Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Simon.  Yes, that is quite a handsome loco, not a bad kit to build either.

Now, the 42xx,  a small problem has reared it's head, most of the chassis etches are missing, so it's been reboxed and awaiting resolution.

In the meantime, an improvement in the weather recently has enabled the completion of the painting of 5637.  it's off to the new home tomorrow.

post-150-0-51207300-1451997945.jpg

post-150-0-58383900-1451997961.jpg

post-150-0-59945300-1451997989.jpg

• Like 11

I've just taken my first steps into O gauge after getting a commission to do a G5. I've got a couple of wagons & a lanky 2-4-2 for myself. I've been doing 4mm but l&y is better catered for in 7mm si that highflyer is high up to do.

Hi Simon. Hope you enjoy the step up to 7mm I think it's the perfect scale to work in. (having said that, I do not have space to run 7mm having only 19' long garage for it and got bored with such a short run.)

Hence the HO scale in the garage giving a decent run.

Anyway, just completing a Gladiator LNWR Parcels Van.  I have added the gas piping to the roof, not supplied in the kit. Other than that all the etches fitted very well.  The tanks for the underside are not supplied, I used brass tubing for them.

Here it is almost finished.

post-150-0-07880600-1452362460.jpg

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  Moving on with another build (after some repeat builds) is the JLTRT 42xx. Laurie supplied the missing etches from the kit quickly, excellent service.

Here is the build so far. The only issue so far, as mentioned on the instruction sheets, the cylinders required a bit of chopping to allow the pony truck to swing. Otherwise, it's going well.

post-150-0-21794400-1453449992.jpg

post-150-0-82144000-1453450021.jpg

• Like 10

Hi all.  Jumping back to the 42xx, all the soldering is almost done.  This kit is not quite as good as the 56xx from the same original designer though.

The lack of written instructions is causing some issues by having to back track a bit by unsoldering to get to some parts. (I do have another one of these to build so that will be a much better experience.)

I do love the resin firebox/boiler/firebox though. That is a brilliant improvement to the kit.

post-150-0-09339600-1453755449.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all.  Almost there with the 42xx.  Had a bit of a problem in a number of places, (unlike the 56xx just off the bench which was a treat to build)

The biggest issue was the ridiculous safety valve cover. (The photo explains) Also the s/box saddle was too small and the tanks sit too high.  So it was a case of raising the saddle and reshape the curve to blend in with the raised box it sit in,and tweak the tanks.

It took a lot of grinding and filing to get it somewhere near.

Onwards and forwards now.

post-150-0-17289200-1454002940.jpg

post-150-0-78244200-1454002954.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 3

Hi Ken,

I also had problems with the smoke box saddle casting, Laurie was very good in sending a couple of replacements by return of post. But even the replacements weren't up to much so in the end I scratch built a saddle.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn. It's a shame that a few issues and a bad saddle and safety valve cover casting spoils the excellent work on the resin casting.

Edited by jazz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  At last the weather has allowed a painting session.  The 42xx is now ready for dispatch.  Not sorry to see one go. (The cab windows are to be attached by the painter when he has glazed them and finished the painting)  

Now on with a decent kit.

post-150-0-09685000-1454768363.jpg

post-150-0-56372800-1454768391.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Steve.  Well, it is originally a Malcolm Mitchell kit and I'm not a fan those. Having said that, as stated above the 56xx from the small origins was a lovely kit.

What's next you ask. Judging by the coming years activities, i.e. getting mother settled into the residential home high and the possibility of her sad demise, it is your kit and a Princess Royal class side by side on the bench. 

Hi all.   Now onwards with one of my favourite kits manufacturers, Scorpio.   A number of the supplied castings have been changed for this build.

So far all is going to plan.  I am using the supplied compensation instead of my usual springing of the centre axle.  The compensation beams were relatively easy to fit using the oil soaked paper between the frames and beam trick then careful with the soldering to prevent it all locking up.

The chassis so far.

post-150-0-81505800-1454879677.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

Onwards with the Scorpio 97xx chassis.  The dummy valve gear and other parts make for a tight fit and some deft handling go the solder iron.  As usual I like to use high wattage so great care is needed to avoid ending up with a great blob of white metal. 

Here it is so far.

post-150-0-38036400-1455113474.jpg

• Like 9

Hi JB.  Yes, I have chemical blacking but not been impressed, unless I am not using it correctly of course.

I have no trouble with the oily paper,  I just wash the work with degrees fluid and soapy water when finished the soldering session.

Spent all day punching out 2 million rivets, dotty eyed right now.  Should be able to start assembling the body tomorrow, fingers crossed.

• Like 3

Hi all.  Well, yesterday did not go to plan but have made up for that today.  It was 2009 when I last built one of these Scorpio 97xx kits and had forgotten how fiddly they are. The amount of rivets to punch and then the very tricky bending and adjustments to get the tanks correct.  The is still some small adjustments required the get the tanks and smokebox to sit correctly.

The bends on the bunker were another area of a lot of fiddling the get is to sit right with corner castings.

Thankfully the rest of the build should be plain sailing by comparison.

The third photo is the one I was building in 2009 and this one should look like that soon.

post-150-0-29180000-1455472523.jpg

post-150-0-73750600-1455472550.jpg

post-150-0-00407900-1455472564.jpg

• Like 7

Hi again.   I've been able to get back on the WB again and a bit more progress on the 97xx class.  I have some below the footplate pip work to fabricate and fit. The bunker rear to add detail to and the cab interior and cab roof to complete and that sees the body completed.  `the onwards with chassis completion.    It's a very busy little loco with an amazing amount of detail.  The kit is showing it's age a bit as the castings require a fair bit of work the tidy up.  I am still fond of Scorpio kits though.

post-150-0-14995700-1456001632.jpg

• Like 7

The shape is spot on, I knew the castings were an issue that's why I thought it best to change out some of the most noticeable ones. The new chimney looks great as does the safety bonnet. Do you mind if I share this picture in my Ranelagh bridge thread?

Hi all.   The 97xx is now ready for the big clean up making it ready for painting.   She has a MSC MT Helical 2 stage gearbox and Cannon motor.  Also managed to squeeze plunger pickups.  Quite a chunky little loco she is too.

Anyway, she is being put to one side for a while whilst I complete the Gladiator Princess Royal class I started before building the 97xx.

post-150-0-22552700-1456337129.jpg

post-150-0-39624500-1456337101.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Steve, you are very welcome.

Blandford, there are coil axle springs on the inside faces of the cab splashers,  the reverser goes to the rear of them.

(At least that's how the kit & drawings shows the arrangement)  There seems to be quite a few variations for the 97xx.

Edited by jazz

Hi all.  Now it's on with the Princess Royal class.  Gladiator kit and a very nice kit it is.  No problems with the chassis so far.  Very smooth running with no adjustments needed.  Wouldn't it be lovely if all kits went like this.

post-150-0-23419500-1456942051.jpg

• Like 9