East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium

Call me sad but, as I was passing on my way to my daughters for Christmas lunch, I popped in to see what was happening!

Firstly we have a distinct lack of water ...

IMG_9449

And then occupation of the ECML lines.

IMG_9451

As well as the existing Stamford lines. It is possible to see that the down Stamford road on the new alignment has the OHLE wires in place as well.

IMG_9450

IMG_1340

The second picture above is from the Hurn Road footbridge. Looking south there is activity with a gap already apparent in the down Stamford road. It can also be seen that the OHLE has already been moved across to the new alignment at this end.

IMG_1339

Back to looking north into the main area where work is taking place.

IMG_1338

And the signalling has already been changed over to the new alignment as well. Of note is the signal head which is a single aspect unit which looks to have bicolour LED's in the aspect.

IMG_9452

And, as I post this, it is now some 8 hours or so since I took the pictures having enjoyed a substantial Christmas lunch. Alcoholic consumption was minimal as I was driving - now to make up for that ...

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

53 minutes ago, Richard E said:

Call me sad but, as I was passing on my way to my daughters for Christmas lunch, I popped in to see what was happening!

And, as I post this, it is now some 8 hours or so since I took the pictures having enjoyed a substantial Christmas lunch. Alcoholic consumption was minimal as I was driving - now to make up for that ...

Missed you by minutes looking at the shadows on the ground.:rolleyes:

My son was home for christmas day and wanted to see what was going on, so what better excuse than a half hour visit on a nice sunny day before lunch.

I'm rendering a small video of the track lifting at the moment as there is nothing worth watching on tv, but being stuffed and with a fuzzy head it's not going too well :drink_mini:

Edited by Donington Road
spelling, missing words, too much to drink today I think
  • Like 1

Lot of re-stringing on the ECML.

In the first photo two substantial posts have been put up recently (third from the right and centre), what for I have no idea.

Two photos of the state of play today at the north and south ends of the Stamford Lines.

Rounded off with a small video of lifting the old Stamford down line.

img_1603b.jpg.be6c5cccbfe3ebbb85ca0993d9a235e2.jpg

IMG_1605a.jpg.3a3a2867d314556c19582abb55ad8bbd.jpg

IMG_1613s.jpg.175ebad9a1ccb0f2e861a749db716a65.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
changed last picture
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Richard E said:

Of note is the signal head which is a single aspect unit which looks to have bicolour LED's in the aspect

Isn't it a matrix of R + G + Y single colour leds?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Richard E said:

And the signalling has already been changed over to the new alignment as well. Of note is the signal head which is a single aspect unit which looks to have bicolour LED's in the aspect.

IMG_9452

That signal head could do with a visit from the Sighting Comittee.

• RMweb Premium

OK, I'm now officially being sad, went again today.

Nothing to see from Marholm Lane footbridge.

Cock Lane produced these:

The signal head is indeed an interesting one, a  mix of bicolour LED's and interlaced LED's. All are lit with a yellow aspect, red and green are interlaced. Sighting isn't an issue, the pictures make it look as if it is though. Note the graffitti has already started, I wonder how long before the signal head itself is 'tagged'?

IMG_9459

IMG_9458

The old down Stamford has disappeared! Interesting contrast in ballast colours.

IMG_9454

IMG_9456

And a visit to Hurn Road bridge showed the new down Stamford is connected at the northern end and the OHLE boys are doing their stuff. Looking at that work platform and thinking about how stable it is gives me the wobbles.

IMG_1341

By the look of it the up Stamford isn't being switched to the new alignment now, perhaps that is a job to be done over the weekend/New Year (remember it is Thursday today) as the line has to be handed back tonight ready for traffic tomorrow morning. First train to York and points north is over an hour later than usual in the morning, only long distance traffic going north before 8:15am is to Leeds.

The crossing keepers at Woodcroft Crossing have had a good Christmas, the crossing has been closed to road traffic since the 24th and will reopen tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

To keep this thread bang up to date here are a couple more, the alignment is deserted today as it has been handed back for normal traffic. There was someone else there taking pictures but it was of passing trains rather than the site itself.

Let's start with a quick shot of the old Stamford alignment showing one road still in place and the other lifted.

IMG_9468

I just missed an up freight on the Stamford lines but did catch this.

IMG_9465

And I also caught this. It seemed quite slow despite having started from Peterborough.

IMG_9462

IMG_9463

And finally at the northern end of the site.

IMG_1343

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Welly said:

That signal head could do with a visit from the Sighting Comittee.

I sincerely hope that its position was agreed by the Sighting Committee (or modern equivalent thereof) in the first place.  However far more seriously than that in this age of spray can vandalism is quite what dull brained person decided to make it such an easy target and why on earth it wasn't moved as soon as its position and the risk became obvious to all but a blind man I simply cannot understand.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I sincerely hope that its position was agreed by the Sighting Committee (or modern equivalent thereof) in the first place.  However far more seriously than that in this age of spray can vandalism is quite what dull brained person decided to make it such an easy target and why on earth it wasn't moved as soon as its position and the risk became obvious to all but a blind man I simply cannot understand.

