Hi Everyone,

Well after discussing this in the layout planning section I have finally got round to the building stage.

I bought a sheet of chipboard ( not the best I know ) 3 feet x 2 feet and pinned the track down.

The track plan is pretty simple, an oval of track with two sidings at the right hand side made using a left and a right hand medium radius points.

The station will be on the right hand side and a signal box on the left.

Some sort of town will be built in the middle.

The layout will be set around the 1980's to year 2000 and run Dmu's and short freight trains and DC controlled.

I will post a photo of progress soon.

Next thing to do is build Metcalfe station kit to fit around corner of layout.

More Soon.

Jerry.

Thanks for your reply James.

I have been building the station and platform up kit, this is from Metcalfe kits.

Here is a photo of work so far:

WP_20160204_15_15_02_Pro.jpg

As you can see, I still have a bit of work to do to the station building.

You can also see the sidings in front of the station, the rest of the track is just a simple oval of track.

I will finish the building off and then I am going to plan out the rest of the layout.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been mocking up ideas and drawing out where buildings may go etc.

Here is a photo of the whole layout as it stands today.

WP_20160206_12_31_12_Pro.jpg

I scratch built a signal box but I am going to rebuild it as not happy with it, the station building needs finishing off also.

Next job is to finish the station building and then decide wether to have two level crossings, one next to station and one on other side of layout or a bridge next to station and level crossing on the other side.

I usually do the ballasting after all railway structures etc have been placed on the layout.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

Here is a photo of tonight's progress:

WP_20160206_20_27_06_Pro.jpg

The station and station building are now completed baring a bit of tidying up and the road has been laid and car park.

Next job is to decide what buildings to put on / use.

I am thinking of a church on the corner of the road, some terraced houses maybe and a shop or pub.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply,

The buildings will be Metcalfe kits, I think they are great kits and not expensive either which helps the budget.

The signal box is a bit big for N gauge and the window panes are not painted straight ( I built it years ago ).

I am definitely going for a church as I think it will look good once I put it on a slight hill and have grave stones, seats, trees etc around it.

SWMBO has said it's shopping day so may have to wait until tonight to work on the layout.

Need to buy a few kits too.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

I agree that Metcalfe kits are great and with time, effort and few additions they brilliant..not to mention rewarding (as you sit back and smile to yourself and say I did that ).

I have always built my gravestones and church gates, but if it is to your interest I think either pd marsh or Langley produce white metal figures for a wedding scene or a funeral..just adds to scenic effect.

As most of us modellers at some point in our lives have restricted budgets due to family or just life in general.. But never let a budget make you loose sight of what you set out to achieve. Like I always say.. Model railways I my means of escape and keeps me sane but if you do have kids, like me ..can be great way to get bit more train time while giving missus some time for herself. A win win all round.

Do you have any rolling stock yet, if so what are you planning to run on your layout?.

That's fair comment about rebuild of the signal box, if it helps .. Go onto Metcalfe website and they do provide sizes of their kits and rest is really up to you.. Full use of modellers licence.

Cant wait to see further progress on this layout, looking and sounding a great project.

Good luck with the shopping & hopefully chat with you again later.

Kind regards

Dan

Hi Jerry,

I am really pleased to see you have got your little project off the ground. You have made an excellent start and I will be following with interest. One of the joys of this type of layout is that you can quickly get trains up and running and have a play alongside developing the scenic work!

Keep us updated,

David

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your replies guys,

I don't have much stock at the moment, I have a class 101 dmu my good lady got me for Christmas in regional railways livery, a maroon old coach, a cattle wagon and a class 04 shunter that needs attention to the pick ups.

I will set the layout around the 80's - 2000 era and will eventually get appropriate locos, wagons etc.

Haven't done much to the layout tonight apart from tidying up the station area, filling in gaps etc and marking out where buildings go ( thanks Dan for the Metcalfe tip about measurements ).

I am going to the model shop tomorrow ( Jefferson's of Scarborough ) and going to get the church and pud and shop kits from Metcalfe if they have them.

I was wondering about adding a storage loop at the back so I can change train over for another.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry

No worries on the heads up on Metcalfe site for sizes of kits, glad to hear your going modelling shopping trip tomorrow :imsohappy: if you have no luck with your shopping list then I highly recommend Hattons of Liverpool or Cheltenham model centre, always great to deal with and very reliable, that being if your local shop don't have what you want. 

