RMweb

Most commonly owned model

• RMweb Premium

UK models, I would think something like the 20t brake van, or the Hornby mark 1 carriage would be up there.

From a wider perspective, the Fleischmann N gauge class 218 must have shifted huge numbers. In production since the 70s, of a ubiquitous prototype, it even seemed to appear on many UK layouts of the 70s and 80s, presumably due to its reliability.

Other, less glamorous examples would include the Fleischmann 211 and Kato DE10, the latter number in the hundreds of thousands. Some of our US experts could no doubt cite equally long-lasting production runs of F units, or something similar.

• RMweb Premium

Ahh the good old R600 straight . R601 double straight and if you were really going to town the R603 long straight. Wonder whatever happened to R602? As a boy I knew these numbers backwards , always planning the next layout, and ones that were just pipe dreams . It must have helped me in Geometry . Everyone knew you needed 8 45Deg curves to make a circle !

Yes I'd forgotten about Hornby Dublo N2

Another one is the Triang Hornby Type 3 or Class 37 that appeared in the Pullman Night Mail and various Inter City themed sets from 60s through to 80s.

My money's still on the Jinty though

• RMweb Premium

Ahh the good old R600 straight . R601 double straight and if you were really going to town the R603 long straight. Wonder whatever happened to R602?

Just looked that up, it's the power connecting clip so must be a good bet for this thread although doesn't really count as a model.

"....although doesn't really count as a model......"

Why not?

And, would those really annoying clips that cut your fingers, that are used to hold bits of 0 gauge Tinplate track together count? There must have been billions of those made, all pretty much the same, all over the world.

K

• RMweb Gold

I did buy rather a lot of those Hachette Mk1s............

You were not alone.....

Somehow I managed to accumulate 20 of them!

Not that I remember buying more than a couple though.

I do remember the Mrs saying she picked some up, 'because they were there and you have model railways like them'.

Even the Mother in Law got in on that act - she proudly delivered me 3 at Christmas that year.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

"....although doesn't really count as a model......"

Why not?

My thinking is that the model part refers to the bits supposed to look like a shrunken version of the prototype (without going to rivet counting arguments) but that the clip isn't really part of that any more than the hand of god coupling wagons together would be - but then do I regard my baseboards, point motors, wiring etc. as part of my model? Now I'm confused!

My thinking is that the model part refers to the bits supposed to look like a shrunken version of the prototype (without going to rivet counting arguments) but that the clip isn't really part of that any more than the hand of god coupling wagons together would be - but then do I regard my baseboards, point motors, wiring etc. as part of my model? Now I'm confused!

So, the humble Hornby track pin wins!

I think that more Tri-ang models were sold than Hornby-Dublo.  One of the most popular Tri-ang Railways models was the R10 open wagon which was not very realistic in size or livery. Mine were dark green and I had no qualms about repainting them Southern brown with white lettering and I have still got them. It was produced for 30 years and no-one knows how many were made. According to page 234 of Tri-ang Railways The Story of Rovex Volume 1 1950-1965 Tri-ang Railways sold over 40,000 during the last three years and sold a further 140,000 in sets RS24 and RS43.

I'd forgotten about the dublo N2 made from 1938 to the end of production except for during the war and in numerous forms and carried on by Wrenn . I agree triang may beat them hands down on volume but I would suggest more got broke or suffered from the bendy plastic disease. But these HD models just go on and on.

• RMweb Premium

I think that more Tri-ang models were sold than Hornby-Dublo.  One of the most popular Tri-ang Railways models was the R10 open wagon which was not very realistic in size or livery. Mine were dark green and I had no qualms about repainting them Southern brown with white lettering and I have still got them. It was produced for 30 years and no-one knows how many were made. According to page 234 of Tri-ang Railways The Story of Rovex Volume 1 1950-1965 Tri-ang Railways sold over 40,000 during the last three years and sold a further 140,000 in sets RS24 and RS43.

Yes it must be a close call between the open wagon and the brake van, as per my post 8. Definitely close between them amongst the Tri-ang range, but what about the other brands of makers too?

• RMweb Gold

Well I mentioned Ertel earlier with the Thomas range, but what about brio and it's predecessors? When I started school in 71 we had that and it wasn't new. When I was a small kid I had a push along trainset that was plastic, it had red track but quite a range. I had turntables, bridges, double slips and stations I can't remember the stock

When I started school in 71 we had that and it wasn't new. When I was a small kid I had a push along trainset that was plastic, it had red track but quite a range. I had turntables, bridges, double slips and stations I can't remember the stock

I couldn't get that link to work - it got intercepted by my corporate web police.  This link did work.

Toltoys railway.

Happy memories there.

Yours truly:

post-1819-0-73050900-1461283345_thumb.jpg

I think this is where it all begins.

The roadway pieces I had were black.  I thought they were Toltoys too, but perhaps were a clone product.

Relative to the OP, I'd consider R600 very carefully. It came with just about every set. 

I believe the earlier sets had R604 (1st radius) but later sets in the track pack era had R606 (2nd radius). Since volume is a factor, I'd have to consider R606. There were at least 8 of these in just about every set. I wonder how many millions were produced?

I couldn't get that link to work - it got intercepted by my corporate web police.  This link did work.

Toltoys railway.

Happy memories there.

Yours truly:

attachicon.gifmichael totoys train 1960s.JPG

I think this is where it all begins.

The roadway pieces I had were black.  I thought they were Toltoys too, but perhaps were a clone product.

Relative to the OP, I'd consider R600 very carefully. It came with just about every set. 

I believe the earlier sets had R604 (1st radius) but later sets in the track pack era had R606 (2nd radius). Since volume is a factor, I'd have to consider R606. There were at least 8 of these in just about every set. I wonder how many millions were produced?

Nice hat you are wearing!!!!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

According to page 140 of Pat Hammond's Tri-ang Railways book 40,000 black 0-6-0 diesel shunters were made between 1956 and 1958 and 87,000 green ones were made after 1959. Nowhere near the total of 720,000 black Princesses but I have not got the total figures for the production run of 0-6-0 diesel shunters to date.

Regarding the Hornby-Dublo N2 only 800 of the 2-rail version were sold in 1964 leaving 1,000 in stock according to page 90 of Hornby Dublo Trains by Michael Foster. My first train set was the Hornby Dublo 3-rail 0-6-2 goods set but I think Tri-ang Railways sold far more trains than Hornby Dublo did.

Archived