Shafted ?

daveymills

I find eBay is a great place for finding things I can't otherwise find, disposing of odd items of no great value, browsing round box-shifters for the best price on various generic items, and occasionally as a source of inspiration or entertainment.

There are few bargains there, and haven't been for a long time.

Ebay invariably supports the buyer, in case of dispute, regardless of any evidence offered. You just have to know that. I find that over time you can get a pretty good idea of the nature of the buyers and sellers, but that isn't infallible. Sometimes you just have to chalk things up to experience.

I certainly agree with most of your first paragraph, in that it is a very good resource in being able to buy items I require easily, also a good place to dispose of unwanted items, sometimes for good prices. Don't buy from box shifters so cannot comment.

Bargains are still there, perhaps not so numerous these days. Also my buying seems to go in circles of not being able to find what I want at a price I am will to pay, down to getting several great buys in quick succession.

My experience with eBay's dispute system is that they do lean towards the buyer in a dispute, providing the buyer has grounds for complaining, down to the seller to act accordingly.

Edit

I think the vast majority of my complaints has been through inadequate packing, example a whitemetal kit put into a padded envelope, and yes it arrived damaged!! this cannot be either the buyers or eBay's fault. As a seller just describe the item as honestly as you can, as a buyer look at the photographic evidence to back up any descriptions. If something is described in perfect working order, it should be

A tip is, with an unknown seller use buyer beware principal, and photo's are worth a thousand words.

I tend to look for bargains where the sellers have no idea what they are selling, after viewing listings over quite some time one gets an idea of what to expect or what to look for, even taking the odd chance on inexpensive lots, or where the description is vague and poor photo's showing up something that might be much better that described.

• RMweb Premium

I disagree about bargains, it's definitely tipped toward being a traders' marketplace, with Buy Now definitely the dominant listing type, but if you filter by auctions there are definitely still some good deals to be had.

The very best bargains can be from BIN where the seller does not realise the market value. I've had some fantastic buys this way (5 coaches for £14 + postage!). These deals do not stay live for very long unsurprisingly. 

Archived