Porth Merryn, Small Cornish Fishing Port

Andrew P

Once back from Holiday there will be changes to the back of the Layout by doing away with the Bay Platform by fitting a Fence and then installing a Loading Dock and Warehouse along the Back to help hide the Back Scene. This will give me another un-loading area for operation and a better Scenic balance. It will also give me the chance of a better Scenic treatment to the Platform as I did on Trebudoc, (see pic below, but adding the Warehouse behind) adding Lamp Posts, Signs, Benches and Flower Beds to make a prettier looking Platform and Station.

post-9335-0-07541000-1460738863_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-50687600-1460739985_thumb.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 9

Thanks for that info, despite being born on the Banks of the Tamar,I left the area when I was about 4 or 5 and I've never had the opportunity to re visit the area, even when living in Buckfast I was so busy with my own business I never even had the opportunity to spend more than a few Hours at the South Devon Railway or visiting Brent.

It's unlikely that I'll ever get back down there now so its always good to see pics of the area.

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks

It is amazing to read just how busy and important both of these places were in their heyday.

I have visited Morwellham and Cotehele and they are each interesting and atmospheric,

cheers

All the Points are now wired up, and so I connected the 16V Transformer via a Female TV Coaxial Cable to the Male Plug on the Layout, so it keeps the 240 Volts well away from the Layout, and using the same Transformer for all the Layouts with the same connection system. I then FLASHED the Point wires together to ensure they all work well. All good, and all the Frogs firing the right way so really pleased, next step when I get back from Holiday is to solder up to the switches and then its on to the new Scenic section along the back.

• Like 3

Once back from Holiday there will be changes to the back of the Layout by doing away with the Bay Platform by fitting a Fence and then installing a Loading Dock and Warehouse along the Back to help hide the Back Scene. This will give me another un-loading area for operation and a better Scenic balance. It will also give me the chance of a better Scenic treatment to the Platform as I did on Trebudoc, (see pic below, but adding the Warehouse behind) adding Lamp Posts, Signs, Benches and Flower Beds to make a prettier looking Platform and Station.

attachicon.gifTrebudoc Photo Shoot 124.JPG

attachicon.gifPorth Merryn - Copy.png

What makes it for me is the use of only five points it looks so easy to operate well done Andy great stuff keep the pictures coming...

Yes but he is likely to get back from holidays and rip the whole thing up.

We should enjoy Porth Merryn while we can.

You OBVIOUSLY didn't read post #147 then, hahhahha. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:  

• RMweb Gold

I have too busy to look at everything on RMWeb so I hadn't noticed this. However sat on a train today with the sun straight in the window making it difficult to see out and wifi available in the carridge I idly looked in using the Xperia phone I got recently ( I really still have the L plates on for driving it). As RM Web doesn't know the phone I came in as a guest and found myself on here.

Great stuff mate. The track layout is a mirror image of my portable 0 gauge layout. |Its a good plan as the opposing sidings may it more fun to shunt. As usual you are going apace and have already overtaken me. This is just the short of thing I was expecting you to come up with. TOO MANY IDEAs  to stick to one layout. This looks to be a good one.

Apros the RNAS/ Fleet Air Arm thing Marion's grandfather was a chippie ( whole family were for generations in Brixham) and in WW1 got put in one of the flying lot. He was meant to be repairing the wooden aircraft but said he was kept busy making walking sticks for injured officers! Her dad later went in the RAF in WW2 and was ground crew on Lancaster bombers. He was passed to be a gunner mechanic ( to fix things in the air as well as fire the gun) but was upset because the war finished before he got the chance.

Hmm making me think I have a Langly fishing boat that wont be needed for Dolgelley  I could do an 0 gauge harbour layout.

Don

• Like 2

Morning Don, Glad you like it, I'm still playing with Pencarne, and need to finish the Gardens and Goods Yard on there ready for a Photo Shoot for a Mag. And I'm just enjoying running Trains on North Road at the Moment before fitting the Shed Pits etc so PM is a nice little change.

I have also drawn up the plans for another one once this is completed, (Glen Goolie ?), based on my old Glen Roy plan, so a Scottish theme but this time with a Harbour at the front opposite the Station, and again just on one board, but that's for next years Easter Weekend I hope, although I do have the Timber already.

• Like 5

Serious suggestion Andy, given your new small one board layout philosophy- have you ever considered/ done a 'Minories' type layout: admittedly you may need to use two boards and hinge them (disguising the hinges with a bridge - bus optional!) - would like to see your interpretation.

