MEA carry slag

Hiya everyone

how are you all?

so Moment EWS MEA wagon usually for engineer work??????

Thank you

Andrew

No- they're used for short-term traffic flows, such as coal to Clitheroe or Penyfford cement works from various locations, contaminated sand from Truro to Humberside, coal for blending between various sites in South Wales and other similar traffic. I don't believe they're used that often in engineers' workings, as the high sides make loading from below track level difficult, and tempt people to overload them. This is why numbers were cut down to give the lower-sided MFA, which I believe Bachmann also make.

• RMweb Premium

No- they're used for short-term traffic flows, such as coal to Clitheroe or Penyfford cement works from various locations,

Also used for slag from iron/steel industry to Clitheroe cement works - using the same wagons as the coal flow. Only way to recognise them is the lower height and appearance of the load, as the slag is far denser than coal and is finer in consistency.

Cheers,

Mick

• 5 years later...

Also used for slag from iron/steel industry to Clitheroe cement works - using the same wagons as the coal flow. Only way to recognise them is the lower height and appearance of the load, as the slag is far denser than coal and is finer in consistency.

Cheers,

Mick

MEA carry slag from steel work?

• RMweb Premium

Yes.

There was a regular (monthly?) working from Redcar to Clitheroe Cement works, where it was blended with cement.

The same wagons were used for the coal train as well.

Hello everyone

In 1990 MEA carry slag from steel work?

There was also a short term, intensive flow from Llanwern steel works to Cardiff Docks in connection with a sewage outfall /  pumping station that needed to be built when the Cardiff Bay barrage was built. 

The 37/9s were regulars on the working.

Brian R

• 2 years later...

Here's a photo of some slag:- http://www.mineralproducts.org/prod_slag01.htm

The empty wagons were travelling back to Llanwern Steelworks after delivering slag to be used on a water-treatment plant project in Cardiff Bay- my brother-in-law was a geotechnical engineer on the project, which used about 2 million tonnes of the stuff. If you're looking to replicate it, I'd use a dark grey paint, with just a little silver or gunmetal-grey mixed in.