I'm all about turning whole trains.

The idea is to set-up the trains at the beginning of a session, and not have to fiddle in the fiddle-yard thereafter, the point being to maintain a show "on stage", rather than spend a lot of time in the "dressing room". That was why I rejected cassettes, after much indecision.

Kevin

At home, it will have to be used purely as a sector table, swinging into a window reveal. Exhibition-wise, I can't imagine there being much problem, in that I intend to operate from the front, and if there is room for me, there must be room to swing at least a kitten.

K

• RMweb Premium

The question of curves in the run-off from the table isn't a problem, the key thing is that the track at the join is in line with your pivot point and then curves quite gently on to a track parallel with the centre track through the pivot point. This transition curve would only become tight with a very short table. The only thing against this sort of table is you need as much space at the back as the front, so it needs to be freestanding, which with the alcove, you have.

Edited by Northroader

• 2 weeks later...

Monday Report, on Sunday.

No actual anything has happened at "Paltry Circus" since the previous report, due to life being rather busy.

But, as you can see below, planning for the construction of the fiddle-yard continues apace.

Kevin

post-26817-0-95633300-1460305307.jpg

post-26817-0-39370700-1460305802.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

Monday Report, on Sunday.

No actual anything has happened at "Paltry Circus" since the previous report, due to life being rather busy.

But, as you can see below, planning for the construction of the fiddle-yard continues apace.

Kevin

Photograph on the right presumably the Peco Code 75 OO Bullhead rail points design department

Indeed, but here you only see the "switch rails" section. "The Frog Department", and "Stock-Rails and Sleepering" are in another building, across the road.

I think that, if you look very carefully, you can see Young Mr Pritchard himself, in the very far distance.

K

'Tis interesting that, because, during my brief stint in a traditional DO, everyone worked standing-up, except the "tracers" who traced switch and crossing layouts at some gigantic scale, who had a huge table, which they crawled about on, working on hands and knees.

The tracers were all young women, and, shameful to confess, us young chaps found the sight of them at work more than a little distracting, especially the bit where they kicked their shoes off, and tried to climb onto said table in a dignified manner, while wearing what was fashionable in the mid/late 1970s.

So, I tend to agree, chairs do seem a bit "cushy".

Kevin

• Like 1

In my brief foray in the railway business, (Lucas Girling Bromborough - brake discs and actuation) during the early 80's, I was provided with a desk and chair, and a drawing board and a stool. Of course, as a newly graduated junior engineer, I had no idea what luxury this represented.

We were just starting with CAD. It was 2.5D CADAM and the tubes were just enormous. The screen was perhaps 30", but the tube was surely twice as long, so they were in a special room, in the corners, so they didn't stick out. We had a midi computer, a GEC with 1 Mb of ram IIRC, and a printer the size of a commercial fridge, that required all sorts of hazardous chemicals to operate. We also had a "mega stream" link, which allowed 1Mb/s data transfer to head office...

I'm tapping this out, some 33 years on, on an iPad whose processing power certainly exceeds that of the entire engineering office at that time, and connected to you lot by a relatively poor broadband link of around 30Mb/s down and 6 up. Times have changed.

(I'm also reminded of my great aunt who was born before the Wright brothers flew, and who lived to see moon landings and Concorde, and to fly on a jumbo jet.)

Sorry for the distraction,

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Simon

We're big on distraction here!

When CAD began to arrive, as you say, in the early 80s, I too was a junior engineer (not in the DO by that stage), but had also become (mainly because everyone else knew what the job really consisted of) TU Rep for the technical staff involved. In fairness to the managers of the time, the introduction of CAD was done with reasonable sensitivity to all involved, but some of the older guys found it an utterly massive shock - they just couldn't hack it. Taught me a lot about how people become ingrained with their daily working routines, so that change causes them genuine pain.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

• 1 month later...

Is there anybody there? Tap once etc.....

Well, a month almost to the day, and a very small amount of actual progress on the layout!

An unusual day for me, with a meeting near to home this afternoon, rather than commuting, so I was able to do a bit of sneaky woodwork this morning in total, uninterrupted peace.

Focus was the "fiddly bit" of making the turntable fiddle-yard, using a big "lazy susan" bearing; uninteresting pictures of plywood follow. The positive bit is that when I "bench tested" it, the alignment passed my "good enough" test. It probably wouldn't do for P4, but certainly will for Coarse 0.

The deck will get pieces of aluminium angle along the edges to counter any tendency to warp (tricky chaps these bits of oriental plywood!), and I need to make a basic frame from 2"x1".

Don't hold your breath!

Kevin

post-26817-0-38797400-1463654374_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-34777500-1463654399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8

Another quick bout of stealth-woodwork has given the FY turntable a frame.

It still works (!), and using some 34" radius 18 degree curves that I have, it will work out quite nicely. No fancy bits of PTFE or anything, simply bees-wax rubbed into the surfaces, which gives just the right 'slip', without being too slippery.

The aluminium "warp-resistors" will be needed, and have been cut, but not fitted yet .

Kevin

post-26817-0-63445300-1463841292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

Hi Kevin, just looked in on this section and your thread , to see your using the same style of rotating sector plate I built for my O scale layout Moonan Flats And the same style of bearing for the pivot

My set up has proved very successful and had no issues with an intensive 3 day exhibition its first test with continuous use.and then used most days at home.

Info links below

Links to my build

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97814-7mm-modelling-down-under-moonan-flats-small-oscale-the-current-project/?p=1973369

This one shows the important under bearing to keep some preload on the top bearing for proper operation.

It stops any movement that may compromise the alignment.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97814-7mm-modelling-down-under-moonan-flats-small-oscale-the-current-project/?p=1981560

I also made a tung and groove style alignment at the layout join end of the sector plate (see photos in the links) this keeps every thing in line and tracks leven no matter how much weight is at the other end of the table that incidentally is not supported as the frame that the sector sits on is only a bit longer than the bearing point to save on weight for transport.

The table will support my weight off center and still turn I tested it as I figured if. It would hold my weight would be no issue with the several thousand of dollars worth of models on it whilst being rotated

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97814-7mm-modelling-down-under-moonan-flats-small-oscale-the-current-project/?p=1991886

Best of luck with the build.

Thanks Chris,

Spookily similar!

I wish I'd seen your "under-running tongue" before I passed the point of no return on that topic, because it is a seriously good idea, but ...... Too late now!

Mine is shorter, at just about 4ft, and coarse-scale is much more tolerant in terms of alignment that fine-scale so I'm optimistic that all will be well.

Kevin

PS: do you have a parrot in your workshop? I'm sure I heard one on the film.

I forgot, he's got a red one too!

7mm Modelling Down Under - Moonan Flats sm...

25th July last year - sorry can't post a link

Actually, the blue one above is about the right size compared to the 7mm model...