass applicator which does deliver a much better result, I bought it recently at local exhibition.. Think the company name was penduke models. I only paid £20 for it and it was worth every single penny.. Will double check company name and let you know.. If you like?.

By all means try the puffer bottle and see how you get on.. Look forward to seeing your progress

I have just found this thread and I am impressed by the work done so far. Had I found it earlier I may have suggested you added a backscene in front of the rear part of the loop, and maybe added a hidden siding to turn this area into a mini fiddle yard. Looks great though, and the church yard looks fantastic.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

I am going to put a backscene in towards the back, the idea of a hidden siding is good, so I will put one in.

Not a lot done since last update, got some of the grass down using the puffer bottle and the result is not bad, I think I need a bit more practice with it.

Going to do some more work tomorrow.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

Here is the latest progress photo:

WP_20160313_13_45_17_Pro.jpg

As you can see the ballasting has been commenced and the grass is starting to make an appearance.

I am thinking of putting a old ruin in the grassed bit near the level crossing or part of a farm.

I need to finish the ballasting, add some more grass, build the rest of the buildings and plant some trees.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Wow what a difference since the last pictures.. You have done a great job with the puffer & static grass, looks fab.

Are you going to be using ready to plant trees or be daring and attempt making some?.

Gaugemaster do some great almost photo quality backscenes.. Might be worth a look?.

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your post.

The puffer bottle is pretty good for the price, I think with a bit more practice it will look even better.

I will probably go for ready to plant trees although slightly tempted to make my own.

I have seen the gaugemaster backscenes and they look good, I will see what they have in my local model shop when I next visit.

I need to scratch build some crossing gates, possibly make some hedges from sponge scourers.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

Just a little update for you of todays work:

WP_20160316_19_37_51_Pro.jpg

As you can see I have added some more grass and ballast, this will be touched up a bit tomorrow.

I am going to try and make my own tree out of wire etc, just going to make one and see how it goes.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Yeh the results you have achieved are far better than mine with the puffer bottle, take my hat off to you.

Good for you in trying your hand at scratch building your own trees, cant wait to see your results.

As for the gaugemaster back scenes.. If you don't have any luck at your local model shop then give gaugemaster themselves a call. They are Great people and very helpful.

Best wishes

Dan

hi jerry

just discovered this thread and your layout looks great coming together very nicely

cheers

phil

Thanks Phil,

I spent most of last night making my first tree, first I got a 60cm piece of 1.3mm garden wire, fold in half, twist bottom to form trunk, then make a loop and twist, keep doing this until you run out of wire.

Next form your loops into a kind of tree shape.

Then cover in pva glue and set aside until fully dry.

Next add a second coat of the glue and sprinkle on some sand to give body.

Leave until completely dry.

Paint whole tree in a brown colour and leave to dry.

Next add glue to the ends and place teased out scouring pad pieces of varying sizes on the ends of your branches.

Wait until dry, and there you have it.

I will show you my first result when it's dry.

So far it's not looking to bad.

I got the idea of a guy from Youtube.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

Here as promised is my first ever homemade tree:

WP_20160318_10_41_55_Pro.jpg

I don't think It looks to bad, if I was going to be critical it's maybe slightly out of scale.

Off to make some more.

More soon.

Jerry.

A very impressive first attempt. I am sure scale is less of an issue for trees as there are some very tall trees around.

Thanks.

The second tree looks a bit better, it's drying at the moment, I will post a photo tomorrow.

Anyone know how I can make them more realistic?

I did think about using sea foam.

More soon.

Jerry.

Archived