Hornby's financial updates to the Stock Market

Mel_H

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone use Hobbycraft for any of their railway supplies? I occasionally look in on my visits, when buying mounting card or other modelling items, but their stock of railway items seems to vary widely in different stores, but is never extensive. But all Hornby, including Airfix and Humbrol. As the chain would seem an obvious substitute for the loss of local model railway shops in many areas, I wonder why no other brands are stocked, or whether this has ever been tried?

The Reading branch used to be quite good but it was severely curtailed a few years back and I haven't looked for some time however (back when i was last there) rather handily a good range of Woodlands Scenics stuff had survived the big cull.

As for ex-equipment stuff one of the best sources in the old days was the 'electrical equipment' surplus shops in Lisle Street in Soho but they gradually moved into 'consumer electronics' and ceased to be of any real hobby value.  I was lucky in that there was a similar establishment in Reading called 'The Shop On The Bridge' which at one time majored in ex GPO bits and pieces.  It is still going but is no longer 'on' the bridge having moved to the opposite end of the town and is no longer in the surplus business although it can still offer a good range of various electrical related bits & bobs.  I cant recall them ever offering Lancaster bomber switch panels but they did at one time have various components and cabling that came from radar sets.

The Reading branch used to be quite good but it was severely curtailed a few years back and I haven't looked for some time however (back when i was last there) rather handily a good range of Woodlands Scenics stuff had survived the big cull.

Yes, the railway side of Hobbycraft in Reading was curtailed shortly after ModelZone arrived (which of course we don't now have either, apart from WHS - and by the sounds of it, that not for much longer either).

They do seem to be a very well run business catering for a very particular market. I presume that they have investigated the model railway market and found that the margins are not very attractive, that supplies are very variable and unreliable and that the volumes simply do not add up.

Bernard

A few years ago, I pitched a few articles for their own magazine on the basis that, at the time, around a quarter of the store had products aimed at men, but the mag was exclusively female crafts (a rough split but you will understand what I mean). The response can be summed up as a curt, "that's the way we wish it to stay".

For basic materials I rate Hobbycraft. You get paint, glue, card and wood. RTR is less impressive but I'm not to surprised they don't want to hold large stocks of this.

• RMweb Premium

The Hobbycraft shop in Milton Keynes has a decent selection of plastic kits from Airfix, Revell and Tamiya. There kit selection is similar to those old department stores that used to have a model section. Loads of scenic and basic materials, tools, adhesives etc. In fact you could probably meet almost all of your needs there. Very little rail though and no rolling stock as such. My wife goes there a lot and I often come out with a plastic kit.

• Like 1

A few years ago, I pitched a few articles for their own magazine on the basis that, at the time, around a quarter of the store had products aimed at men, but the mag was exclusively female crafts (a rough split but you will understand what I mean). The response can be summed up as a curt, "that's the way we wish it to stay".

For basic materials I rate Hobbycraft. You get paint, glue, card and wood. RTR is less impressive but I'm not to surprised they don't want to hold large stocks of this.

If you are taking as much cash per square foot per hour as they are you can afford to be curt.

I have seen the, very impressive, figures.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I had to smile.  "You can play with this plastic kit whilst I buy all these nice things." 

Ray

There's a lot to be said for it, I notice a lot of other men browse the model kit section while they wait for their better halves to spend all their money on needless, frivolous things.......

Unfortunately there are no Hobbycraft shops in Dumfries and Galloway (nor railway model shops) and for the local authority with what must be the largest land area in the UK that is dissappointing.  My wife has to make do with trips to Wilkinson's for cheap craft items or shop online.  Her activites keep us supplied with both Xmas and Birthday cards - so a valuable activity.  For more difficult to find items we do have 'The Gem Shop' which has an amazing range of haberdashery and fine art supplies.

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately there are no Hobbycraft shops in Dumfries and Galloway (nor railway model shops) and for the local authority with what must be the largest land area in the UK that is dissappointing.  My wife has to make do with trips to Wilkinson's for cheap craft items or shop online.  Her activites keep us supplied with both Xmas and Birthday cards - so a valuable activity.  For more difficult to find items we do have 'The Gem Shop' which has an amazing range of haberdashery and fine art supplies.

Ray

Houghton Hall garden centre has a craft and hobby shop in the basement, they do sell Hornby too, occasionally their bargain bin is worth a look.

Just off the motorway to the east of Carlisle.

Good café for breakfast too!

Cheers,

Keith

Thanks Keith, yes been there (not sure about the chocolate cake).   May be a 'Concession' so need to watch this space?

Houghton Hall garden centre has a craft and hobby shop in the basement, they do sell Hornby too, occasionally their bargain bin is worth a look.

Yes there are other outlets in Carlise but Houghton Hall is south of the Solway - so not Dumfries and Galloway.