Serious suggestion Andy, given your new small one board layout philosophy- have you ever considered/ done a 'Minories' type layout: admittedly you may need to use two boards and hinge them (disguising the hinges with a bridge - bus optional!) - would like to see your interpretation.

Thanks Steve, nice idea and one that I've already looked at, but I'm trying to avoid hinges on the Scenic sections, I have them to extend the Fiddle Yard, and that's o.k. also I think it would need units to look effective and I don't have any at the moments, I sold all my 150 and 153 units to Peter BB when he bought Deesdale Road.

I also prefer freight and as I have plenty of Vans / Wagons for Pencarne and North Road it would be silly spending more money on Units just yet, basically I can build a Layout for the cost of a few Points and about 6 yds of Track of which I already have half a box of Peco Code 75 Fine Scale, half a box of SMP and about 10 yds of Code 100 and 12 Peco Code 75 Points, plus the Hand Built Points that I made for Bitton some while ago, so its really only timber that costs money..

The main criteria is to build a small Layout with no visible joins that will still go in the Car.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You can't see the join sounds like a line from Eric Morecombe! Seriously single board layouts can work well. For a start there is no join in the Backscene particularly helpful for Backscenes with a lot of Sky. Makes the wiring simpler. Quick and easy set up and break down for exhibitions. My Berlingo only aloows about 52 inches not really enough for an 0 gauge layout.

The planned Backscene looks quite good to me.

Don

Well back home from Holiday tomorrow pm, and then helping Nick Pallet operate Ashbourne Midland at the Sutton Coldfield Show on Sunday.

I hope to be able to buy some furniture for the Quayside at he Show, things like the Bollards that they tie Ships up to and also some other Harbour related bits.

On Tuesday I will get the Sheets to do the Quay, I have in mind the Wills Sheets, but Tutbury Models now has a new product supplies via Gaugemaster that looks like Cobbles but comes as a Rubber Mat, this may well be better as there will be no Join.

also I hope to finish the Control Panel  / Electrics on Saturday afternoon.

• Like 2

Thank God this guy takes a holiday away from the potting shed gives us mere mortals time to catch our breath before the next chapter begins. WHAT'S HE LIKE !!!!!!!!!!

I think I know the answer to that Andy ......amazing..... good job your sheds not as big as mine !!!!!!!!

Thank God this guy takes a holiday away from the potting shed gives us mere mortals time to catch our breath before the next chapter begins. WHAT'S HE LIKE !!!!!!!!!!

I think I know the answer to that Andy ......amazing..... good job your sheds not as big as mine !!!!!!!!

Hi Martin, with a Shed like yours and the Llangollen Railway at the bottom of the Road, I'd be made up.

Volunteer a couple of days a week and build layouts the rest of the time. Mind you, I'd want a window in the side of your Shed with that view down the Valley.

Cheers Jeff, couldn't think of the word this morning, I must be getting OLD. hahha

Hi Andy

Don't frent it not set in yet!

They are bollards, capstans are a particular sort on which you can wind in your boat on a rope. Me, I'll stand back and watch your effort.

All the best

TONY

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Don't frent it not set in yet!

They are bollards, capstans are a particular sort on which you can wind in your boat on a rope. Me, I'll stand back and watch your effort.

All the best

TONY

However if you happened to go the GWR china clay loading jetties at Fowey they did have capstans (but they were for moving wagons, not mooring ships) ;)

• RMweb Gold

Capstans were designed to pull on a rope. On the old sailing ships they were fitted with spars a number of crewmen would each take a spar a circle round pushing the spar to turn the capstan. Probably singing one of those sea shanties will using the capstan to lift the anchor. Later steam then electric and hydraulic driven capstans were developed. As Mike said they were also used for railway work. usually to move wagons about they did have an advantage over horses (no shovel work!) they  were often used with those small wagon turntables where the loco could not push the wagon once turned onto the side track.

Bollards used for mooring were inert applying no pull to any rope. However running a couple of turns round a bollard does have a mechanical advantage allowing a sailor to hold a much larger force than without the bollard.

Mind you what you call it doesn't really matter

Don

• Like 1

Hi Bodge

Langley models have what you are looking for.........and they call them bollards. So 0/10 for me. A big thank you to everyone for the interesting debate.

I promise to do my homework before jumping in next time.

Bin

Hi Bodge

Langley models have what you are looking for.........and they call them bollards. So 0/10 for me. A big thank you to everyone for the interesting debate.

I promise to do my homework before jumping in next time.

Bin

Don't worry Jeff, It's all a load of old Ballard's to me mate. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:  

• Like 1