Such a SIMPLE problem

TEAMYAKIMA

Here is a REALLY simple issue - embarrassingly easy really!

Each of my scenery boards has a 12v DC supply. This feeds the buildings lighting. Depending on the lighting conditions at different exhibtions I want to adjust the buildings lighting level

So I just need a simple panel mounting device that will adjust the brightness

Ideas please

• RMweb Gold

Ebay item number 152033804608, I have 2 on my layout.

This looks the kind of thing I'm looking for but really I'd like someting I could panel mount , ie a knob on a panel rather than a box on top

Here's an example of what you'd be looking at; click! At that price, I'd be tempted to get a few spare, just in case, and you'd never know what other purposes they'd might have ;)

This looks great but I'm not registered with this site - something similar on ebay?

Thanks for your input folks - MUCH appreciated

The item on ebay, mentioned by NickG - remove the lid, the pot can be panel mounted, with the box below, the leads to the pot come with a plug on the lead. Plenty of uncased versions (like that mentioned by Dutchmaster) on ebay for about the same price., too.

You  say you need 12 volts.  Most "12 volt" controllers including the Basic Triang / Hornby controller above are  around 19 volt s off load (I have 2) and the PWM speed controller is going to be somewhere similar if fed from the 12 volt DC or the 16 volt AC  

I suppose you could add a smoothing capacitor across the output of the PWM unit to stop the bulbs flickering

I'm guessing you are using bulbs not LEDs

The ideal is a variable transformer like a H and M Safety Minor. or a Morley or OnTrack where you can vary the off load voltage with the control knob.  However this is going to be expensive.

Personally I would use a DC power source and a simple diode based controller, a 12 way rotary switch with 1N400 standard 1 amp diodes between each contact so between none and 11 diodes can be in circuit in line.  This would give supply voltage and 11 X 0.6 volt steps down from the supply voltage.   I made one for an emergency train controller when on holiday some years ago and it works surprisingly well much better than H and M Duettes and the like, but it needed two diodes inn series between some contacts to give a slow enough slow speed.

post-21665-0-46209900-1462041232_thumb.png

Just make sure you connect the +ve input to the green wire and take the output from the red wire, with the way the diodes are drawn.

Also, remember that a 1N400x series diode will actually drop nearer 1V at its full rated current of 1 A.

• 3 weeks later...

I used these to independantly control the lighting brightness in different areas on the club layout during its ongoing rewire.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boost-Buck-DC-adjustable-step-up-down-Converter-XL6009-Module-Voltage-NEW-2016-/231885832221?hash=item35fd79001d:g:zPAAAOSwnLdWq24N

I manage to get 5 for £1.50 so shop around.

Archived