Disabling a Ringfield Motor

Removed a/c

I have an old loco from my childhood class 47 from circa 1983. The motor is not the best and I was wondering if I could disable the ringfield motor somehow (which keeps the wheels intact) so I can place it on my DCC layout or is there a ringfield I can buy to place in this older 47.

Regards 

Scott 

Unclip the wires and you will have a dead loco. If you want to push or pull it around as a double header remove the gears. The metal retaining clip can be eased off with a small screwdriver and the gears will then lift off.

Having said that these motors are easy to repair. Take all the gears off give them a good clean replace them and lightly oil them with peco electrolube. Clean all the wheels. Give it a good long run in both directions maybe half an hour each way and you should find an improvement

I had a similar  problem but decided to fit a new motor  the standard wheels are ridiculously undersize but, the Saint/ 28XX tender drive unit is a direct replacement with much larger wheels.  I sourced a spare set of tender wheels to fit to the trailing bogie and the loco now looks quite presentable.

Plenty of room for a decoder, The only trouble is mine is Blue and I model 1957-61 so it seldom gets a run.

Archived