Hi Gents,- following this all with interest - as I have a creamery on my layout 'Sproston'. (See my blog entries on here ) and have just been constructing a representation of a rotary steam churn - cleaner, as seen in the background of the 1946 photo of Seaton Junction, ( visible just between the two groups of workers standing in front of the truck )

However mine is a much smaller depot than the one modelled on here, and would probably only fill  a couple of 6 wheel rail tankers at once.

I find the subject of carrying milk by rail fascinating, there is a good article here,  http://www.rooksbridge.org.uk/cvd.htm

and some photos of LMS/BR milk trains, with info here.

http://www.steve-banks.org/images/historical/milk/lmsj_milk_pdf.pdf

Regards

SIGTECH (Steve).

Super picture of Loswith! I can remember it in its prime; a lot of action from the clays and Carne Point, the milk trains as well as those on the main lines. Very busy in those days. Presumably the Cl.37 is using the Down loop to run round its train off the Fowey branch and continue back to Goonbarrow or wherever or maybe the opposite! At least it continues to this day!

Brian.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello, it has been a long time, but I finally have progress worth sharing.

Thanks to those in the interim who have viewed what I had already posted and kindly commented, and to those who contacted me via PM.

In the past two years I've had a lot going on, and with regard to the layout, I have spent a lot of time on scenery.

Unfortunately, I was somewhat crippled by dissatisfaction because I just didn't think what I had done was "good enough".

I'm grateful for the encouragement from JaymzHatstand for keeping me going!

Anyway, here are some test shots. I picked up the closest Castle to hand because having overcome the aforementioned troubles I wanted to get something on RMweb.

There's still plenty to do, but I feel comfortable sharing what I have so far.

The layout can also be set up for 1960s/1970s blue diesel operation by changing the automotive vehicles and lorries.

I can also do some tactical dairy re-branding to set it up for the Wilts United Dairies with garish orange stock.

Photos for a future update.

Thanks again for your patience and forbearance.

img_1479b_44412423761_o.jpg

img_1482b_44362594592_o.jpg

img_1533b-weathered_30559336278_o.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
  • Like 15

This is very good, must say I like the buildings and glad to see an update of things. This has inspired me, with many of the details used in my creamery construction - so please keep going Graham, it's all coming together now!

Regards

SIGTECH

Steve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This is very good, must say I like the buildings and glad to see an update of things. This has inspired me, with many of the details used in my creamery construction - so please keep going Graham, it's all coming together now!

Regards

SIGTECH

Steve.

Thanks very much. It is indeed nearly there; my next objectives are to finish the fencing and have some factory gates.

All the electrical work, points and fiddle yard are all fully operational.

After that, a lighting rig and getting it exhibition ready.

Edited by GraemeWatson

If your looking for some staff to populate your layout, I found some 'Dairy' workers made by Preiser and Faller - o.k  they are ho scale, but not noticeable unless you stand one next to a Bachmann figure...there is also a second set called construction workers that are similarly attired, they all wear various white or blue overalls, boots, waterproof aprons,- some have hats. about a dozen figures in all.

Preiser cat numbers are:14144 for 'construction workers',and for Faller:150922 for the 'Dairy staff'. Noch also do a small forklift truck in yellow which has a passing resemblance to one from Lansing Bagnall.(I repainted mine red )

Regards,

SIGTECH

Steve.

Edited by sigtech
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If your looking for some staff to populate your layout, I found some 'Dairy' workers made by Preiser and Faller - o.k  they are ho scale, but not noticeable unless you stand one next to a Bachmann figure...there is also a second set called construction workers that are similarly attired, they all wear various white or blue overalls, boots, waterproof aprons,- some have hats. about a dozen figures in all.

Preiser cat numbers are:14144 for 'construction workers',and for Faller: 150922 for the 'Dairy staff'. Noch also do a small forklift truck in yellow, which has a passing resemblance to one from Lansing Bagnall .(I repainted mine red )

Regards,

SIGTECH

Steve.

Ironically, I have a whole host of figures, mostly Monty's models/Dart castings, but... they were put in the mystical "safe place" during renovations and have yet to be found since!

I'm intrigued by those continental offerings, so I'll be sure to check 'em out.

• RMweb Premium

Well, I have worked on a diagram which illustrates the operation sequence of the main milk tank freight on the layout.

Also attached is a rough track, plan more or less.

Step 01: The train arrives beneath the bridge.

Step 02: The train moves into the dairy complex.

Step 03: The loco leaves it's train of milk tanks in the loop.

Step 04: The loco moves forward in preparation to leave the loop.

Step 05: The loco leaves, light engine to move into a holding lane.

Step 06: The loco enters the holding lane; the water tower and coaling area are there for the steam era.

Step 07: The dairy shunting loco leaves it's holding lane.

Step 08: The dirty, empty tanks are removed by the shunting loco.

Step 09: The dirty tanks enter the cleaning bay.

Step 10: Clean, filled tanks are removed by the shunting loco.

Step 11: The clean tanks are added to the departure siding.

Step 12: The loco can now leave with filled milk tanks.

operation-sequence-labelled_42604286020_o.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That was the very picture I was thinking of, but could not re-find the source of, other than having it saved somewhere. Thanks for posting the link.

Another prototype for everything photo exists of King George V (with bell!) on a milk train.

Edited by GraemeWatson
  • Like 1

Fantastic modelling Graeme! A very attractive prototype - it is good to see milk traffic modelled, something a little different to the norm. I love the dairy buildings in particular.