Regards

Ray

One of my railway modelling ambitions is to aquire the famous RAF bomb release panel to build into a layout. If anyone has a spare, let me know...

There is one of the old school type spares/surplus shops in Lincoln. Can't now remember what it's called and I think it's highly unlikely they have an internet prescence. Seems to be run by quite an elderley fella with help from mates. I was, and still am, looking for a 4 way GPO type jack plug. They had a 3 way attached to something, closest I've come to seeing one in years. There's loads of ex aircraft dials and such on display in the window, wouldn't be totally surprised if they had a bomb release panel in a backroom :sungum:

It's on the hill on the way from the station to the cathedral, the narrow street is called The Strait. It's nearly opposite B & H models who do have an extensive railway range.

In Cambridge there is Gees on Mill Road., on the RHS just before the railway bridge heading out of town. Been there years, the original owner "looked" Greek, with a large nose. My mate/best man at my wedding was into electronics as a hobby, came from Dublin, and decided to move back He suggested we had a day in London perusing this sort of shop around Edgware Road and Leicester Square. We found a shop near Soho, looked very similar on the outside, full of electronic junk inside (just like Gees), and the proprietor was a Greek looking fella with a big nose! When we came out, we looked up at the name......Gees....must have been a relative!

Anyway, I believe the Cambridge shop is still there, run by the guy who used to be the old fella's young assistant; may even have been his son?

Gees of Cambridge, 94a Mill Road, Cambridge, CB1 2BD. (01223 358019).

Stewart

• Like 1

Good café for breakfast too!

Cheers,

Keith

Houghton Hall Hornby concession is closing on Wednesday of next week. Also the cafe is closed for refurbishment

• RMweb Premium

I love the instruction arrow 'on' - 'off'.  Pretty fundamental.

Ray

Presumably made so, in case of use by personnel from the forces of our American allies - they have a tendency to deliberately mount on-off switches upside-down, and to assume that we would do too.

It's not an entirely daft idea - to switch off lots of switches quickly, it is said that it is quicker to do so by using a downward motion of the hands - hence up-on, down-off.

Edited by DIW

• RMweb Premium

Presumably made so, in case of use by personnel from the forces of our American allies - they have a tendency to deliberately mount on-off switches upside-down, and to assume that we would do too.

It's not an entirely daft idea - to switch off lots of switches quickly, it is said that it is quicker to do so by using a downward motion of the hands - hence up-on, down-off.

Indeed, something similar to red and green run indication lights. In some countries green indicates the machine is running, green for go, in others it means stop as green is safe. Red for run as red is for danger, or else red for stop as per traffic lights. If you don't realise which philosophy has been applied things can go horribly wrong.

• Like 1

Indeed, something similar to red and green run indication lights. In some countries green indicates the machine is running, green for go, in others it means stop as green is safe. Red for run as red is for danger, or else red for stop as per traffic lights. If you don't realise which philosophy has been applied things can go horribly wrong.

The thing about the switch down for on in UK is it's inconsistency, for example in consumer units the circuit breakers are up for on as have all the circuit breakers I've worked with been, so why are domestic switches different?.

On the green go /stop some manufacturers aren't even consistent, during the build of one ship we had a disagreement with the computer control manufacturer who wanted to use the green off / safe philosophy whereas we wanted the green for run (to match the other ships). I still think we only won that one after we pointed out that the switchboards made by another division of the same company used the philosophy we wanted and it would be nice if everything was the same!

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

The thing about the switch down for on in UK is it's inconsistency, for example in consumer units the circuit breakers are up for on as have all the circuit breakers I've worked with been, so why are domestic switches different?.

On the green go /stop some manufacturers aren't even consistent, during the build of one ship we had a disagreement with the computer control manufacturer who wanted to use the green off / safe philosophy whereas we wanted the green for run (to match the other ships). I still think we only won that one after we pointed out that the switchboards made by another division of the same company used the philosophy we wanted and it would be nice if everything was the same!

Interesting. Just to add one more variation - on Mk IV coaches, for the air con panel, it did not matter which switch you pressed or set, the indicator only ever showed yellow......(for fault).

• RMweb Premium

Or on-screen buttons that change state.

When the button says "play" instead of "pause" - is that because it's now playing, or because it's paused so pressing the button will make it play?

It's quite possible that in this case there is a convention which all programs use, but if so I can never remember which way round it is.

As for switches, for some reason I have no problem remembering to look the other way when crossing roads in the US, but upside down light switches throw me. The number of times I've turned a light on as I've left a room...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Same in this country, I work in some very expensive computer facilities... next to the security doors is a green knob to press to unlock the safety doors and exit.

All to often next to is is a huge emergency green shut down switch which cuts power for the facility.

And then the sign, "To exit, use the green button".

One lets you out, the other shuts down a £500mn facility and gets your name on TV.

Edited by adb968008