RMweb

GBRf Class 66 #66746

• RMweb Premium

How very restrained....

Boring by another name?

I wonder what it would like with GBRf style lighter coloured cabs and curves, in gold, of course, to match the Scotsman lettering? Then again, he who pays the piper painter...

• RMweb Premium

I have to say I quite like it, and would agree with "restrained" rather than "boring", since the Scotsman is about restrained and elegant, and sticking bright(er) cabs and modern swooshes and curves on it would spoil that effect.  Although we (ie enthusiasts) would like it to stand out and look different, I expect that what RS want is something that blends in and doesn't attract attention to itself, that being the job of the train, the scenery and the on-board service, not what's up front.

What they need is to get it next to the secretly green one...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What they need is to get it next to the secretly green one...

It arrived at Roberts Road, Doncaster today, so probably parked up next to 66779 in the shed by now.......

Maroon and green engines - whatever next?

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is foul, like having McDonald's do the catering at the queens 90th!

I would guess that the catering provided on the Royal Scotsman is of a slightly higher quality than Maccy D's

Cheers,

Mick

Still think it would have made more sense to use a loco designed for passenger use, a 68 or summat? Yes I know the train has its own ETS but surely better to keep it as a backup and for over night parking?

Still looks better than the dayglow firework display they used last year.

To my eyes, like the old Royal Scotsman 37s, it shows how a bit of gold and light grey roof lifts the drab maroon colour away from the WCRC look. All three use the same shade, which matches the coaching stock,

Now, if they'd have lined the cab sides with gold pin striping...

Jo

I think you are miss the point, the people who are paying to be on the train don't give a tos@ about the loco as long as it is clean and well presented, they care more for the trip, comfort and food. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for a standard GBRf 66 to be on the service

Still think it would have made more sense to use a loco designed for passenger use, a 68 or summat? Yes I know the train has its own ETS but surely better to keep it as a backup and for over night parking?

Still looks better than the dayglow firework display they used last year.

GBRf don't own any 68s, or 67s. The train actually has two generator cars, with one being a backup.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know they are reliable if very thirsty, but no amount of paint is going to make up for the fact these are worst diesel locomotives that we've ever had to put up with in this country. Freezing in the winter, red hot in the summer, horrendously noisy cabs ...

No I'm not a fan!

I know they are reliable if very thirsty, but no amount of paint is going to make up for the fact these are worst diesel locomotives that we've ever had to put up with in this country. Freezing in the winter, red hot in the summer, horrendously noisy cabs ...

No I'm not a fan!

Can I mention the Fell now?