I can assure you that what you have done is way more than 'good enough' so please don't doubt yourself! It is inspirational stuff :)

Thanks for sharing.

David

• RMweb Premium

Good to see this layout which offers something different.

Any one else remember 'the little engine that wouldn't pull the milk train' , a Chuffalong story? possibly scope for reenacting this for the younger audience?

http://cncollectables.co.uk/product/chuffalong-the-little-engine-who-wouldnt-pull-the-milk-train/

Dava

Another prototype for everything photo exists of King George V (with bell!) on a milk train.

For some years the 3.50pm Whitland-Kensington was diagrammed for a King or a gas turbine loco on alternative nights between Swindon and Southall. This was the only regular diagramming I am aware of featuring a King on a milk train. I wonder if it was some sort of balancing working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2018 at 16:38, EMUsLEE said:

Hi Graeme what are the dimensions of your layout ?

The "rough" dimensions are in the track plan above.

I have just re-measured, the scenic section is 6' 5" (197cm) by 2' (60cm).

The fiddle yard (orange in the plan) is 3' 2" (97cm).

The measurements are a little odd, but the reason being I wanted to fit a Western and a fair few milk tanks on the layout to make it reasonably prototypical.

I plotted it out on AnyRail, and made it to Goldilocks' "just right" principles rather than choosing a common board size.

The AnyRail plan shows a blue rectangle representing the Western and white rectangles representing tanks.

The other thing I was mindful of was considering the scale size of GWR Siphons and a Hawksworth full brake, which I would run in an earlier steam era.

Chard Junction Dairy Loop 2 april.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic modelling Graeme! A very attractive prototype - it is good to see milk traffic modelled, something a little different to the norm. I love the dairy buildings in particular.

I can assure you that what you have done is way more than 'good enough' so please don't doubt yourself! It is inspirational stuff :)

Thanks for sharing.

David

Thanks David. I suppose when I see layouts at exhibition or photographed for the modelling press, I kind of doubted if I would be able to make something as smart. Obviously ours is a craft of time and patience, and a good end result comes from a lot of that.

• RMweb Premium

Good to see this layout which offers something different.

Any one else remember 'the little engine that wouldn't pull the milk train' , a Chuffalong story? possibly scope for reenacting this for the younger audience?

http://cncollectables.co.uk/product/chuffalong-the-little-engine-who-wouldnt-pull-the-milk-train/

Dava

It isn't a story I've come across before, but it does seem quite charming. Thanks for sharing the link. I have operated layouts in the past with the odd guest loco with a face, it does always have a positive impact on the really young in the audience.

• RMweb Premium

For some years the 3.50pm Whitland-Kensington was diagrammed for a King or a gas turbine loco on alternative nights between Swindon and Southall. This was the only regular diagramming I am aware of featuring a King on a milk train. I wonder if it was some sort of balancing working.

That's really useful information Karhedron. Thanks for sharing.

One of the things that attracted me to milk traffic was the inherent license to use almost anything, including express passenger engines. I'll have to check the trip information in the photo I have seen of King George V. It was in a single issue magazine, I think it was called "Delivering the Goods" or something...

I shall look and report back.

• RMweb Premium

Spent today stringing up my five foot fence posts.

After discovering I couldn't glue fishing reel to Ratio posts, I ended up trying out some laser cut wood fence posts from ScaleModelScenery.com (no connection other than a satisfied customer).

I was very pleased with the results, I used Tinned Copper Wire 35 SWG (0.2mm) to represent the wire, because at least it would be metal coloured and not fishing wire coloured.

Photos will follow in due course.

My next task is to address the dairy entry gates...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, this weekend's modelling task was something I had been planning for a while, an industrial shunter inspired by this one from Chard, seen here in the days of the milk marketing board and the re-vamped milk tanks.

See this website for further information: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/chard-juntion.html

Not many photos exist of this particular shunter exist, and within my skills I figured that a mashup of a Hornby Bagnall and a Class 06 cab would suit me fine.

I removed the moulded handrails with a scalpel and added turned brass ones. I also removed the molded detail from the back of the Class 06 cab.

I'm intending to spray this yellow, inspired by this particular example. I am aware it won't be identical, but that isn't my intention.

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/8114419_1_orig.jpg

img_6670_30749703158_o.jpg

Edited by GraemeWatson
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

So, this weekend's modelling task was something I had been planning for a while, an industrial shunter inspired by this one from Chard, seen here in the days of the milk marketing board and the re-vamped milk tanks.

See this website for further information: http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/chard-juntion.html

Not many photos exist of this particular shunter exist, and within my skills I figured that a mashup of a Hornby Bagnall and a Class 06 cab would suit me fine.

I removed the moulded handrails with a scalpel and added turned brass ones. I also removed the molded detail from the back of the Class 06 cab.

This is a standard Ruston & Hornsby 165DE - I this Judith Edge makes a kit of this.  However your suggestion will produce something "close enough" as the variability in industrial types is much greater than in main line designs.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Northmoor and Corbs.

I'm fairly decent at re-spraying stuff, and not too bad at a brass kit.

But, I have a number of brass kits already on the go/on the to do list (and most are 009)...

I would love to make one of the Judith Edge varieties at some point, I'm very grateful for the link!

Meanwhile, progress so far on my mashup is looking good. Hopefully a photo tomorrow evening.