Shafted ?

daveymills

and look where that left us, everyone claiming and the banks paying out regardless of the stupidity of those who did no read the small print.

How about some compo for those of us who have been left out by being careful and diligent in (almost) everything we do :)

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had an interesting one.  Bought a Graham Farish Mk1 SK in blue and grey for about £18.  The description confirms it as Blue Ribband, i.e. the new type tooling and it is indeed one of the new tooling ones in the picture.

Took three weeks before it finally turned up this morning, the box is correct, Blue Ribband markings etc but the coach inside is now one of the old Poole tooling ones which I specifically do not want.

Not sure if Ebay will be bothered with a complaint on this one but it is clear someone has done a switcheroo here somewhere.....

• RMweb Premium

Just had an interesting one.  Bought a Graham Farish Mk1 SK in blue and grey for about £18.  The description confirms it as Blue Ribband, i.e. the new type tooling and it is indeed one of the new tooling ones in the picture.

Took three weeks before it finally turned up this morning, the box is correct, Blue Ribband markings etc but the coach inside is now one of the old Poole tooling ones which I specifically do not want.

Not sure if Ebay will be bothered with a complaint on this one but it is clear someone has done a switcheroo here somewhere.....

I'd be complaining under the not as described route. The old model is worth less than 50% of the newer one. Remember the seller has to pay for you to return it as well. 

I my self have been shafted on eBay I sold a old lima loco the a few days later got a message saying  the buyer wanted a return as the locos damaged and sent me photos of the damaged unit the body shell had split and the motor gearing was disassembled the claim stated that the packaging was not damaged so it must of been packed like it which it wasn't I have brought and sold hundreds of locos over the years and have a 100% rating I told them I have photos of the unit to back up that it wasn't damaged he then suggested that I refund him and then put a claim against the royal mail so if this is the case how was it damaged in transit and the outer packing not damaged I know they are trying it on .

• 4 weeks later...

Just a update I lost my case with eBay they took the refund for the buyer. The loco was sent back to me and when it arrived is was missing the drive shaft the motor and the pcb board so it was striped for its parts I have informed eBay but they are not interested  .

Regrettably maybe, I'm old fashioned about that sort of thing, people only cross me once.

I shall be extra careful not to spill your pint, mate...

:O

...or pee in your pool.

• RMweb Gold

You're quite safe Pete, I mean really cross.

Mike.

Edit.

Funny you should mention the pool, cleaned it after all the building work, will be going in this afternoon, there's a cerveza with your name on!

As promised.

post-5471-0-56299300-1473004327.jpg

Mike.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

• RMweb Premium

Just a update I lost my case with eBay they took the refund for the buyer. The loco was sent back to me and when it arrived is was missing the drive shaft the motor and the pcb board so it was striped for its parts I have informed eBay but they are not interested  .

You have my sympathy on this. I've found that the overwhelming majority of EBay buyers and sellers are decent and honest but there are bottom feeding low life Ebay users too and an experience like this can really sour the taste of EBay. I must admit a few months ago something similar happened to me, EBay did their standard "the buyer is always right" thing and I was going to close my account and walk away in disgust. In the end I didn't as it is still a good outlet for recycling stuff we no longer want, and since then I've dealt with some people that have restored my faith that the bulk of EBay users are honest and straight up. My advice is to just move on and chalk it to experience.

• RMweb Premium

As you say that you have the evidence to show that the loco was not in the state that it was returned in, It would be worth going back to eBay to say that you intend to inform the police about the buyer stealing the parts and that eBay will be listed as an accomplice. You do need to be prepared to carry this out if you do it.  

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic but the wonders of Paypal for those that never criticise it.

I've had my account limited as they say I have 2 accounts (I don't) just after a flurry of sales of excess building materials and tooling I had £400 in the account and intended transferring it out after Hermes postage was paid but PP locked it before I could.

The "Resolution" will apparently take 45 days even though I've supplied passport, proof of address and bank account. I still had a few items running which have finished and the buyers are unable to pay with PP so are asking for the sales to be cancelled.

All of this because someone with a "similar" name (their words) has opened an account so they've locked both, so far it's been 11 days even though they said 36-48 hours......Kin useless..

• RMweb Premium

I've only had one bad deal on EBay and that was as a buyer. It can work both ways.

Item was listed and I won it (£700 odd price tag). Paid immediately. within 4 to 6 hours an identical listing appeared with the same pictures used as in the one I won.

I waited for delivery, nothing turned up. Queried it with the seller and they stalled saying it could take a little while to post out. A second query and they said that, as I hadn't specified recorded delivery for dispatch it was sent second class and it was my loss. recorded delivery hadn't even been an option on their listing nor when paying. I even asked the seller for details of where and when they had sent the item so I could raise it with Royal Mail. I never got a reply on that subject. I also queried the second sale, they said they had two identical items for sale. I ended up raising a dispute with EB, presented all my evidence and they refunded me quite quickly.

Sellers account was closed about a fortnight later ....

• RMweb Gold

Send a "letter before action" giving them (the buyer) a few days to pay up and then https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview (used to be small claims court).

Andrew

Very noble, (and legal), but I was thinking of something that will focus their attention and get results quicker!

Mike.

I find eBay is a great place for finding things I can't otherwise find, disposing of odd items of no great value, browsing round box-shifters for the best price on various generic items, and occasionally as a source of inspiration or entertainment.

There are few bargains there, and haven't been for a long time.

Ebay invariably supports the buyer, in case of dispute, regardless of any evidence offered. You just have to know that. I find that over time you can get a pretty good idea of the nature of the buyers and sellers, but that isn't infallible. Sometimes you just have to chalk things up to experience.

• RMweb Premium

I disagree about bargains, it's definitely tipped toward being a traders' marketplace, with Buy Now definitely the dominant listing type, but if you filter by auctions there are definitely still some good deals to be had.

As a seller I'm certainly wary of their tendency to side with the buyer in disputes, but touch wood I've never had a problem.

Archived