Are you handy with preforming loco surgery.. if not then I have always found the farish service sheets that come with the loco's within the dozens of paper works a great help.. if you don't have the sheet .. can always contact Bachmann/farish but friendly heads up .. sometimes talking to them can be hard work. The 04 can be a tricky little customer to work on, but as you make changes or take things out, I always use my mobile to take pictures of my steps and as a pictorial guide, so if I get stuck, then I always know where I am at or where I should be. The 101 is another fab loco, good sound  choices.

Glad to hear your still making progress with the layout..one suggestion, would you consider changing your 80's to 2000's to maybe a heritage style of running?. thus giving you all the benefits of running whatever you choose.. I am a fan of these practices myself.

As your asking for others advice/opinion on adding an additional loop at the rear/fiddle yard .. if it were me then yes I would absolutely do that .. would make running and storage much easier.. though what points were you thinking of using?.

If it were me then I would avoid using set track points especially if you plan to run bigger loco's such as 2-6-2 or 4-6-0 even more modern 6 wheel bogie sets on the diesels most of the time fail to go through the tiny set track points. Peco medium radius points or above are best. But if you only plan to run dmu's or just 0-6-0 loco's ..then by all means use the set track points ( st5's or st6's I think).  I always use medium radius points as its best to keep options open.

Chat again soon Jerry, if I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to ask.. I don't profess to know everything, but do have very broad range of knowledge through experience in N gauge and like most other modellers always happy to help if I can.

Kind regards

Dan :imsohappy:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply and offer of help.

I got to the model shop and purchased the corner shop and pub and the parish church kits from Metcalfe so I will start building these up tonight and stick them on the layout.

I will put a stone wall around the church once completed and then add a tree, grave stones etc.

The shop is a post office and newsagents and will have a post box outside, bin and a few figures.

I need to get the markings painted too.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

Not done much modelling last couple of days as I have been revising for my driving test ( which is today, eek! ).

I have completed the pud kit and added it to the layout and put in some of the pavements.

Here is a photo:

WP_20160211_08_36_20_Pro.jpg

I also added some steps to the back of the station and I'm wondering if I need to paint them and if so what colour?

Next is to build the church kit and add it to the layout and then add the rest of the pavements, add house kits ( after purchasing them ).

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply, good news is I passed the driving test.

Here is another photo of the pud:

WP_20160210_10_12_19_Pro.jpg

I quite like these Metcalfe kits.

Tonight I will be celebrating but back to modelling tomorrow.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry

Congratulations on passing your test, that will come in handy if you should choose to exhibit Eade.

Yeh I agree, Metcalfe kits are great to build and when taking your time the overall effect is more rewarding. Layout is really coming along nicely bud, hope your as chuffed with it, as we are enjoying following your progress.

Have you test run any rolling stock on the layout yet?.

Enjoy your celebrations

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks, I have test run my class 101 around the layout and into the sidings and it runs great.

Never thought about exhibiting it, would have to get more stock to run on it.

Now I can drive I will be able to visit shows etc.

I am pleased with the way the layout going so far, hopefully it may even inspire someone to have a go themselves.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

I am sure that you have inspired others. You certainly got me inspired to start modelling again, so thank you.

This layout has got lots of potential and given time I am absolutely sure that your Eade would be very well received at exhibitions and inspire more to start there own layouts. What you have achieved in such a small space is fantastic.

And with Eade you are showing people that given the 3'x2' size baseboard.. Surely everybody has got room for a layout of this kind.

Awesome work bud, look forward to seeing more

Regards

Dan

Hi Jerry,

Just read through few of your earlier threads.. Like myself you are a big fan of class 37's (Growlers).

Are there going to be any Ews hauled pathfinder excursions passing through Eade or maybe a Loadhaul visiting the freight yard??.

I have just recently bought new farish Drs & Ews 37's .. They are superb, they are dcc ready too.. That being if you were thinking of going dcc later in the project.

Regards

Dan

Hi Everyone,

I have been busy looking for a car but got some modelling done yesterday and completed the church kit.

Here's a photo:

WP_20160216_07_39_56_Pro.jpg

I do like this kit, I am going to put a stone wall around it and then grass and a gravel path, graves etc.

There maybe a class 37 tour Dan, I do like 37's and class 20's.

I am going to get the terraced house's kit next and start developing the scenery.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Jerry

The church looks great, look forward to seeing the houses kits, you going to attempt guttering & down pipes?.

Yeh I strongly recommend the Farish 37's and the 20's both smooth runners, must say that I do like to see a pair of 20's .. Pair of Dapol 58's are also just as satisfying.

Happy modelling bud

Regards

Dan

Archived