Scalefour North 16/17 April Wakefield

I'll be there, helping as a steward and setting up the Standard Gauge Workbench display.

I will also have some 50 items to sell on the Bring and Buy stall, the rarest being a Gibson Black Five kit but also lots of other locos, kits, bits and pieces etc. which I am having to admit I will never be able to build because of failing eyesight or which are no longer appropriate. I hope this sale will fund my conversion of the Bradford North Western branch to OO.

See you there!

Ian

Looking forward to it. Aiming to be there on the Sunday. Have friends who live in Bradford who we'll go visit afterwards probably for a cuppa and a rest before the drive down to Nuneaton/Coventry.

Will be first time attending the Scalefour shows as recent years the dates have clashed, expecting a good show.

In a late addition to the Scalefour North programme, I'll be doing a "Starting in P4" demonstration over the weekend.  That will include answering any questions that come along!

To give the weekend a little bit of structure, from my perspective at least, I'm aiming to cover four main themes:

1. Soldering

After recently doing the soldering demonstration at the Missenden Modellers Weekend, I'm fully prepared to spend as much time as needed to demystify what some people incorrectly judge to be a "black art".  So if you'd like to talk about tools, techniques and tips, please just ask.  I'll have plenty of scrap brass and whitemetal with me for people to go hands-on and have a try themselves.  I'm determined not to let them go away unsatisfied!

2. Trackmaking

Straight track or pointwork.  Copperclad, ply and rivet or plastic chairs.  Have a look at the alternatives and decide what suits you best.  For those new to P4, see how easy it is to put some trackbases together and have a length of flexitrack in finescale.

3. Locomotive chassis

Undecided between compensation or CSB?  Not sure about what each means, or how to decide?  I'll have examples of both on show, and demonstrate the strengths and weaknesses of each system.  With a little bit thrown in about pickups, wheel quartering, and anything else that comes to mind.

4. Wagon building

A great way to access finescale modelling and develop skills and techniques.  Again, what are the benefits of compensation or springing when building vehicles, or indeed why bother at all.  I'll be looking at upgrading plastic kits to finescale standards.

So if you have anything that you'd like to discuss in these areas, or anything else for that matter, come along and say hello!

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

• RMweb Premium

Setting off shortly. Latest from the Met office is sunny intervals this morning, showers this afternoon in Wakefield, so no need to let the weather put you off visiting.

So, that'll be sunny on the way, that's fine. So far both times I've been to the current venue I've managed to wander off in the wrong direction leaving the station but have got back fine, so it fits in with that.

The Bristol crew battled through snow in the Gloucester area which changed to rain on approaching the M42 on Saturday morning.

The 50 mph speed limits on the M1 are a real pain.

We had an excellent Saturday and Sunday morning at the show as well as an interesting and enjoyable night out in Wakefield.

Left Sunday lunchtime heading for the Midland Railway Centre at Butterley.

Got our feet etc covered in mud on the lineside footpath. This path really does them no favours. You need wellies!

The train service I believe was every hour and a half using Met 1.

Pub visit for an evening meal and back to Bristol about 21:30.

Thanks to the show organisers who manage to squeeze in at least two new traders who took money off me.

A good weekend.

Gordon A

Judging by the small number of posts commenting on S4N, it doesn't seem to have attracted many RMweb "modellers".

I saw a few RMwebbers there on the Sunday, including traders.

It being a more specialized show, the chances of seeing a large number of RMWebbers is reduced somewhat potentially. Though imo, far better than the Ally Pally show on a personal level for me.

Went on Sunday. A great day. A bit of delay and hassle on the M1 on the way back down, and some utter idiots on the A42.

Worth the effort and trip.

Glad you enjoyed it Kelly, I thought it was one of the best ever S4N's and had an enjoyable weekend.

However, my credit card and wallet may feel otherwise - especially when, in due course, Mrs 5050 sees the statement :O

• RMweb Premium

I was there, had a good useful rummage around for bits and pieces (even if rather too many were "Hmm, now I'm here I'm not actually sure exactly which bit it is I need" - need to be better organised in producing my shopping list!)

Has nobody any photos of the show to share ? Please?

I have, but not had a chance to sort them out as yet. Will try to get them done in next few days and upload them. And the small amount of video to YouTube.

I really enjoyed the show, meeting lots of old friends and making new contacts with people looking at the Standard Gauge Workbench display. Particularly on the Saturday thjere seemed to be a real buzz so I hope the traders did well. I managed to sell a lot of stuff on the B&B stand; two thirds of the items but only one third of my valuation, i.e. the cheap items sold better than the more expensive - quelle surprise!

I was very grateful for the generosity of the half dozen souls who kindly swapped their unwanted OO wheelsets for my now-redundant P4 wheelsets. They know who they re and i was very glad to be able to thank them in person.

Thanks to James and the gang for bringing it all together. Well done!

Ian

Not enough reports? Well we can't have that!

Good show. Pre show bacon butties very welcome. Quality of tea acceptable once the urn was up to temperature, and the caterers fortunately didn't run out of electricity this year. Bill Bedford's new resin GNR 45' bogie coaches very interesting and impressive to see, 'though I regret that I couldn't persuade my wallet to open to necessary extent . Progress on LRM J5 etches also nice to see. I was quite taken with the overall look of the Port Solway layout. Lunchtime pie and peas just the job too. Interesting to see that Pete Hill can't have time away from the Gibson stand without being demanded by customers, even when he's not supposed to be on duty. It's even harder for the boss to sneak away for five minutes it would seem.

It was as usual a very good opportunity to buy from "quality" suppliers. Apart from "general" supplies my main purchase was an LRM kit for a Stirling class D tender, which turns out to involve a bit more in the way of building than I thought it might. Good old George Norton design - not necessarily as easy or convenient as some later etched kits but it does appear to cover all of the necessary features and more besides.

No aspect of the show to criticise as far as I could see. A good 'un.

Sunday; from my perspective

Good trade.

Good folk.

Good crack.

Good organisation.

Good demos.

Good venue.

Good trainsets.

Good modelling.

Goodly number of punters.

Good weather.

Overall, I overspent and overate.

Pity we can't have it six monthly.

P

I too found this an excellent show - maybe a bit more like a conventional model railway exhibition than usual now it has moved to the new location. (I unavoidably missed last year, so this year was my first opportunity to see the new venue.)

Glad to see Port Solway in a more or less finished state. I remember seeing it a long time ago in an embryonic state at S4North and being impressed with the overall concept. I have casually wondered a few times since then if it was going to be one of those layouts that got started and never finished. Now I know!

Sunday; from my perspective

Good trade.

Good folk.

Good crack.

Good organisation.

Good demos.

Good venue.

Good trainsets.

Good modelling.

Goodly number of punters.

Good weather.

Overall, I overspent and overate.

Pity we can't have it six monthly.

P

Saturday the same with the possible exception of the weather, particularly on the way home...

John

Archived