Dunoon Sidings. A beginners attempt at P4

I feel I should point out that the mechanical interlocking was a joke... Interesting that someone would build it though. A full size mechanical interlocking is a complex and fiddly thing, I dread to think what a miniature one would look like...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have a look at Megapoint controllers for micro servers, would be cheaper than Cobalts. Or if you are good at electronics, MERG do a self build kit.

I was trying to tell you about servos here, but my typing let me down. MERG or Megapoints are alternative controllers

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401040191890

Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered one of these from Ebay. Later on, I'll figure out how to program (if relevant) or wire up the motor. For now, I will have one motor to test. I'm also going to order one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-Servo-Tester-3CH-CCPM-Meter-ESC-Speed-Controller-Checker-Futaba-Towerpro-/221230011228?hash=item338256135c:g:fpgAAOSwQTVWAHcj and see if I can find a power supply or wire to connect to a power supply for testing the motor.

I feel I should point out that the mechanical interlocking was a joke... Interesting that someone would build it though. A full size mechanical interlocking is a complex and fiddly thing, I dread to think what a miniature one would look like...

Yeah, I've seen one at Castlemaine in Victoria (It's a 70? plus lever box) and it's a hell of a big box! I couldn't even begin to understand half the workings underneath it. 

Peter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-Servo-Tester-3CH-ECS-Consistency-Speed-Controler-Power-Channels-CCPM-KK-/251878977533?hash=item3aa5282ffd:g:Xp0AAOSwBLlVBCGQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122040458260

I'm thinking of ordering these two using my old 5V power supply from the lights for Dunoon to power it. Any suggestions?

Peter

• RMweb Gold

No joke. Several modellers have built working mechanical interlocking lever frames, and there are kits available.

This book explains how to design and build them:

http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/railway/uk/trax-3-signalling-and-lever-frames.htm

Martin.

• Like 2

On the servo control use the Burnell models printed circuit board at about $9 ea and the servos can be had from HongKong for about 2.50aud landed! (Hobbyking is a supplier I used a few years ago)

I prefer to use them for signal control rather than points as I have never really figured out the frog switching other than using a Micro switch!

Yes you will need to use a micro switch which are cheap and extremely reliable.

The micro switches can be glued to the servo, or screwed to the base board using part of the out of sight linkage between the servo and the turn out to operate the switch.

I believe this has been covered on RM web else where.

You can get circuit boards that will act as an interface between more than one servo at a time independently.

I do not know what is available to you in Australia.

Gordon A

Gordon A

Well I have purchased the power unit to plug into the controller unit when I buy one. Currently, having spent all of the very little money I had on the motor, power unit and a new watch, I don't have sufficient funds to buy a servo testing unit. This will be purchased when funds become available, and I can then have a play around with the motor. I may even plug it into Cudgee Sidings to have a play around using proper points.

The cheapest control unit I can find is this one - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Multi-Servo-Tester-3CH-ECS-Consistency-Speed-Controler-Power-Channels-CCPM-KK-/251878977533?hash=item3aa5282ffd:g:Xp0AAOSwBLlVBCGQ

Peter

So far I have - 

http://www.ebay.com....tm/401040191890 - Motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122040458260?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - Power supply unit. This will be plugged into an old 5V supply I had to run the lighting on old Dunoon.

Well I've decided to go down the Servo route. I will need to buy the servo circuits from Brunel, however given I can buy servos for under $3, the control unit is $7.50, and I already have the power supply, all I need is 7 more Servos, 7 PCB units and 8 microswitches (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Microswitch-15A-V-156-1C25-pin-plunger-snap-action-SPDT-Micro-Switch-WS-/321705842639?hash=item4ae72997cf:g:eboAAOSwPhdVEpD-)

Considering total cost per turnout is $10.73 ($2.23 for the motor, $7.50 for the circuit board and $1 for the microswitch), and a Peco motor costs $17 from my local hobby shop, plus another $8 for the microswitch, I can get 2 turnouts controlled for the price of one, and I will be able to sell off the peco motors even though they are partly wired, and the microswitches. If I sold the microswitches and motors for half price, I'd still get my money back for the new servos and more for track and rolling stock.

Peter

• Like 1

Well I've decided to go down the Servo route. I will need to buy the servo circuits from Brunel, however given I can buy servos for under $3, the control unit is $7.50, and I already have the power supply, all I need is 7 more Servos, 7 PCB units and 8 microswitches (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Microswitch-15A-V-156-1C25-pin-plunger-snap-action-SPDT-Micro-Switch-WS-/321705842639?hash=item4ae72997cf:g:eboAAOSwPhdVEpD-)

Considering total cost per turnout is $10.73 ($2.23 for the motor, $7.50 for the circuit board and $1 for the microswitch), and a Peco motor costs $17 from my local hobby shop, plus another $8 for the microswitch, I can get 2 turnouts controlled for the price of one, and I will be able to sell off the peco motors even though they are partly wired, and the microswitches. If I sold the microswitches and motors for half price, I'd still get my money back for the new servos and more for track and rolling stock.