I dont think I've ever seen a signal in such a vulnerable place for vandalism,  it will just add to the hotch potch of signalling in this area. 

Never known a location with so many different makes of signal, not a great idea as the all react differently in fog and falling snow 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

Now about a few steel panels affixed to the footbridge where the signal head is to stop spray can access?

There are, probably don't go far enough - they've been graffitied, only part of the bridge that has!

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'm no expert on signalling Mike but even I can see it is very vulnerable to abuse.
It is sited dead opposite the original (on the plinth near the four extra height bridge panels) but the distance to the proceeding signal has now increased due to the widening and curvature of the line being controlled. So moving it 50yards or more further north away from the bridge would have maintained the original distance and have been more sensible.
The other consideration is the new junction that will be created where the new line begins at the southern end.  This signal with a red aspect holding a long container train would surely foul the new junction.:unsure:

663669307_newtrackalignmentfromcocklane006_renamed_20515.jpg.71160f99a9cef4becf02e47d49e37788.jpg

On the temporary up line the new signal there has been installed a considerable distance northwards of the existing one (showing the green aspect), again very near the footbridge.
Perhaps they intend using the footbridge as shelter for stopped locos.:jester:

558783683_2019-1136_renamed_5886.jpg.b54701e53b22bc72dbf03f32adf220f5.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I don't know about this project, but signal sighting experts are consulted for things like putting an REB within 50m of a signal, so I've no doubt that it's been through the proper process.

If it is as it appears in relation to the pedestrian deck then it's probably not going to stay like that for very long.

• Agree 1

On 27/12/2019 at 12:28, Richard E said:

And I also caught this. It seemed quite slow despite having started from Peterborough.

IMG_9463

As that 75mph sign is placed there, I would suspect that there is a lower speed restriction before it, probably 40mph.

Perhaps due to the narrower working area from Walton footbridge to Cock Lane footbridge.

On 27/12/2019 at 20:26, SouthernMafia said:

Enjoying the updates on this project, very interesting to follow.

Felt Donnington Road's excellent video needed a little soundtrack upgrade though...

What about the Imperial March from Star Wars?

• RMweb Premium

The next big change is connecting the up Stamford diversion, that will take place next weekend (23:00 3rd/04:00 6th January) according to the latest project newsletter posted here on 2nd December by Donington Road.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, melmerby said:

I see all tracks north of Peterborough are closed for engineering again tonight.

Looks like possesion started around 2230.

There was defenitely plenty of floodlights and noise through the night.  Sounded a bit like piling was being done.

Will pop down later and have a look.

• Like 1

Could not see any additional work done since Richard's photos posted on Friday.

Hurn Road/Lincoln Road area seems to have come to a standstill, nothing has been done for at least four weeks.  There is still quite a bit of water around the old road under the bridge and a few cylindrical rebar reinforcing tubes have been delivered.

Local rumour has it that Peterborough City Council have called a halt to any further work being done in that area, for what reason remains a mystery.

Over on the west side all the machinery has been parked up with no more than half a dozen personnel doing small tasks like straightening up and securing wooden fence posts.

One noticeable thing is the amount of rail panels from the Down Stamford line that are stacked up all around the site.  I'm wondering why they were not taken away by rail when they were being lifted.

Not much happening either in regard to rail traffic today.

South end looking towards Walton footbridge 2019-12-29

cl2.jpg.efea25a4668eae4eccde5cf8c8de438b.jpg

North end looking towards Hurn Road footbridge 2019-12-29

hr2.jpg.0e00916466c4a6e85166944be508f771.jpg

View from Hurn Road footbridge 2019-12-29

The seagulls have found a new perch as they survey the flooded fields beyond.

hr1.jpg.34ac706cd74535af28f82d715e28a152.jpg

The new Stamford Lines showing the overbridge (above and right of the locos) which will give access to the dive under, initially to remove spoil, then act as a maintenance access once the dive under is completed.

Yet more track panels left and right of the lococs.

cl1.jpg.b041d129c21a6aa9d87e7f2747e1fa58.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
spilling werds rong :-)
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 6

I have obviously not been very observant on site.

I have just noticed from todays photos all these sensors along the new Up Stamford line.

sen1.jpg.f74e6883c4c2693e7ebc508eea669dd7.jpg

sen2.jpg.e32957345752d54099a5d771dbbe4c63.jpg

They were originally on the old Down Stamford.

23787791_2019-0358.jpg.980677d61af51209e9cf871d4a8e6435.jpg

Their purpose is to monitor any track/ground movement.

The white pyramid structures with the laser tops situated in the area between the ECML and Stamford Lines did the monitoring.  The lasers dissappeared a couple of weeks ago.  It will be interesting now to see where the pyramids will be positioned.  I guess it will be west of the new Stamford lines but the area there is rather boggy and wet,

• Informative/Useful 4