Sarum Town (formally N gauge home layout)

shanks522

That is certainly an improvement to the 33 a modification I think I'll carry out on mine.

Hi Graham,

It's looking really good? Can I ask how you have done the couplings on the crompton? And any better pictures as it makes a vast difference to the look...

Kind regards

Steve

Yeah no problem, I'll take a few photos later when i do the dutch one.

Graham.

• Like 2

For those interested in the Coupling adjustment here's how i did it.

First off remove the bogie from the Loco, gently pull it away and it will release from its mounting.

post-6774-0-00098700-1483023478_thumb.jpg

Then take the rapido coupling out and with tweezers or a screwdriver remove the inner box from the NEM.

post-6774-0-98403900-1483023523_thumb.jpg

Next cut away the lower part of the box with either a scalpel or dremel, and file flat. The first picture shows in red what i have cut off.

post-6774-0-79197900-1483023507_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-23518000-1483023502_thumb.jpg

With that out i simply glued a short Dapol Easi shunt coupling to what is left of the box, (The top section) with a two part super glue, the activator speeds up the process and is dry and useable in 10 seconds. 

The glue i use.

post-6774-0-68308900-1483023482_thumb.jpg

Coupling glued to the bogie.

post-6774-0-74193900-1483023495_thumb.jpg

Once thats done simply clip the bogie back into the loco, lovely jubbly!

post-6774-0-23829900-1483023490_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Graham.

Edited by shanks522
  • Like 6

Hello all,

Bit of a productive day today.

Managed to pop down to Invicta models this morning and get some DCC chips for a few locos, I now have the weedkiller 20's both done and one in a 47 good to go.

I also spent an hour or so playing with CV's and so far nothing has blown up!

Also did a few boring wiring jobs that have been outstanding, and a little scenery.

Nice surprise yesterday, Met up with my brother and my xmas/birthday present was this,

post-6774-0-08628300-1483043804_thumb.jpg

Very pleased indeed, I reckon it'l look great on a rake of NSE mk2's.

Once she was chipped it was time to join the others on the Depot.

post-6774-0-79204200-1483043810_thumb.jpg

The one cock up of the day was when yours truly was cleaning the track, being a little vigorous with the track rubber i managed to completely wipe out the PLS on the exit from the depot, looks like i need a new one!

The red circle is where it used to be!

post-6774-0-91360400-1483043797_thumb.png

I'l start on some video's tomorrow.

cheers

Graham.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year to all,

I've been doing a little work on the layout this week, mainly pushing forward with ballasting and scenery, today though i fitted the rear back scene.

Backscene in place.

post-6774-0-08511800-1483909196_thumb.jpg

Cut outs to the rear to give access to the storage sidings.

post-6774-0-49809600-1483909189_thumb.jpg

Also bought my first 3d printed wagons from Shapeways, 5 Warwell wagons designed by a fellow RMWebber alibuchan.

I need to get appropriate paint and transfers but quite looking forward to my first MOD train in service, need to source some tanks now!

post-6774-0-21992500-1483909183_thumb.jpg

Graham.

• Like 12

Happy new year to all,

I've been doing a little work on the layout this week, mainly pushing forward with ballasting and scenery, today though i fitted the rear back scene.

Backscene in place.

attachicon.gifbackscene in place.jpg

Cut outs to the rear to give access to the storage sidings.

attachicon.gifCut outs in backscene .jpg

Also bought my first 3d printed wagons from Shapeways, 5 Warwell wagons designed by a fellow RMWebber alibuchan.

I need to get appropriate paint and transfers but quite looking forward to my first MOD train in service, need to source some tanks now!

attachicon.gifWarwell wagons plain.jpg

Graham.

Looking great.

Just don't call them tanks, AFV is the term.

A tank would be out of gauge.

There is the PG Models vehicles which also provide some weight to the wagons.

