Deffors O gauge 60cm x 244cm (2' x 8')

sir douglas

• 3 weeks later...

a problem came up many months ago, after laying the covering in the goods yard, that the area nearer the window has turned purple, it must be an ink based colouring and with it being exposed to the strong summer sun, it faded, so at some point i'll need to get something like black sand, soot or similar to scatter over it

37941566356_d5d162b9b8_b.jpgDeffors (194) by Sam, on Flickr

today I started to do the ballasting, with some Woodland Scenics bought months ago, but firstly the track needed prepping for it, the wires, rodding tubes and the wall around the cranks were painted black and a temporary wall of masking tape along the bare board

26218824669_79e142085e_b.jpgDeffors (193) by Sam, on Flickr

37941562516_fe16066d98_b.jpgDeffors (192) by Sam, on Flickr

below, the ballast is laid but not set in, i have donw it since this photo, a 1:1 water and PVA mix

24143331528_741f94cbfe_b.jpgDeffors (195) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 3

i did put some plastic sheet between the tracks but it leaked to the unprotected area, you can see it 2 posts up, its only small area that was glued together but it was firm, its been prized apart now, i gave a few hard wacks with a chisel and mallet. the sheets were taken out, the masking tape ripped off and the rails cleaned up

• Like 2

the bridge is being glued in

24412577508_6d55c8a089_b.jpgDeffors (200) by Sam, on Flickr

i stated repainting the backscene with base coats, the brown for the field was left over from painting the bridge with some more burnt umber in it, and stripes of lightbet brown were painted over it for the plow ridges but its a bit too faint to see in the photo

38283547131_98b0c252ea_b.jpgDeffors (202) by Sam, on Flickr

i was also going to paint over some of the tree line with the sky pale blue but i dont like the look of it, can paint go mouldy?

37572682084_a72d93fde8_h.jpg001 by Sam, on Flickr

the bridge is being glued in

24412577508_6d55c8a089_b.jpgDeffors (200) by Sam, on Flickr

i stated repainting the backscene with base coats, the brown for the field was left over from painting the bridge with some more burnt umber in it, and stripes of lightbet brown were painted over it for the plow ridges but its a bit too faint to see in the photo

38283547131_98b0c252ea_b.jpgDeffors (202) by Sam, on Flickr

i was also going to paint over some of the tree line with the sky pale blue but i dont like the look of it, can paint go mouldy?

37572682084_a72d93fde8_h.jpg001 by Sam, on Flickr

Yeap, it can separate out over time

My “sky” paint has done the same, gone all gritty, lumpy and separated, after being stored in an unheated shed for about three years. It’s an ideal colour, and easy to buy, but only comes in huge trade-sized ”buckets”, so I’m trying to ‘nurse it along’ rather than buy a vast amount that will never get used!

Another job before the show is to fill, sand and paint the side and ends as well as paint the back of backscene, these will be black and a light grey in the fiddleyard

24437650188_590e620acf_b.jpgDeffors (206) by Sam, on Flickr

The same filler was also applied to 2 areas of the blue foamboard, the banking from the bridge to the station, the banking from about point 4 to the bufferstop and a little patch up infront of the cattle dock

24437647558_88a34e02fc_b.jpgDeffors (205) by Sam, on Flickr

24437652518_4ccdc23bf6_b.jpgDeffors (207) by Sam, on Flickr

since the goods yard is a bit barren i was going to mock up some simple building at least just for the show but looking through some card building kits ive had for years and only yesterday remembered them , in there are 2 Alphagraphix, a NER yard office and small GWR signal box

the NER office will be built as-is, but without the weigh plate and the coal merchant sign

38253265196_ce53102d49_b.jpgDeffors (203) by Sam, on Flickr

The GWR signal box has small windows so without the name board itll look okay as a yard hut

24437643738_cfb49124ed_b.jpgDeffors (204) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 2

Those huts, in the context of your layout, put me in mind of Fockerby, the nowheresville terminus of the Axholme Joint Railway.

I don't know if it was your inspiration, but if not, google for pictures of it to see what I mean.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

The yard office kit has been built with the addition of copper tube which were offcuts from the point rodding

37643143624_6f7fdbd2ec_b.jpgDeffors (209) by Sam, on Flickr

37643149054_2793719c50_b.jpgDeffors (211) by Sam, on Flickr

i dont want to have a blank white box for the station masters house, ages back i bought 3 sheets of english bond brick

37643151804_143c763b44_b.jpgDeffors (212) by Sam, on Flickr

building up the porch before gluing it on

38302152266_94e4c3a062_b.jpgDeffors (213) by Sam, on Flickr

37643156514_46ab0be718_b.jpgDeffors (214) by Sam, on Flickr

All the brickwork on and styrene arches

26581888009_7995ffe157_b.jpgDeffors (216) by Sam, on Flickr

26581885569_c2f706abea_b.jpgDeffors (215) by Sam, on Flickr

i should probably also start the bay window

this morning i had a running session and found things to fettle and improve and which have been done

38326535472_801652093f_b.jpg12-11-2017 (1) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 8

You're taking the old "promise your layout into an exhibition on a fixed date if you want to force yourself to finish it" trick right to the wire, aren't you?

It is looking very good, and I wish you very good luck for the expo ....... if Wakefield wasn't some Far-Up-North place, where I assume it is permanant-night at this time of year, I'd come and have a look.

Kevin

• Like 1

Good luck at the show today Sam. Will be along sometime this afternoon and am really looking forward to seeing the layout. 

An earlier post referred to the Axholme Joint. Ran across the great flatness East  of Doncaster. Joint effort between NER and L and Y who later provided stock to replace the joint companies various museum pieces. I have some stuff on it if you are interested. There was hope of eastward expansion of the coalfields - and talk of a new Humber Port, but it all came to nothing, and it remained a rural backwater.  A very interesting railway. AL Barnett, Railways of the South Yorkshire Coalfield is a good reference point. 

I can assure Mr Nearholmer that it is not permanent night in Wakefield this time of year - we get at least an hours daylight!

The layout was running fine yesterday afternoon, and most of today, but in the last few hours , theres a problem somewhere on the cattle dock which shorts the power when i change the point to it, and my hand held controller seems to be dieing, its and AMR, i dont know how old it is or how good or bad that make was

ive just asked about it in here and go from there

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16567-amr-hand-held-controllers/

and hi to the people i had a chat to who read my threads, thanks for coming

Edited by sir douglas

The layout was running fine yesterday afternoon, and most of today, but in the last few hours , theres a problem somewhere on the cattle dock which shorts the power when i change the point to it, and my hand held controller seems to be dieing, its and AMR, i dont know how old it is or how good or bad that make was

ive just asked about it in here and go from there

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/16567-amr-hand-held-controllers/

and hi to the people i had a chat to who read my threads, thanks for coming

Great to see you exhibiting and seeing your stock in action. You will fettle that little problem!