The old Humbrol spraygun - instructions - can you help

Yesterday I was given one of the ones with the bottom-fed glass jars and it appears to be complete apart from the propellant can and the instructions. I know they are worth next to nothing and possibly not wonderfully good but I thought it may be suitable for begining weathering practice. Does anyone have a set of the instructions they can scan for me, please. It appears to have two adjustable nozzles, one for air and one for paint. Can anyone advise what sort of dilution of paint - preferably acrylic - I need to use - help will be very much appreciated.

Jack (aka Shortliner)

This is the one I was given

post-6688-0-36137400-1459087803.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I don't have any instructions unfortunately, but have used mine a fair few times. Re: the "nut nozzle" on the top of the paint jar - turning it anti-clockwise increases paint flow.  The control on the air nozzle controls spray pattern IIRC.  As for dilution ratios, I'm pretty sure the instructions merely stated "the consistency of milk", which certainly seemed to work for oil based paints.  After spraying, remove the paint jar and fit one containing neat thinners and spray that a bit in order to clean etc.  If you get a blockage in the paint nozzle during use then put a finger over the air nozzle and paint nozzle simultaneously in order to direct the airflow down the paint nozzle into the jar, which cleans the jet (** watch out for paint being blown out the air vent hole above the jar when you do this - use a rag).

Detail work is a no-no without masking etc., but quality of finish is very good in my experience.

The last thing I sprayed using a Badger copy of the same airbrush was a Radiator Cover (and I don't mean a model one!) prior to assembly.  The paint used was Crown oil based satin, thinned with white spirit.  Primed by hand, then multiple spray coats plus a bit of time and patience.  Lovely finish with no brush marks :)

I used one of these kind of things (not this actual one) in the garden as a spraybooth to keep the flies off:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191201161075?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=122&chn=ps&googleloc=1006886&poi=&campaignid=207297426&device=c&adgroupid=13585920426&rlsatarget=aud-133395220866%3Apla-148547199666&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=122&ff19=0&ul_noapp=true

- spray, then zip the front up to let things dry in a dust & fly-free environment.

I've still got tins of beans covered in overspray sitting in the cupboard - they made useful paint stands for the various pieces of mdf....

HTH

Brian

p.s. Get yourself a small compressor if possible - the air cans cost a packet and don't last long.

Yesterday I was given one of the ones with the bottom-fed glass jars and it appears to be complete apart from the propellant can and the instructions. I know they are worth next to nothing and possibly not wonderfully good but I thought it may be suitable for begining weathering practice. Does anyone have a set of the instructions they can scan for me, please. It appears to have two adjustable nozzles, one for air and one for paint. Can anyone advise what sort of dilution of paint - preferably acrylic - I need to use - help will be very much appreciated.

Jack (aka Shortliner)

This is the one I was given

attachicon.gifairbrush.jpg

To add to polybear's post...

There are a few on eBay at the moment & one of them has a good photo of the instructions:—

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humbrol-Modellers-Air-Brush-Set-/252327056875?hash=item3abfdd55eb:g:qEAAAOSwxp9W4Yui

(hit the second image & click on it - it'll go full screen).

In essence, turning the air nozzle will give a semblance of pressure adjustment from low to high, but that will vary depending on how much gas is in the can - as the level drops, so will the pressure.

To adjust the paint flow, screw the upward-pointing nozzle up or down accordingly.

It looks to be very similar to the venerable Badger 250, a review of which is here:— https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/badger-250

The Badger doesn't have an on-board pressure adjustment, but otherwise looks very similar. Its manual might help too:—

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/Model%20250%20Instruction%20book.pdf

I've got a couple of 250s, & they're not subtle. However they are virtually indestructible under normal use & don't really wear out either. FWIW here's a few pointers that I've picked up from several years' use...

The hardest thing to get sorted is finding the 'sweet spot' for the paint nozzle - too low & it'll just blow air, too high & it'll produce a 'rooster tail' spray pattern that just goes everywhere. The sweet spot varies partly according to the available pressure, but mainly with the paint consistency. It's a fiddle with a compressor & a bit of a nightmare if you use a propellant can, but once you've got it right it's a useful bit of kit.

Paint consistency isn't a fixed quantity, it can vary depending on available pressure & the surrounding temperature. Experimenting will be a good education, but aim for something like single cream as a starting point, however if you're spraying outdoors with a can, expect to find that notion verging on the fanciful :)

Somewhere near the paint nozzle you'll find a little hole. This is a crucial part of the 'brush as it stops the flow creating a vacuum in the jar  - if that happens, it won't work. The hole **will** block up, so arm yourself with a length of wire or rod that'll fit & give it a good rodding before use & after cleaning.

Also find a wire/rod that will easily slip down the paint nozzle itself. If left standing for even a fairly short time, the paint can skin & set up in the nozzle & won't flow, so I get round it by putting an L-shaped length of wire down the nozzle if I have to put the 'brush down for a bit (it's also wise to fully disconnect the can as well - don't rely on the Off Switch/screw adjuster to prevent leakage.)

This type of 'brush is good for laying down colour over fairly large areas, but don't expect to get much finesse out of them. Should be ideal for track weathering though.

Humbrol did like a permafix hose, so you might have trouble getting it to work with a compressor. However by the time you've got the hang of it you'll be ready for an upgrade to a good single or double action airbrush.

Pete.

Gentlemen - My thanks for this info I shall think about a cheapo compressor - would one of those sold with "Nail Art" kits be any use in this case? I don't expect to be doing an particularly large amount of spraying - but I also know that one can suddenly find more jobs once you start!

Gentlemen - My thanks for this info I shall think about a cheapo compressor - would one of those sold with "Nail Art" kits be any use in this case? I don't expect to be doing an particularly large amount of spraying - but I also know that one can suddenly find more jobs once you start!

Don't see why not, nail varnish is basically cellulose paint isn't it?

You might wish to have a look at these threads:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103184-first-time-airbrushing/&do=findComment&comment=2024838

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107480-so-i-bought-a-cheap-airbrush-kit/

(Two brushes & a compressor for less than 70 sovs :)

P.

• RMweb Premium

If you are thinking of using an air can make sure the little pin inside the screw on connector/valve doesn't go walkies.

I came to use mine once and it had vanished ( I know not where!!!) and I was stumped to find a suitable replacement! No doubt a bit more thought and a suitable bit of a nail would have done.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results from an air brush after a little practise, especially on larger areas which need to look uniform.

I agree that the compressed air cans do not last very long but they are a good way to start & I expect you will soon be wanting for a compressor.

To get the most out of the can, tie it down in a bucket of warm water. Without this, it will get very cold, lose pressure then run out very quickly.

I like many others have one of these cheap air brush & compressor sets, works very well  and just the job to either start out with or for those of us who don't use them that often. Once you add up the cost of air cannisters or cans of paint spray it will soon recover the cost of buying it

Archived