OO adding bogie pickups

Hi

I need to add pickups to both sides of a coach bogie to assist a EMU with pick up.

Is there a nice set way to go about this, any ready made bits etc?

Here is a photo of the bogie in question.

Thanks

post-1423-0-03015900-1460112324_thumb.jpg

If you can find Bachmann split axle wheelsets then it is very easy to collect from the pinpoints for a 'no incremental friction' pick up. Bachmann use this on their OO Pullman cars and BR era MU models, if you want to copy the RTR arrangement, this has the pinpoints running in dimples formed in thin metal sheet. Easy enough to replicate, alternatively solder wires to brass pinpoint bearing cups located in the frames. (This principle should only be the standard pick up method for all non-driven wheelsets running in outside bearings, superior to all other methods.)

• RMweb Premium

I think Replica Railways do a pickup kit, but it's not too difficult to make your own.

This is a TEA wagon bogie to power a tail light, but I use the same method for coaching stock

post-408-0-48021300-1460115933.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

I think Replica Railways do a pickup kit, but it's not too difficult to make your own.

This is a TEA wagon bogie to power a tail light, but I use the same method for coaching stock

attachicon.gifsDSCF3436.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Since the wheels have solid metal backs it is best to keep the contact point on the wheel back as close as possible to the centre, the braking effect is proportional to the radius at the contact point.

With wheelsets bushed on only one side then putting the contact on the axle gives the minimum possible radius and hence braking effect.

Regards

Archived