RMweb

Does anyone know anything about this layout?

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jack,

Yes - I know this layout....

Was built privately but now in the hands of Blyth and Tyne MRC.

http://www.btmrs.co.uk/california-surfline.html

It's been to Scotland on a couple of occasions - but I didn't get photos.

Thanks

The top photo looks more like HO than N

I've been racking my brains since I saw the photo earlier as I'm sure my layout was near it at the NMRA Convention in Kegworth in 2006, but I think I was also opposite Ian's "Fort Myers". So is there another similar round layout...? I've been waiting in apprehension until I could check the magazine library at home, but can't find a list for that event.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, its Stacks Fork at the Alton show about 8 -  10 years ago. I remember double heading a couple of Bulleid Light Pacifics on the layout at that show!!

The layout was DCC control.

Its not my layout but Dans (aka Warbonnet). in the photo is our late friend Graham Stenning and still very much around (and very round - hes standing over me watching me type this!)  Mike.

Dan sold it to another NMRABR member who resides in Northampton. Not sure if its ever been exhibited since.

Dan built this based on the idea of my N scale California Coast (which now resides in the North East)

Evening all

Haven't logged on for a while so only just seen this.

This was my first US outline show layout "Stacks Fork" which was based on the Santa Fe's Raton Pass line on the New Mexico / Colorado border. Track plan was a loop running the length of the scenic section dropping back to single track to exit under a highway underpass at one end and a tunnel (as a loose representation of Raton Summit tunnel) at the other. Inside the scenic section were 3 storage roads. With an outside diameter of 10ft this did allow so decent length trains inc a full length Southwest Chief circa 1995.

As well as nicking ideas from Ian's Cal Coast I was also inspired by an HO layout called Circle Canyon that was built by a couple of members of Sutton & Carshalton club (IIRC)

For anyone interested there are some more pics on my Flikr channel and some vids on YouTube.

Dan

Yes, this did go to a Kegworth convention. We had a top spot in the corner of the bar so we may well have been a little DUI while operating ;-)

I've been racking my brains since I saw the photo earlier as I'm sure my layout was near it at the NMRA Convention in Kegworth in 2006, but I think I was also opposite Ian's "Fort Myers". So is there another similar round layout...? I've been waiting in apprehension until I could check the magazine library at home, but can't find a list for that event.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, this did go to a Kegworth convention. We had a top spot in the corner of the bar so we may well have been a little DUI while operating ;-)

No chance of that considering what hotel bars have on tap!

Despite Grahams gloomy pose in front of a camera (I have many like that) he was actually quite cheerful most of the time

I seem to remember we had the odd one or two during the day. I def think we were for the after hours ops sessions after hitting the decent pub in town......

No chance of that considering what hotel bars have on tap!

Despite Grahams gloomy pose in front of a camera (I have many like that) he was actually quite cheerful most of the time

Archived