Wartime Sussex 1943(ish)

GreenGiraffe22

The adjusted track layout is complete! Nothing is fixed into place just yet but I think I#m happy with the layout.

I've got 6 trains made up to travel the two circuits, there is space in the station for a 7th too I just haven't decided what to run as the 7th yet. .

post-29051-0-17416000-1483281842_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-36192700-1483281853_thumb.jpg

I've had great fun testing locos through the point work... the points at the far end have been the most troublesome. First the 700 was okay but the E4 was derailing, then the E4 was okay but the 700 was derailing, I think I've found a happy medium now... The C class doesn't like reversing back through them but it shouldn't have to very often, no problems with the M7. 

I thought I'd try the T9 for a laugh, I knew it was going to be a disaster, I'm gonna have to look into thread about fixing the T9 derailing issue because it's completely unusable at the moment...

I'm thinking about fitting in an engine shed on the long straight siding here

post-29051-0-77620800-1483281855_thumb.jpg

Going to add a single level crossing here for the road to pass through, I've got my eye on the Bachmann Scenecraft one! 

post-29051-0-56298600-1483281857_thumb.jpg

The only trouble now is when I set to the points to go into the yard it is short circuiting my controller, but it wasn't doing this during testing yesterday, so gotta work out what is causing that...

• Like 1

Decided to let my terrier stretch its wheels as the 7th train, for the first time in months and months, it's not a very good runner bless it, not much strength either , but it tries. It used to be Earlswood before I painted it black , it must be about 10-15 years old now, I know I've got the wrong size lettering and numbering in the wrong place, I'm rather hoping someone might release a sunshine liveried Terrier even if it isn't a re-tool (although a newly tooled Terrier be really awesome, for any manufactures who may be reading.) , just to save me the hassle. Dapol released a limited edition one in wartime black once apon a time but I haven't been able to find one for sale anywhere. Should anyone come across one, do let me know :)

It's in reverse because it's rear hook keeps falling upright and the bar is too low for the NEM couplings on the carriages to latch on properly.

It was also a very early weathering experiment, along with sorting out the livery, I'll get around to making it more grey and less orange eventually... 

post-29051-0-22797000-1483300744_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You can't go wrong with a Terrier!! I have found issues with mine occasionally but nothing a good strip down and service won't sort. They can also be improved with a bit of weight added wherever you can, I have only added weight to 1 of mine but I managed to get about 10g of liquid lead in and it improved it a lot.

Gary

Edit: it could also use with converting to an A1X proper for your era, not to hard and you can get away with just adding the bunker extension and boiler extension from the accessory pack and rounding off the front slashers. see this pic of Stepney for details

Edited by BlueLightning

• 2 weeks later...

Sound the 'Rule 1' alarm! I bought a couple of Brighton Dept. Grampus wagons from Simply Southern.  Admittedly I didn't realise the Grampus wagon was a BR design before I bought them, but I do enjoy collecting Brighton related rolling stock.

I'm thinking about getting hold of a Brighton Works Terrier and creating a small diorama  with them? There is nearly always a BW Terrier for sale on ebay.

Posed them with my E4 for photographs. 

post-29051-0-44635900-1484144275_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-70013200-1484144277_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-19617800-1484144279_thumb.jpg

As with all Dapol wagons I fully expected them to perform dreadfully, and as they were being pulled around the track by my C class in a goods train of about 12 or so wagons, one surprisingly stayed on the track, one did not...

post-29051-0-80973700-1484144280_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-16356100-1484144283_thumb.jpg

post-29051-0-33455700-1484144285_thumb.jpg 

Edit: I feel like Simply Southern should have it's own bit in the Retailer Commissions section of this website? I'm sure the wagons will be of interest to others who may not even know they exist... 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They look good, and you got one that stays on track! I didn't even know they existed.

I think you're right about Simply Southern having a place in the Retailer Commissions section, however as far as I'm aware Ash doesn't use RMWeb.

Gary

Edit: also no-one can have to many Terriers so I think getting a Brighton Works one sounds like a good Idea!

Edited by BlueLightning

Tried running my pesky T9 again today, it can almost make it around the outside track but somewhere between the station and the curve in the far corner this always happens, which brings the train to a slipping halt if it has carriages behind it, without carriages it later goes flying off the rails at the first set of points, frustrating as hell.

post-29051-0-96992800-1484243337_thumb.jpg

Also uploaded another video to Twitter, this time my Q1 hauling a military goods train and my 2bil going round the inside. Q1 is in reverse as it is the only way it can get around my layout without derailing. I think it could do with a wheel clean too, bit stuttery through the station...

https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/819556393950781440

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No need to excuse any lack of knowledge, we all have to learn sometime. The back-to-back is the space between the wheels measured from the back of one to the back of the other, for 00 it should be 14.5mm, if the wheels are to close or to far apart it could cause it to derail as it goes through the check-rails on the points.

you can check the back-to-back with a set of calipers, or you can get a back-to-back gauge such as the Markits on here from Peter's Spares, other makes of gauge and suppliers are available.

As for the Brighton Belle that seems like a great idea, you can't go wrong with Pullman's never mind Brighton ones!!

Gary

I suspect I have done something to the wheel alignment whilst cleaning my first C Class, the jolting has lessened, however watch as my newer C Class glides through the points and my older one... done not. 

again when it gets to the other end of that section the newer C Class glides through the points but the front wheels slip off the track on the older one. Hmmm.

https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/821717506452754432

• RMweb Gold

I think you are right about having done something to the wheels, has it done that since new??

Have you managed to get a back-to-back gauge yet? if it were me that would be the first thing to check.

Any chance of a closer video showing the wheels as I can't make out if it is the front or rear wheel set that is derailing first?

Gary

It's the front wheel that's coming off, funnily enough when I just went to take another video it stopped doing it... but it did again on the 4th attempt, and no, it's only since I touched up the weathering, sprayed it, obviously got varnish on the wheels because it was jolting, cleaned the wheels, and now derailment issues.  Haven't got a back-to-back gauge yet.

post-29051-0-57778400-1484749217.jpg

Looking underneath those front wheels do not look straight to me.... the front left one looks like it's turning outwards ...?

post-29051-0-40228200-1484749230.jpg

Still, not as bad as what happened to my T9 the other day, full on toppled over!

post-29051-0-37219000-1484749282.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Poor T9!!

Yes that wheel looks like it points outward. If I were you I would get the gauge and then try pressing the wheels straight with it between them. You could try and do it without but may cause just as many issues if you push them to close together!

Gary

• Like 1

Yeah I'll have to see what I can do, at least it makes it around the inner circuit okay, frustrating though, it's one of my favourite locos. If I can't fix it I know where I can take it to be looked at.

Otherwise everything is okay in 40s Sussex (aside from the war ;) ) just waiting for new releases aha

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure you can manage to fix it. Now that I'm back on my Laptop, was on the phone earlier, it looks to me like it must be that front wheel. It wouldn't be hard to fix, so easy that I wouldn't want to pay someone else to do it!

Gary