Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Petition - Parliament To Sit On Saturdays

Tim Dubya

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should MP's Work at Weekends?

• Yes
    • No

• RMweb Premium

Petition

"Parliament to sit on Saturdays which should be a "normal working day" for MPs.

Doctors have been told that Saturdays are part of the "normal working" week so that the Government can avoid paying them extra to do so. MPs should lead by example and meet on a Saturday too. With their new 6 day week MPs would get more Parliamentary work done. There should be no extra pay for this.

I am a GP and although not a junior Dr, believe that Politicians are at least as important if not more important than the people they lead and who they set policies for. As "we are all in it together", The policies and rules they set should apply to them as equally as for any members of the workforce.

As there is never enough time for Parliament to sit and weigh up all the pressing and important matters of Government, I think Parliament should sit 6 days/week with Saturday being part of their normal working week as it is proposed for other workers".

Dr. Ivan Bertram Maxwell Ratnayake

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/120753

I think it only fair that MP's fall in line with Doctors (and all other Emergency Services) and "work" at the weekends too.

Quote (ParkeNd):

"The idea of medical professionals hiding behind a trade union to avoid having to work the same as managers in industry is appalling. If the junior doctors are really contemplating leaving then perhaps they should get on their bikes and let us have some new blood that joins knowing that weekend working is part of the job - just as for middle managers in industry - who don't get paid a penny if they have to go in out of hours". 

Personally I would suggest that PMQ's be moved to alternate Saturdays in the House (and still be held weekdays on the other weeks), enabling MP's to hold constituency surgeries 9am - 5pm on the other Saturdays (for those of us that work Mon - Fri and are too knackered to attend weekday evening surgeries - if you MP holds them then).

Please Discuss.

PS: I don't see this showing any political bias - as ALL MP's should work weekends.

Cheers

Edit:  I see we have a few MP RMwebbers... ;)

• RMweb Gold

I have duly signed the petition although if - as i'm sure it will  - secures 100,000s signatures I think I can already quote what is likely to be said in the ensuing Parliamentary debate and, within 10%, the size of the MPs majority voting against it  (I do wonder what they're actually doing to justify their latest pay rise because if it's anything like our local slimeball of an MP, who has sold our new hospital down the river so that it has finished up without any beds, I would suggest that it's the square root of sweet fa apart from continued self-agrandisement).

• RMweb Gold

I have duly signed the petition although if - as i'm sure it will  - secures 100,000s signatures I think I can already quote what is likely to be said in the ensuing Parliamentary debate and, within 10%, the size of the MPs majority voting against it  (I do wonder what they're actually doing to justify their latest pay rise because if it's anything like our local slimeball of an MP, who has sold our new hospital down the river so that it has finished up without any beds, I would suggest that it's the square root of sweet fa apart from continued self-agrandisement).

I think we can probably predict the margin in any parliamentary vote on the issue within 1%. :jester:

<Sarcasm mode ON>

Whilst the petition is laudable, if parliament works anywhere as "well" as congress does here in the US - I've been transplanted since the '70s so don't have a current working knowledge as to how "well" parliament is working :O , it wouldn't make any difference if they worked 7-days a week, they'd still not accomplish anything and simply have more time to spend throwing their dummies out of the pram! :jester:

Can I suggest that it would be better that rather than INCREASING the time mp's have to destroy the Country that we in fact REDUCE it?

Disband Parliament completely and put me in as Lord Protector.

I will soon have all the problems solved. And before any of you plebeians dare to challenge my suggestion, I warn you that you will be first to be judged.

I will give you an idea of how I will improve the government system with an example of how I will conduct my expenses.

1. It will be LAW that my expenses will be made fully available for inspection by any of my subjects at any time of any day- we must be a transparent and democratic dictatorship.

2. It will be LAW that anyone asking to see any expense accounts will he hanged, drawn, quartered and fed to the camels.

NEVER AGAIN will be have any claims of "dodgy expenses."

• RMweb Premium

What has this got to do with model railways or railways in general?

It's what Wheeltappers is for, I'm on the sherbert at the moment but hopefully someone can come along and explain the connection.

Where can I sign the anti-petition petition?

All a load of cods-wallop! (I can think of better descriptives but they all get censored - fortunately, for those of weak disposition.

First on the subject of this petition - which I suspect breaks RMWeb's no politics rule (though that has been broken time and time again on that other thread) - I don't want my MP in parliament at the weekend - or for that matter every day of the week. I want him working hard in his constituency.

Drs working on weekends - absolutely, but let's be realistic: it should be when there is a genuine demand by their patrons. All that expensive equipment only used 4.5 days a week and only 9:00 till 16:30. I work 24/7 every day/night is the same - no special "days" and I haven't had a 12% pay rise in basic pay for, well never, - not in the heady days of the 80's.

My GP works 3 days a week, the other 2 days on committees. The local surgery now opens for special appointments on Saturdays and some late evenings. When I last saw him (no for one of the ultra short appointments, but on a social meeting) he was relating how little the public actually make use of it, they seem to have got the message to call the rather useless '111' and find their own way to A&E. (Why queue twice, philosophy).

The problem is more about attracting THE RIGHT people to the profession. Too many students without the dedication required, attracted more by high salary potential rather than service.

The problem is more about attracting THE RIGHT people to the profession. Too many students without the dedication required, attracted more by high salary potential rather than service

ALL politicians should have several years work experience in a professional role, be it Doctor, Engineer, Senior civil servant, Accountant, whatever (we need a mix of talent and experience). The mob we have now (and for the last umpteen years) are a joke.

Current energy secretary has a degree in History - (special subject "The dark ages" no doubt !!!!).

And with that I'll leave the "no go" subject of politics, hoping I've not gone too far.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

ALL politicians should have several years work experience in a professional role, be it Doctor, Engineer, Senior civil servant, Accountant, whatever (we need a mix of talent and experience).

Brit15

I sort of agree, but would broaden it. Nobody should be an MP unless they have had any job not connected with politics for at least five years; be it doctor, solicitor, bus driver or whatever. Not necessarily a 'professional'.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how long before this thread gets locked... ;)

For my tuppence, I think everyone who works at a weekend should get some kind of compensation for that disruption. I don't care whether they're Junior Doctors, GPs, MPs, shop assistants, train drivers, computer programmers, etc, etc.

If they get a day off in the week, that's only partial compensation, so the weekend pay should be 1.5 x normal. If they are working at the weekend as overtime, then 2 x normal. If they do any overtime beyond 8 hours in a normal working day, at least 1.5 x normal (and all unpaid overtime should be illegal). And minimum wage should have to be the proper living wage (as per the Living Wage Foundation, not Osborne's cheating National Living Wage).

But...

Companies, once they are at least paying the proper living wage and paying a suitable* tax amount, should be able to make as much money as they like, without fear of windfall or other sneaky taxes.

But...

This is all getting political.

ALL politicians should have several years work experience in a professional role, be it Doctor, Engineer, Senior civil servant, Accountant, whatever (we need a mix of talent and experience). The mob we have now (and for the last umpteen years) are a joke.

Current energy secretary has a degree in History - (special subject "The dark ages" no doubt !!!!).

And with that I'll leave the "no go" subject of politics, hoping I've not gone too far.

Brit15

Most appear to have come from backgrounds where they have failed to make the cut in either the legal or financial professions. Although incompetence/criminality appears to be the ultimate qualifier in the latter at least in the West - folding towels appears to provide good experience for a chancellor...

Archived