You will need to put them on a diet to try and slim the weight down, the Chassis and hull areas can have quite a good amount removed. as it is on the bottoms and covered by tracks, if you pick the right models, it is well hidden. I will see if I can find pictures of any of my Large tanks I did to run on mine.

Alistair

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Graham the layout is really starting to look the business and those warwells look promising, hopefully Bachmann will be shrinking their newly announced VEA next year to add to your MOD train.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps,

I'm no expert when it comes to military traffic but from the little research I've done it seems the Scimitar AVF would suit? 

Looking great.
Just don't call them tanks, AFV is the term.
A tank would be out of gauge.

Thanks for the correct terminology Martin. 

If anyone knows any different vehicles that would do the job please do let me know.

cheers

Graham.

Edited by shanks522

• RMweb Gold

Hi Graham,

All the PG Models models are really good. But they are pewter, which can be a little top-heavy on some wagons (although the effect is minimised on Warwells because of the well!)

If you can wait a little the NGS has commissioned PG models to produce some new exclusive models that will be cast in resin, so they aren't so heavy.

The first two are the Scimitar LEP (Life Extended Programme) version, which dates from 2000, and Alvis Saxon troop carrier, which saw service up to the start of this decade I think. These are the test samples.

post-420-0-48750600-1483997849_thumb.jpg

The kits are mostly resin, though the tracks and any fine parts like gun barrels will continue to be in pewter.

post-420-0-04523000-1483997832_thumb.jpg

Of course, the main range of PG Models items will continue to be available in pewter though I am hoping if the resin models are a success he may decide to offer some of his own versions in resin.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 7

Hello all,

Little bit of work on the back scene.

I didn't want the side pieces obscuring the view so i've tapered them down to the front.

post-6774-0-38908800-1484328436_thumb.jpg

I'll be using an ID back scene on this so want it as smooth as possible, I don't want square 90 degree corners, instead i have used a 21mm scotia moulding with the edges cut back, this gives an accurate curved corner, it needs feathering in with some fine filler but should look good when the back scene is glued into place. 

post-6774-0-90559000-1484328430_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-58235800-1484328446_thumb.jpg

Filler is in and drying just awaiting its first coat of paint. 

Graham.

• Like 8

Evening all,

Small disaster today, I've spent the last couple of days filling and painting ready to receive the back scene.

All prepared and ready to go, back scene was glued into place then i managed to tear it, that was the first problem, next up i cut my finger and managed to get blood on it! suffice to say it was promptly removed and binned! new one is on order.

Graham.

Evening all,

Small disaster today, I've spent the last couple of days filling and painting ready to receive the back scene.

All prepared and ready to go, back scene was glued into place then i managed to tear it, that was the first problem, next up i cut my finger and managed to get blood on it! suffice to say it was promptly removed and binned! new one is on order.

Graham.

What shop sells new fingers then Graham?

Paul

• Like 1

Hello all,

After the complete cock up of the first backscene fitment i put the layout to one side and ordered another.

Once it turned up i had another go, this time much better but i'm not 100% happy, there were two creases that didn't dry out so i've sliced them and re glued it. 

I'm not overly sure if i like it yet but i suppose it adds a bit of depth. 

The before shot in undercoat.

post-6774-0-66002000-1485201513_thumb.jpg

And now.

post-6774-0-67477500-1485201518_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham.

post-6774-0-66002000-1485201513_thumb.jpg

post-6774-0-67477500-1485201518_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

Once again modelling time is quite precious, With this in mind and a very nice chat with Steve Farmer at the Tonbridge show i'm trying to do little and often.

I've started a builders yard, very early days but i have a fair idea in mind of what i want it to look like.

post-6774-0-09005400-1487619743_thumb.jpg

I'm waiting on some more bits and pieces but hopefully i can turn this round quite quickly. 

Graham.

• Like 9

Hi,

It looks like Steve is getting a bit of a reputation for helping people get their modeling mojo going again! That's you, Richard Coleman and me he has kicked into action. In his words "little and often".

The builders yard looks good.

Carl

• Like 2