Peter

Now I think about it, I will only need 6 more motors and 5 microswitches - I can use one motor and one microswitch for the crossover at the end of the platform. Due to there being no need to cross-board joints, I can motorise one turnout, and have the other controlled via point rodding from the first, in the same way that I may use to have a catch point coming onto the main line however I am yet to decide on this.

This way, i save $10 on motors/switches which can then be spent on rolling stock conversions. However I may eventually motorise the turnout as well and just have the rodding for decoration.

Peter

Ahh you found the Brunell circuit! They are easy to build and solder etc. now they do or did need a switch to act as the fire control. They also have some laser cut mounts. Still cheaper than pecos you might want to get some servo extension cable too. One thing to be aware of is the power source. It has to be a smooth dc supply any type of wave form the servos start to twitch! I have used 4 batteries which solved the issue! You don't need much power at all.

Ahh you found the Brunell circuit! They are easy to build and solder etc. now they do or did need a switch to act as the fire control. They also have some laser cut mounts. Still cheaper than pecos you might want to get some servo extension cable too. One thing to be aware of is the power source. It has to be a smooth dc supply any type of wave form the servos start to twitch! I have used 4 batteries which solved the issue! You don't need much power at all.

Alright. I have a 5V DC power supply which i just plug into the mains which I previously used for the lights on original Dunoon and that worked fine, so I'll have a go at using that and if it doesn't work I'll use the batteries. I don't think they have the switch anymore, I had a look at them yesterday on the website.

Peter

EDIT: I need to find the supply first...

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia

Having been away on school camp all week, I have now ordered a second Servo motor, 10 microswitches and a Servo motor testing unit. All of the items should have arrived by September 10, as they are coming from Hong Kong with free delivery.

On another note, someone twisted my wrist during an activity on camp, so sadly I will not be able to do any modelling for a week or so, possibly more.

Peter

A twisted arm does not prevent you from planning and researching.

I hope your arm heals quickly.

Gordon A

Yep. I'm currently planning the buildings for Bonshaw. Mostly stone, as having been to the area where Bonshaw Tower is (north of Carlisle), most of the buildings are stone.

Peter

• Like 2

Well I now have 8 Servo motors, plus 10x 10cm long plug extensions, a power converter (2 wire 5V DC to 3 wire Servo plug) and a testing unit. So all I need to do now is wait for them to arrive! In the meanwhile, I can work on designing the buildings which I am planning to scratchbuild with one or two exceptions at first, most likely the station and goods shed being temporary kit-built structures.

Hopefully by the time the Servos and bits have arrived, I'll have cork on the layout ready for track laying.

Peter

• Like 1

Well the first thing arrived for the Servos today - the power unit. Basically, it can be connected to a power supply between 5 and 23V, has a capacitor and pcb to turn it into 5V 3A, and then has wires to a Servo plug. This way I can solder it to the 5V supply I have, and plug it into the Servo testing units and I don't have to modify anything.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Having been away on school camp all week, I have now ordered a second Servo motor, 10 microswitches and a Servo motor testing unit. All of the items should have arrived by September 10, as they are coming from Hong Kong with free delivery.

On another note, someone twisted my wrist during an activity on camp, so sadly I will not be able to do any modelling for a week or so, possibly more.

Peter

Twisted wrist on camp - that has to be one of the most original excuses I have heard yet for putting off modelling.   It also makes me very old!

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Yep. Had a physio appointment on Wednesday. I get the wrist brace off today but have to have a thumb-splint on for another two weeks :(

Twisted wrist on camp - that has to be one of the most original excuses I have heard yet for putting off modelling.   It also makes me very old!

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Have you thought about your cable runs and colour codes so that trouble shooting can be made easier?

Gordon A 

All the servos are standard - black for negative, red for positive and yellow for the signal. 

Peter

Servo test unit arrived today. All I need now is the motors! One of the motors is estimated to arrive on Monday, so will have fun testing it then! Really happy with the Servo Tester, it arrived 11 days before estimated arrival! Nice and small too!

I will be doing kit-building and R-T-R Modification demo's for the BRMA stand at the Caufield expo on Sunday from opening to around 1:00pm, so if anyone here is going say hi!

AND I have my first BRMA meeting tomorrow as well!

Going out tonight to buy supplies for the expo.

Peter

• Like 1

We look forward to meeting you Peter. I guess you might have a bit of time heading to SRmans place.... I live not far from him! I may even bring a P4 loco or 2 for you to have a look at! SRman runs OO and I run a OO but build to P4 when time allows.

• Like 1

We look forward to meeting you Peter. I guess you might have a bit of time heading to SRmans place.... I live not far from him! I may even bring a P4 loco or 2 for you to have a look at! SRman runs OO and I run a OO but build to P4 when time allows.

It's about 20 minutes for me. I'm about to leave. 

See you there

Peter