New Ulm, MN on the C&NW in H0

Hi Andy,

Will do buddy, it's the weekend now so I can play again!!! Just wish I could upload pictures from my mobile as it takes far better quality shots than my big camera.

Hi all,

Fascinating further information contributed, thanks. You really do learn something new every day (as my dad and granddad used to say).

Cheers Y'all,

John.

• Like 1

John, yes your railroad looks a little like New Ulm but needs lots of trees and a creek since this isn't Kansas anymore. There were/are four yard tracks there and a few spurs so if you added another double ended yard track it would be closer, maybe another spur for a liquid/granular fertilizer dealer like the Blair Line one with a tank or two, add a couple of large bins to the grain elevator and a large Pike Stuff warehouse with mechanical, coolers for a cheese manufacturer/warehouse.

Yes I did work for the: Illinois Central, Peoria&Eastern(NYC), ChicagoNorthwestern, Soo Line, Columbus&Greenville (Mississippi), Milwaukee Road, Illinois Terminal, Illinois Central Gulf, Soo again,  Wisconsin Central, Minnesota Commercial, Progressive Rail, Wisconsin Northern, Kansas & Oklahoma and retired from Watco after fifty years as a railroader.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on New Ulm. Since retirement I have been working on a small, simple short line freight/steam, passenger, excursion HO railroad based on the Monticello, Il. Railrod Museum. It's mostly an around the walls 20'X20' layout with extentions through walls to two other rooms in our finished condo/basement.

Barry

Hi Barry,

Many thanks indeed for this and sorry for not replying earlier (I got carried away with 'terminology' talk!). As and when, I shall try and act upon your advice while trying to keep to the quality of Dans workmanship!

I cannot say just how much I appreciate such knowledge and advice from someone who knows the prototype, it's invaluable. May I suggest that you could start a separate thread all about your reminiscences and experiences of working on the railroads and about your model railroad too (please). Or just here if you'd feel more comfortable, you'd certainly be welcome as all 'your' roads were most interesting too.

I would certainly find it fascinating and I'm sure many others would too.

Best regards,

John.

Thought I had been to Neu Ulm, in 2005 actually. Thankfully got a train each way but rather a lot of power on the West bound! Ok only about 3 were actually working.

I love that last shot and the way that the Sleepers go in and out like mad! :O

• Like 1

Actually this track is in pretty good shape considering it's in good alignment, no battered joints, cross level appears to be good and tie condition is okay. For the size of rail (85-90#/yard) and the heavy cars running over it I think it's fine. Keep in mind heavy grain trains average 12-16,000 tons along with heavy ethanol tanks which riding on this lite rail is good at 25 MPH max. speed. Compared to other countries even branch and short line railroads haul heavier and longer trains.

I have run on and managed short lines where the track was so bad (before re-habilitation/ballast/ties/rail) that the locomotive would tip to almost 25 degrees and I had to stand up in the middle of the cab as engineer to avoid falling out the window in summer. Some lines were so bad that we celebrated by having breakfast the next day because we made a run the previous day without derailing or going on the ground. This the truth and not kidding.

Yep, that track and those switches are in great shape for the traffic handled. 

BTW, I thought the depot (can also be called a station) was still there,... probably as a crew, on duty location for the local/switch crew and track MOW guys.

Ah the "fun" of operating on old, midwest, branch/shortlines where Monday you are engineer, Tuesday, track man, Wednesday conductor, Thursday, mechanical /locomotive/car repair and Friday whatever is left from the previous day's activities but hoping for an "early quit" to go home for a long weekend so you can forget you work for the railroad!

Barry

• Like 1

The extra units are probably being sent back west fresh from servicing/periodic/inspections in St. Paul to handle eastbound loads. Much of this line was mtys west and lds east.

Barry

Edited by bok

Isn't just that the sleepers come in lengths going up in 6" increments?

As Northroader says - it's the TIES ( ;) ) under the SWITCH ( ;) ;) ) that are getting wider as the rails diverge. They are running parrallel to the Main line, not 'going in and out like mad' - just the effect of the camera angle & zoom lens.

Edit - sorry for capital letters; didn't mean to 'shout' but it was easier to type on my phone than do italics etc. :blush:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Nice to see a layout reappear. I've just read through the old Galatia thread to get upto speed, there is also a Flickr page of photographs as well that I found. One thing I have discovered is the backscene came from Sceniking, who have now ceased business due to health issues, which is a shame as it's a good one. I look forward to seeing a few Alco's appear and will now watch the C Vision CNW Alco Line again. The RS32 fleet were all ex CR and came to CNW via Chrome Crankshaft at least one looks to have run in CR stealth black http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3558090 I also have a book with a couple of pictures of Alco's in previuos owner liveries, I'll check the numbers . 

Edited by w124bob
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine Larry Bell was in charge of the Alcos for the CNW out of the old roundhouse in Huron, SD further west on the line through New Ulm. He did his best to keep these old beasts running until better, more suitable power could be obtained during lean years for the railroad. Larry was an O scale modeler of sorts and I got know him later when we both worked on the Soo Line in Minneapolis he in the Mechanical Dept. and me one of the young officers in the Power Board (dept. responsible for the handling, make up of locomotive consists, distribution of cabooses, "bird dogging" special high/wide movements, derailment/crossing accident/injury/fatality information distribution to senior officers). BTW, Larry was the guy who somehow, somewhere developed an intense dislike for the Milwaukee Road and it's people. He displayed this, after becoming Chief Mechanical Officer for the combined Soo/Milwaukee in 1985  by ordering all former Milwaukee units to be "re-painted" in the well known, "bandit" scheme. It's amazing how some folks can carry a grudge.  

