Heaton Lodge Junction

Simon, does it need a sound chip in every wagon ? Surely one in say every three should do the trick and, if it doesn't then put one in every two then, if that doesn't work, then back to the original plan of one in each. Would it help if you first fit one in every three to check out the sound then, as a way of comparison, link up several wagons that are all chipped and see if there's much difference.

Just a thought.

Cheers mate.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes

Many years ago, I had the pleasure of being a regular operator on Ken Longbottom’s Diggle, Halebarns & Westport railway. The sound effects in those days were provided by the use of old reel-to-reel tape recorders with loops of tape, recorded & edited by Gordon Kennedy. Ken & Gordon had contrived to trigger the playback by means of relays, operated by train detection, so, if for example the express was signalled to race through Halebarns, it did so to the sonic accompaniment of a real train hammering through a real station.

Great fun, if a little startling the first time...

I had conjectured a magnet operated fixed sound effect for the bell and hooter of the ATC when passing over the ramp. Haven’t done anything more than conjecture, and buy some reed switches...

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Now that is a great idea! :)

Hi, I'm currently investigating doing something similar on my soon to be rebuilt (yet again!) N gauge layout St Mungo's.  I've yet to decide whether to use reed switches or irdot or similar.  My layout is based around the Cathcart Circle and every train emits flange squeal on some of the curves!  It might need tinkering but irdot, or similar, would dispense with the need for reed switches and magnets so it wouldn't be necessary to ensure that magnets were fitted to the end vehicle of a train.

Roja

• 3 weeks later...

I assume the stock you're planning must be run to a very long list! The train I'm most looking forward to is the Red Bank vans, as it's the one I have most personal connection with. Another interesting train was the Humber/Holyhead and return hopper working, 6E36 for the east bound working https://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_harvey_railway_photos/6326694536. Some good photos in the rest of the Mirfield album althought out of period for you.

Edited by w124bob

Thanks for that, yes that pic of Heaton Lodge was taken shortly after the down slow was lifted.

Likewise the Red Bank working will be a bit of a party piece on the model, being one of the longest heaviest trains to growl past.

I'm intrigued why the interest in this working? It was a sad day when it stopped running after decades passing the spot.

• Like 1

Ex Manchester Victoria driver, sadly I didn't transfer up until Nov '86 so missed the cl25's and 40's but did get a few cl45's over the route mainly on the 02.15 Vic Leeds papers. Loaded to 6 vans leaving Vic with 2 detached at Huddesfield,then just usually to Leeds with 4 GUV's/BG's but 2 were newspaper packing vans. Return to Vic light engine. So my memories are just a bit out of your period .

Ex Manchester Victoria driver, sadly I didn't transfer up until Nov '86 so missed the cl25's and 40's but did get a few cl45's over the route mainly on the 02.15 Vic Leeds papers. Loaded to 6 vans leaving Vic with 2 detached at Huddesfield,then just usually to Leeds with 4 GUV's/BG's but 2 were newspaper packing vans. Return to Vic light engine. So my memories are just a bit out of your period .

You must have worked that route dozens of times! Cheers

Unfortunately there won't be much modelling for the next 2 months while I switch to lighting the basement, painting the walls and concrete floor. Given its 600sq metres that's going to fun.

How many tins of Humrol will that be, Simon!

Cheers.

Allan.

• 2 weeks later...