Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Beginning to see headway now.  A fair bit of fettling on the firebox/boiler castings, a lot of flash to remove. Also replacing the etched ladder rungs with wire and replacing the cast on washout plugs as they where beyond cleaning the flash on them. This was done by carefully counter sinking and drilling holes for square section brass rod.

post-150-0-23144000-1472830137.jpg

post-150-0-99178300-1472830153.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to normal after an exciting time at the Telford Guildex last weekend.  For me it was an all change moment. I was really inspired by a couple of really good small layouts. The detail and operating scope was amazing.  After returning home I made the decision to abandon my German HO Makenback layout and sell all the stock. 

I am now planning another 7mm layout 18' x 20" for the garage wall.  It will have the kind of detail and operating potential seen at Telford.

Also I purchased the Roxey Beattie 2-4-0 well tank.   Spent a couple of days knocking it together as far as i can go until Roxey sent the boiler etch. They said it was missing from the kit I purchased and will send it along this week.

In the meantime I have the Ivatt tank loco to finish painting and tomorrow I will start a Princess class 4-6-2 for you know who.

I am trying to decide wether to try and sell Makenbach layout or just strip it and sell the track and buildings. (It can be seen in the German railway section under Jazz goes to Bavaria thread. Currently on page 6.)

In the meantime here is the Beattie tank under way.

post-150-0-06685500-1473884494.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 11

Hi Guys.  I always missed the 7mm running in the garage.  Those layouts at Telford have had a dramatic effect on me.  Plus seeing Geoff's layout in July's visit to him got to me as well.

Track plan is finalised, I have lots of locos in my collection, I just need to acquire rolling stock and find suitable photos of buildings I have in mind.The winter month will be at the WB scratch building all the buildings and assembling the rolling stock. 

Can't wait to get it all under way.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. I've been quiet of late due to changing over to 0 Gauge layout.  I have had to put aside finishing the Ivatt 2-6-2T and the Beattie well tank which is almost completed.  Also because of building the Princess class for Geoff.

Anyway, I have the old HO layout stripped, base boards installed for the 0 Gauge layout too.  So I will now be splitting my time with track laying and completing the Princess.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jazz,

I've tried searching your thread but at 85 pages I'm not having much luck finding the key bit I want to see, so could you please advise how you elongate the holes (so clean and neatly!) for the centre bearings on your six wheel tender chassis? 

I'd also be interested to know how much movement you think is needed.  I'm about to attempt scratch building some bogies for a class 31 diesel and I'm thinking maybe the centre (smaller) wheels being sprung might be the route to go. 

Thanks in advance, Darren aka auld_boot

Hi Darren.  There are two styles for the centre axle holes. The first is a plain straight forward hole and second is a hole with half etched slots. The second style is the easiest, as I ream out the hole to accept the bush, not loose but easy to pop in and out.  Then using a round file that will almost be the same size of the hole, carefully follow the half etched area.

The first style, being the plain hole, and again reaming out the hole for the bush, then using a small engineers set square score vertical lines either side of the hole exactly lined up with the said hole. I then mark top and bottom of the hole to about 1mm. This is all the movement that is required. File out in the same manner as the second style.

The important thing is to take your time and keep checking with the bush for smooth operation and NOT to file too much off.  Make sure you follow the vertical lines/etches exactly or you will cause the coupling rods to bind.

Edited by jazz

Hi All.  I have been very busy of late building my new 0 gauge layout (more of that project later). Also nibbling away at the two BR Princess locos on the W/B. They should be finished end of next week, then I can concentrate on wiring up the new layout. I'll be in touch soon.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I now have the 0 gauge layout all wired up and now returning to the WB. The Beattie tank loco, started a while back, now has had the primer and top coat applied.  I will be  finishing that paint job shortly along with the Ivatt tank loco.  Both finished in BR black livery. 

I have a few buildings to assemble too, photos will appear as projects are completed.  It's a bit of a change from kit building for a while.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  I have been very busy beavering away at the new 0 gauge layout.  Finally it's all wired up, the Dingham solenoids are also now installed, (just 40 odd stock and locos to fit the Dinghams).  The scenery has not yet been started.

One item I am very pleased with is the Connoisseur 4 wheel coach.  Jim very kindly provided a replacement roof with the kit (GWR never had a birdcage guars lookout) Few other mods and additions Like the buffers, from my scrap box, altering the end handrails and the handrails by the doors, plus some additional roof detail has made what I think is a very acceptable GWR coach.  The only thing that is obvious is the lack go a duck out at the side of the guards end. (Thinking of that addition sometime in the future)

The addition of Jim's interior details has added to it as well as the under floor details.

Onwards with the Beattie well tank and the Ivatt 2-6-2 now.

post-150-0-36181200-1479290963.jpg

post-150-0-92174300-1479290982.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 13

Update on the Ivatt and Beattie well tanks.

All is now finished on the locos, that took a long time from start to finish because they kept being put on a back burner.

Well, I say finished, the will be going under a weathering programme when I have a number of other items to weather in the spring.

post-150-0-71572400-1479473154.jpg

post-150-0-42442700-1479473175.jpg

post-150-0-93918800-1479473197.jpg

• Like 7

what is it called jazz,i can not find it,Thankyou

Hi. It's in the 'layout & track design'    The title is JAZZ 0 GUAGE LAYOUT.      I will no doubt call the actual name of the layout different from PORTHILLY after more research.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  Still working on the new layout.  Progress so far is all the wiring of track work completed and buildings are now under construction. Looking forward to some milder weather to continue with the actual layout in the garage.

Here are some of the buildings.  You will see I have decided on the name of the layout "Trenruth".  The station now has a gents toilet and a name board. as does the signal box.

post-150-0-23181200-1480678069_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-53907800-1480678086_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-09678200-1480678115_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-19505500-1480678132_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.  First, a very Merry Christmas and a very happy modelling new year to you all.

Right, now to the WB. Time out taken to work on my new layout and stock is on a back burner. So It's now back to building locos for a spell. First up is a JLTRT Hall class.

I am going to enjoy this build.  Photos of progress to follow.

Best wishes, Ken

• Like 4

Hi Simond.  Here is the start of the build.  As usual time was spent removing etches from the fret and preparing the castings.  This afternoon I got this much actually constructed.

:O  Oops. the photo file is too big to upload. I will have to sort that later.

Edited by jazz

Ken

I built a Springside Hall a few years back - not perhaps "state of the art" but I enjoyed it and I think it's a decent representation. I'll enjoy watching your build!

Season's Greetings

Simon

Hi Simon

I built one of these Springside Halls a few years ago. A nice kit if approached in the right way.

Sandy

PS Merry Christmas Ken and sorry for the hi-jack!

post-7733-0-62211200-1482597303_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Sandy, that looks a lovely model.  I have only built one other Hall and that was the JM kit.  I still miss Jim's kits, they were lovely kits to build.

Anyway, the photo has now been resized. (Nothing will be done tomorrow) The curve on the footplate is the camera lens being too close.

post-150-0-77316400-1482601595_thumb.jpg

• Like 6