Barry 

• Like 3

Hi Barry,

I feel much the same for the organisation that took over the North Western!

The first U.S. Road I got into was the Southern Pacific, then the North Western, later I followed the Texas and Pacific!

All of which were gobbled up by the Onion line, I call it that because if you peel away it's layers, you will cry at the one time great roads to be found within.

I detest that particular line, not least because they then insulted all model enthusiasts by charging for the use of their logos. So in my timeline, maybe the North Western took them over instead!

Cheers,

John

John, I can understand your thinking about the CNW being a rough outfit taking over roads like the M&STL, CGW, RI and others and then abandoning much of all with the exception of the RI.  But let me offer a different view having worked for many of these roads and gaining "inside" knowledge of their dire financial situations and the heart rendering decisions which had to made.

Roads like the CNW, Milw. Rd., IC, CB&Q, and the other granger roads of the midwest were drowning in a sea of red ink due to circumstances beyond their control. All of these roads over- built in their enthusiaism to garner as much traffic as possible and in the 60s with larger,100 ton, grain hoppers running on branch lines with lite, beat up rail, on rotten ties and mud ballast with constant derailments and trucks stealing freight to ride on the new Interstate highways something had to done. Out came the "scalpel"  used to carefully carve away the dead wood which had no chance of surviving. This was their only salvation to stay alive until many were sold or merged into oblivion.

What has happened since those days is railroad re-birth with new traffic sources and mega freight trains operating on super right of ways with increased technology and signaling. True, as fans much of the old, wonderful, railroad is gone, with their colorful locomotives and cars, industries and people. But much of that type of railroading can still be found in American/Canadian short lines and fine railroad museums. The fun and enjoyment of modeling former roads now can be done more realisticly and easier than ever before.

These are the "good old days" and we are so fortunate to enjoy them. I know because a good deal of my career was spent in some of the worst days of the industry.

Barry

Edited by bok
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Barry your 'insider' knowledge is a real boon to this Forum!

I wasn't aware that the 'Bandit' scheme had it's roots in one man's dislike of the Milwaukee!! I knew the Soo could be frugal spending money (putting it mildly!?) so thought the Patch job was just a cost-saving excercise rather than a personal grudge!! Quite made me smile, that did!! :D

I think all railfans will have a 'Pet Hate' Railroad; usually the one that took over their beloved favourite. I'm well aware that Canadian Pacific was almost always the majority Shareholder in the Soo Line, but still hate them for taking it over completely.

• Like 1

I had to do 'overtime' this weekend, the price one has to pay for working for oneself!

However, I had time for a hunt for some images of New Ulm on the t'interweb and found this;

3356815887_ea8fb84570_b.jpg4367-04 by nekoqba, on Flickr

Wow! How lovely is that?

Both the actual grain silos themselves complete with the rather large "Welcome to New Ulm" in giant red letters! Plus the fact they must be using a trackmobile, hurrah! I'v always fancied one of them but never really justified it to myself. Judging by the Jeep Grand Cherokee behind that post, this must be a post C&NW shot but let's not worry about such small details, eh?

I'm not sure how to squeeze that lettering onto my much smaller group of silos but I'd sure like to. It would be quite a rebuild to make my silos look like this, I think.

Cheers,

John.

• Like 5

John, I can understand your thinking about the CNW being a rough outfit taking over roads like the M&STL, CGW, RI and others and then abandoning much of all with the exception of the RI.  But let me offer a different view having worked for many of these roads and gaining "inside" knowledge of their dire financial situations and the heart rendering decisions which had to made.

Thanks Barry,

That's a wonderful insight into the real thing, I really appreciate it. You're quite right of course and I accept that a lot of the smaller roads simply couldn't survive.

What galls me and the road I was referring to, is the Union Pacific - that's the one that I see as being a greedy corporation, gobbling up everything in sight and being 'mean' with licences of it's logos for model railroaders. Henceforth, if I have to refer to it again, it will be as the Onion line!!!

Jordan,

Another batch of dislike for the Canadians from me! I don't appreciate the CN for taking over the 'J' which was another road I really like.

Sadly for me, a lot of the really interesting roads have virtually disappeared from the US scene although I do still love the KCS. Hmm, I quite like the NS, CSX and BNSF too so maybe I shouldn't rule out the possibility of another trip across the pond!

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't it the Chessie system that started the practice of trademarking their paint jobs and charging modellers for the privilege of using them? OK, commercial systems can make money wherever they can, but that practice got right up my nose. Think of the outcry if they introduced the same idea here?

• RMweb Gold

Rule out a trip across the pond???

Never!

Can't wait to get back over there especially as a few friend are over there now posting about their trip including the many breweries they have been visiting.

Still a few months to go before our next visit.

• Like 1

RS32 update, my memory is playing tricks. CNW leased 2 additional loco's around 1979 both came from Chrome Crankshaft and were ex SP. This information came "Chicago & North Western Railway 1975-1995 Photo Archive" published by Iconografix. This link shows 4001 on CNW property but the owner as Crystal Carline http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=10717, 4003 wore red as well, the other leased loco.

Edited by w124bob