Guest nzflyer

Guest nzflyer

Hi all,

As part of the 75th anniversary of the Fall of Singapore next year a local club is organizing a small diorama that will (to some extend) have a railway involved, either it be a small shunting plank or tailchaser is yet to be decided. I'm not handling the railway side of things as scratchbuilding stock, buildings etc is being left to the more experienced members of the group, so I am leading the model vehicle side of things. I have a good idea of which artillery and armour to involve in the diorama but I'm more interested in road transport. The only British military truck around that is ready to run in Pacific livery is the Oxford Diecast 76BD017 Bedford, in the markings of the 1st Armoured Division in 1941. I wanted to include at least some Morris, Austin etc. trucks in the layout so I'm scratching my head for ideas of which vehicles to include either kit built, scratch built or ready to run. Anyone on here with some knowledge of the Singapore campaign (railway/vehicle related or not) is more than welcome to share their stories and ideas!

• RMweb Premium

Try this for starters http://www.network54.com/Forum/330333/thread/1131190365/MILITARY+VEHICLES+IN+MALAYA-SINGAPORE+DURING+WW2-

I'm about to go out for the day, otherwise I could rummage in the shed where my military 'library' is now unfortunately stored.

An image search on variations of 'Singapore ww2 military vehicles' will probably help.

Pete

You might find the Bedford O-Series, and perhaps the Austin equivalent. The Canadian-built truck that Oxford do is too late. The photo with the Quads and 25-pounders shows something that might be an Albion in the background. Though I couldn't see any in the photos, Austin Tillies, as modelled by Oxford, might be around. The lorry with the sloping radiator is a Fordson, I believe.

My dad's cousin, after whom I was named, was in Singapore when it fell, and spent several years in Changi as a 'guest of the Emperor'- never really recovered his health afterwards.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photos in the link Pete shared, the gun tractors are Morris FAT Quads, note the crew with the 4.5 inch howitzer are wearing Bombay bloomers. The car behind the gun tractor looks like an Austin 8 AP series tourer.

The armoured car is a Lanchester, manned by crews from the Royal Marines and Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, nicknamed the Plymouth Argyll's. As captioned the Indian gun tractor is a Ford 1940 model. The gun tractor for the 2 pdr is a Morris C8 Portee, the gun normally carried on the back of the truck. The next photo is an Indian Army 30 cwt Chevrolet 1939 model. Followed by canadian CMP trucks, not sure of payload as I cannot see the body, with early number 11 cabs. And the last one is a Morris 30 cwt CS11/30 or a 2 ton WD 10/40, hard to tell without seeing the side of the bonnet clearly. 

Peter's link again shows the Morris FATs. The trucks with the Bren Carriers are 1939 Chevrolets, both Canada and India built these for their own armies and the British. The truck at the dockside is a Fordson 30 cwt WOT3. Not sure about the motorbikes. I do like the photos of the 3 inch AA battery.

• RMweb Premium

The motorbikes are Ariel 350 cc single cylinder machines, the standard British military despatch riders machine, you get two in the Airfix RAF recovery set. The Airfix RAF bomber supply set also has a model of one of these machines together with a Standard 12 hp Tilly and a Bedford MW 15 cwt lorry but to 1/72 scale. There are models of trucks with the CMP number 11 cab also available in 1/72 scale from some of the Polish plastic kit makers.

• RMweb Premium

The motorbikes are Ariel 350 cc single cylinder machines, the standard British military despatch riders machine, you get two in the Airfix RAF recovery set. The Airfix RAF bomber supply set also has a model of one of these machines together with a Standard 12 hp Tilly and a Bedford MW 15 cwt lorry but to 1/72 scale. There are models of trucks with the CMP number 11 cab also available in 1/72 scale from some of the Polish plastic kit makers.

Hi Phil

Cheers, I have even drawn them for a wargames site I contribute to.

post-16423-0-77149100-1454546252_thumb.png

There are several whitemetal or resin 1/76 scale kits of suitable vehicles, made by relatively obscure manufacturers. I don't have links to them, but suggest googling some of the following, or look for their ads in mags such as "Military Modelling" :-

Matador Models

Milicast

Convoy Models

MMS Models

Sergeant's Mess

Wee Friends

Hope this helps,

Kevin.

Hi all,

As part of the 75th anniversary of the Fall of Singapore next year a local club is organizing a small diorama that will (to some extend) have a railway involved, either it be a small shunting plank or tailchaser is yet to be decided. I'm not handling the railway side of things as scratchbuilding stock, buildings etc is being left to the more experienced members of the group, so I am leading the model vehicle side of things. I have a good idea of which artillery and armour to involve in the diorama but I'm more interested in road transport. The only British military truck around that is ready to run in Pacific livery is the Oxford Diecast 76BD017 Bedford, in the markings of the 1st Armoured Division in 1941. I wanted to include at least some Morris, Austin etc. trucks in the layout so I'm scratching my head for ideas of which vehicles to include either kit built, scratch built or ready to run. Anyone on here with some knowledge of the Singapore campaign (railway/vehicle related or not) is more than welcome to share their stories and ideas!

There is either a Polish or Ukrainian company that does the military staff cars for the participants in WW2, including the Romanian Army and I have seen a British staff car in a model shop last year. Can't remember the company though. Might have been UM or PST.

If I remember correctly there is a British company the makes white metal staff cars, trucks, etc. in their range for the British standard 1:76 scale wargaming, which is a closer match to 00 scale than 1:72 scale models.

Guest nzflyer

I'm looking at purchasing or scratch building one of the Ford trucks that's pictured in one of the links above. Also have a look at some of the other modelmaker links above. 

The bikes appear to be the ubiquitous BSA M20, if we are looking at the same picture - the rear one is clearly a side valve engine and the pressed-steel chaincase is definitely not Ariel.

The bikes in the Airfix set seem to be Ariel, though. There were all manner of machines bought in, in tne early stages of the war, Ariel did supply the 350cc single and the Matchless G3L was a common later machine, but most service machines anywhere prior to 1944 would be the BSA M20 or the Norton 16H.

Archived